PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ProFootballFocus rankings - Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please don't try and insult us British as if we know nothing about the sport.

Happens a lot on here.

Some of you want to look in the mirror before you go insulting the real football as well.

Looked in the mirror, still the same sagging middle-aged bastard I was before crackin' wise on Brits.

In defense of the site, I must say there are plenty of bad American sites about American football (the real football, by the way.)

I have no problem with Brits calling soccer football. There's no reason that I, as a proud American, should yield to the majority of the world's opinion that football should be a sport where contact between a foot and a ball is the primary activity. Christ, we don't accept the rest of the world's opinion on far worse things, why should sports nomenclature be an exception?

This site has some good stuff although some flaws in analysis at certain points. You can look at the more objective peripheral numbers as well as their opinion on ranking. For QBs it seems that the defense is not adjusted for, whereas a site like football outsiders tries to take that into account. All the peripheral numbers (ignoring defense) would point to the QB rankings being accurate (like Brady #10). But if you try to adjust for defense/schedule the picture may be different.

Interestingly Brady was 3rd among QBs for dropped passes (34).

Last edited:
How is Jonathan Babineaux the best DT in football and Tony Richardson the worst FB?

Last edited:
Kris Dielman the 59th best OG? Steve Hutchinson 38th? Wow.

That site is ridiculous.

Some Bears WR named Devin Aromashodu is ranked higher than Calvin Johnson, Mike Sims-Walker, Brandon Marshall, Steve Smith, and Roddy White.

Detroit Lions OT Jeff Backus is ranked higher than Ryan Clady, Michael Oher, Jordan Gross, and Michael Roos.

How are Kevin Boss and Marcedes Lewis rated higher than Dallas Clark?

Just weird all around.

Overall, I think it's a pretty fair assessment. I was surprised at Brady's ranking though, so I checked it out. I didn't have a problem with the guys ahead of him EXCEPT how the heck does David Garrard rank a spot higher? Any formula that concludes David Garrard was better than Tom Brady is messed-up. I'm not saying Tom had a great year, but really, David Garrard's a top 10 QB?

On QB's.

Well, when you look inside the ratings, it's clear that Garrard gets bumped up because of his 35 runs for an unspecified number of yards.

The methodology for "Pass" and "Run" ratings is a black box (probably explained somewhere on the site), but then they add the Pass plus Run ratings and subtract the Penalty rating to get the "Overall" rating.

If you just sort by Pass Rating (far right column, misleadingly titled "NFL Rating"), the top 10 remain the same with a couple of flips except for Flacco and Garrard, who drop out and get replaced by Romo and McNabb (among those who started most of the season). Brady remains 10 by Pass Rating, BTW.

So, it pretty well mimics the Pass Rating but gives a boost to QB's who run a lot, I guess. In other words, it really doesn't add very much insight to the Pass Rating; amazing what people can do with a web page and too much time on their hands. :rolleyes:

Anyway, it says to me that the Peyton Publicity machine was in overdrive to make the MVP Voters give him the award by such a wide margin; Brees and Rivers were clearly as deserving, IMO.

Last edited:
.....more like ProFootballBOGUS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back