PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What a rebound

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brady: 17-21, ~150 something yards, 2 TDs (should've been three had Watson not dropped one in the EZ)

Stallworth: Made a nice adjustment and fought off a PI non-call to catch a bomb/floater from Brady.

OL: In a word: great. I had no gripes with anyone's play.

Vince: Blocked two FGs, is a monster in the middle.

Meriweather: Hits hard, sure tackler, seems safety is his natural position.

AD: Looks good, though at times appears a bit tentative (probably still getting his responsibilities down).

Hobbs: Didn't really notice much, which of course is a good thing. He didn't get burnt.

sounds good man appreciate it..

I thought on the first block Vince puched the pile while green actually got the block? Kareem Brown helped push the pile on the second block.

Yeah, you may be right. I thought it was either Wilfork or Green.

There was only ONE downside beyond Dante Wesley. The Punt return units continue to be an issue. I hope this gets cleared up when Wright returns.

Big Kudos to Randall Gay.

Indeed. I don't understand why some fans keep baggin on the kid. Smart, good coverage skils, can fly and he's also a sure tackler. The kid can play.

But for me, the story of the game was Maroney. His presence in the line-up just changes the entire character of the RB corp and makes the other RBs better. The second offensive series of the game was a thing of beauty. Knock the teeth in the back of their throat brand of power football with an attitude against an excellent opposing front seven.

I just thought Tory barely registered at all.

Neither did Hobbs, for that matter. Not necessarily a bad thing.

It looked to me like Maroney was running very carefully the first series, almost like he was scared of getting hurt. Great game plan though, keep giving him the ball. He soon became more aggressive with his running and looked a lot more confident that he wouldn't get hurt. Morris and Welker also showed they were valuable pickups. The whole team (especially the offensive line) looked really good tonight.

Cousins,
Much better blocking all around. TB was good. Caldwell played decent. Of the kids, #51 still looks like a keeper. #31 did allright too. #49 was so-so with an INT. Of the street FA's, I believe #82 has made the team. Much better blocker than Watson and did you notice they split Ben out tonite? Great defense but!!!..........On the TD play does anyone notice Wilson pulls up lame at the five and to all you James Sanders hard cores out there, I believe he palyed himself right to third team. Has he covered anyone since he has been drafted? He is a major liability. He is awful unless you watched a different game. All you #36 fans will question my mental status but cousins, it is what it is. My opinion means absolutely nothing so don't wish me to the woodshed. #36 gave a great immitation on what to do on your back yard Slip and Slide as the "highly touted speed merchant" Kerry Colbert blows right by him!!! Still won't forgive the Colts game winning TD on him. He gave up! Little Willie #23 looked much better than Sanders and Wilson will be wearing red this week.
They need safety depth badly. I hope Hawkins is on speed dial.

Concerned about the kicker though. No excuses as he is not doing well this preseason. The punter relaxed as well with no competition. Fair to what was that, only.
Keep those cards and letter coming about James Sanders especially all his relatives that have been blasting ol' DW Toys. I am sorry if I have made you evil but it's just a comment from a observer who does think we have a problem here. Alas, they don't pay me for my opinion.
DW Toys

Merriweather - looked solid when I paid attention to him, but he was playing the 4th quarter. A sign that he's not yet a starter? That's OK for now, though.

Rodney - consistently laying out big hits every week. And helpful ones, not just highlight reel trash.

O-Line - praised all over this forum tonight. I agree for pass protecting. I had this sinking feeling, though, that we still can't run the ball that well. We did OK I guess, and it will get easier with Moss out there. Heath Evans was our only runner to reach the 4 yds/carry mark tonight, while Carolina had three do it. (I know, stats can be misleading.)

Marcellus - more than just a body at tight end. Kept showing up in nice productive ways!

Gay - Steve Smith kept trying him, and either it would be incomplete, or a penalty on Smith! Gay looked like a solid starter tonight. If we get to have him as a rotational backup, what a luxury!

Bruschi - looked lost defending one pass that came near him without him seeming to know what to do (when he sort of pushed the receiver to the ball). But on one of the field goal blocks, I watched him on the replay and it was fascinating. He started in the middle, and kept driving right up the center, and never stopped, and next thing you knew the FG was blocked! Was he following Wilfork? I'll have to watch again. But it did look as if Tedy helped increase the push up the middle.

Maroney - I'm already tired of holding my breath every time he gets hit, hoping for no injuries. I was equally uncomfortable when Hobbs returned a kickoff. Admittedly Hobbs is great at it, though.

Richardson - fell down as the ball arrived on Carolina's long TD catch.

One more thing: Wes Welker is a star. He looks to me like he may be the most productive receiver on the team this season.

Last edited:
Cousins,
Much better blocking all around. TB was good. Caldwell played decent. Of the kids, #51 still looks like a keeper. #31 did allright too. #49 was so-so with an INT. Of the street FA's, I believe #82 has made the team. Much better blocker than Watson and did you notice they split Ben out tonite? Great defense but!!!..........On the TD play does anyone notice Wilson pulls up lame at the five and to all you James Sanders hard cores out there, I believe he palyed himself right to third team. Has he covered anyone since he has been drafted? He is a major liability. He is awful unless you watched a different game. All you #36 fans will question my mental status but cousins, it is what it is. My opinion means absolutely nothing so don't wish me to the woodshed. #36 gave a great immitation on what to do on your back yard Slip and Slide as the "highly touted speed merchant" Kerry Colbert blows right by him!!! Still won't forgive the Colts game winning TD on him. He gave up! Little Willie #23 looked much better than Sanders and Wilson will be wearing red this week.

Concerned about the kicker though. No excuses as he is not doing well this preseason. The punter relaxed as well with no competition. Fair to what was that, only.
Keep those cards and letter coming about James Sanders especially all his relatives that have been blasting ol' DW Toys. I am sorry if I have made you evil but it's just a comment from a observer who does think we have a problem here. Alas, they don't pay me for my opinion.
DW Toys

Not more of this crap. There's a reason you don't get paid for your opinion... and I'm sure I don't need to spell it out for you (and it goes beyond the fact that your posts are borderline incomprehensible).

Look, chief, there are VERY FEW PLAYERS in the NFL who could've made that play, taking someone on running full speed in the open field. It's hardly an indictment on Sanders. I very highly doubt Harrison would have made that play, either.

The fact that you think we need MORE safety depth is laughable.

Now, back to reality.

Last edited:
Did Wilson get hurt or something? I noticed that Sanders took his place eventually while the first teamers were still in...

Cousin Jack,
Thank you for your comments and I respect what you say. I have never said I was as knowledgable as you are, nor do I pretend to be. It's just an observation by a differing source. Don't take this stuff personal. It's not yours or my livelyhood. Sorry my thought process is incomprehensible to you as well. I believe you are very smart. I have never questioned that. You are more than welcome to shout me down.
O.K. a prediction now. Look at the replay on the Colbert TD. I think Wilson is hurt pretty good. In fact in his last contract year, if it is another hamstring, that could have been his last Patriots play. I hope it's not bad, but I think it looked that way. I think they bring back Hawkins if they put Wilson on IR. James goes back to ST and Merriweather comes in as the #3 safety left or right (FS or SS) after his nickel gig.

O.K. What depth do you see at safety that I am missing? Cousins are we thin at safety if Wilson is down, or is Cousin Jack correct with his assumptions about my thought process?
Question: Would any of you out there feel secure in a Playoff game against the Colts or the Bolts at the end of this year with #36 starting? I respect all of your input.
Jack, you are a very good contributor and major player of this site. I hope I am dead wrong about Mr. Sanders, but so far I beg to differ with you, that's all. No blood is being shed or families harmed.
DW Toys

I am sure I saw Wilson walking normal on the field after the Panthers TD where he was supposedly injured. They showed him for a few seconds.

Last edited:
Cousin,
I hope cause so he looked good tonite. He was definately hobbling hard at about the five on the TD play if you look at the replay. Did not play after that that I saw although many did not.
DW Toys

Question: Would any of you out there feel secure in a Playoff game against the Colts or the Bolts at the end of this year with #36 starting?

Yes, I would be confident. Said this, Sanders whiffed a tackle he should have made on the TD. What is the big deal about admitting this?

By the way, can you please stop calling me cousin. No offense, but it's a bit creepy and I feel like you'll try to sell me flower beads anytime now via PM.

Neither did Hobbs, for that matter. Not necessarily a bad thing.

Yes, but don't you see? I LIKE Hobbs so when he doesn't show up it's a good thing. Tory James is a JAG waste-of-space vet, so when HE doesn't show up it's a BAD thing. Try to keep up! ;)

Cousins,

DW Toys

My nomination for most absurd, silly post of the night. Good CHRIST. James Sanders made one bad play - on a play where half the team F'd up - and now he's relegated to 3rd teamers?

And Gostkowski misses one make-able kick - and barely - and then ALSO barely misses a 52-yarder, while providing FANTASTIC kick-offs and field position the rest of the game. Obviously he's had a sketchy-ish T.C./pre-season, but it hasn't been awful.

This chicken little routine is asinine. You guys act like the Patriots will only truly be ready for the season when they score EVERY TIME they get the ball, shut out every opponent, and never make a mistake. It's a little silly. Do they have stuff to work on? Sure. Is James Sanders perfect? Hardly. But Belichick seems to love him and, for the most part, the kid has improved by leaps and bounds. In my book it's arguable he could START ahead of Geno, except for the fact that he's more of a "Rodney" type of safety.

Take a breath, cuz.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye