PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What a complete, utter over reaction!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The saying that gets used to tell people to calm down after a good preseason game is the same one that should be used for posters getting ready to jump from the Bourne bridge after a bad preseason effort...

We don't know anything until the regular season starts. ;) :D

Apparently your sarcasm meter is malfunctioning...

Well, after an irritating night - thanks to Irene and the Pats - most of my meters are not functioning and I can't figure out your comment. :confused:

Welker possibly has a stinger and is not on IR, right?

Deep threat this, Deep threat that. I'm sick of hearing about it. Until they put an O-Line in front of Brady that can BLOCK, there will be no need for a deep threat on this team. :mad:

That game last night disgusted me. Not because they lost, but because they didn't compete at all. They got pushed around all night.

You've got a point. I'll say it again. Connolly is serviceable at best. I know RT didn't work out well, but could we try Light at RG? I know he's never played on that side. I think he has the power for it.

You've got a point. I'll say it again. Connolly is serviceable at best. I know RT didn't work out well, but could we try Light at RG? I know he's never played on that side. I think he has the power for it.

Connelly was injured last night and when he went down that was when things really went to hell.

I agree with DefenseRules that you could sense a general lack of effort. You could especially see it with the defensive line who looked like they were counting to 3 Mississippi before rushing. All in all, it was the worst game, preseason or not, I have seen them play in recent memory. It was bad.

My hope is that the team was more concerned about getting on the plane to beat the storm rather an indicator of their readiness for the season. At this point they don't look ready for the season. They still have a ways to go but still have a couple of weeks to get there. That's the bright side.

And as for Ocho, I wouldn't be too hard on him either. Brady looked more off the mark than anyone last night and the only ones he really looked in sync with were Hernandez and Welker. Has Branch even caught a pass this preseason? At some point the responsibility for not getting on the same page has to fall on Brady as well. It shouldn't be this hard to find receivers Brady can play with. The pattern is beginning to irk me.

Yes it was clearly a bad game, but BB now has something else to show the team!

I am not too worried!

Deep threat this, Deep threat that. I'm sick of hearing about it. Until they put an O-Line in front of Brady that can BLOCK, there will be no need for a deep threat on this team. :mad:

That game last night disgusted me. Not because they lost, but because they didn't compete at all. They got pushed around all night.

I'm sick of hearing the deep threat talk to but for a different reason. I'm sick of hearing it because it isn't absolutely necessary to winning a football game or even a playoff game. It was a luxury during the Moss years. The Pats won all their SB's without a true deep threat. They used Patten and then Branch primarily in those years. Neither one of them consistently commanded double teams.

The Patriots were the highest scoring team in the league last year without Moss or the deep threat that everyone keeps bringing up. They have two stud TE's that are match-up nightmares for almost every defense in the league. They have versatile RB's that can catch out of the backfield (this includes Ridley). They have a young speedster in Price who seems to be coming along nicely. They'll be fine.

I don't think I'd call my self a wave rider. I enjoy watching the Pats, even when they play like this. Call Rex emotional, but he's been getting the best of us in the playoffs. They seem to play hard for him.

I think part of the problem is with Brady. I've been saying it for a while. He needs to stop sitting on the bench with that look on his face and start firing some people up like the young Brady.
Tom needs to throw the ball to the receivers...his play was weak.

Some people need to relax with last nights game

Oh, he played poorly, no question about it. But he had pressure in his face in nearly every snap. The OL was beaten as badly as I've ever seen.

The only thing I was really upset with was the effort or lack there of. I didn't think the Pats came in with an agressive gameplan against a team with an extremely aggressive one, but that didn't excuse the mental mistakes, poor execution, horrible tackling, etc.

On the whole, I don't put too much stock in preseason games, but I am never happy when the Pats dog it.

I am getting messages from friends about how bad the team looked and how they suck. About how Brady is over the hill and Welker is never coming back. It's a joke. This is why I don't watch any preseason football, it has no meaning on how good a team is and people act like its a game in late December.

Brandon Tate had 400 yards last season....so why should the Pats keep Chad over Tate when both have been pretty awful this preseason but at least Tate still has more potential?

Well I just wish Tate would display SOME of that potential sometime soon!!! Whether it is not being able to learn the O well enough, or not running the routes sharply enough....whatever... I agree with you that coming out of college this kid had HUGE potential. So did Chad Jackson......and it seems more and more each day that Tate is going the way of Chad Jackson. A decent KR and a rarely productive receiver isn't going to cut it ...

Tate sucks...get rid of him

Tate wasn't a good receiver in college, why expect him to be one in the Pros.

Tate wasn't a good receiver in college, why expect him to be one in the Pros.

Say whaaat?? He was better than Hamkeen Nicks in College. Think I'm bs'ing you? Go ask a Tar Heel fan.
That's why he was rated to go in the 1st round till he tore his knee up in college and fell all the way to the 3rd.

This is the complete polar opposite of the reaction people had after the first two preseason games. Overreaction in both instances. We had posters talking about this team potentially being better than the 07 team after the first two preseason games. http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/10/788424-assertion-team-has-more-upside-potential-than-any-recent-history-discuss.html

The Pats are not going to look as bad as they looked tonight. But then again, we are not going to look as good as we looked in the first two preseason games.

One thing is for certain, our first team OL got their butts kicked pretty much the same way our OL got their butts kicked against the Jets in the playoffs. Brady is still not the same pre-injury when he's getting pressured constantly. He's not steping up to make throws.

great flip side of the coin view here condon.....the door swings both ways regarding preseason games with fans. Some overreact when we win and think automatically that they are going to the SB!!! Others may overreact when the team loses in the preseason. I think last night was just such a piss poor performance by ALMOST everyone, whether they be starter or backup....that it is hard/unfair to call any criticism of them.....an "OVERREACTION". The entire OL, and yes a bunch of starters were in there for awhile....got their butts kicked and almost got brady killed! The defense looked like they had never played together before. The almost always incredible devin McCourty looked more like Duane Starks (alright that isn't fair...but McCourty was very shaky last night. I think Hernandez and Welk were the only two that came to play. I think also to just say "hey they're backups...what are you worrying about them playing crappy for...big deal" But it is a big deal....considering they are one bad hit on a starter away from coming in the game themselves! And if they are playing this "sloppy" now....god help us when the games really count!

Most of Moss' routes were vertical routes. They are asking Ochocinco to run outside, inside, short and intermediate routes.

Ochocinco was never brought in to be another Moss. He isn't fast enough to be Moss. He was brought in to be an outside threat who could also go over the middle. Ochocinco is close to Branch at this point than Moss, although he is not like Branch either.

At the end Moss was running those routes too. I don't think they brought him in to go over the middle tho. That's why Gronk/Hernandez/Welker are for. They were expecting him to run all the routes Moss did in 2010 which was a lot more then he was running in 2007 causing this significant learning curve.

great flip side of the coin view here condon.....the door swings both ways regarding preseason games with fans. Some overreact when we win and think automatically that they are going to the SB!!! Others may overreact when the team loses in the preseason. I think last night was just such a piss poor performance by ALMOST everyone, whether they be starter or backup....that it is hard/unfair to call any criticism of them.....an "OVERREACTION". The entire OL, and yes a bunch of starters were in there for awhile....got their butts kicked and almost got brady killed! The defense looked like they had never played together before. The almost always incredible devin McCourty looked more like Duane Starks (alright that isn't fair...but McCourty was very shaky last night. I think Hernandez and Welk were the only two that came to play. I think also to just say "hey they're backups...what are you worrying about them playing crappy for...big deal" But it is a big deal....considering they are one bad hit on a starter away from coming in the game themselves! And if they are playing this "sloppy" now....god help us when the games really count!

It doesn't. You play hard no matter what it is. I can accept a loss. I was just as big a fan when we were the worst team in the league. What I hate is a lack of effort and passion among some players. In the words of Herm Edwards, "...I don't care if you don't have any wins. You go play to win"

Good post. I agree. Don't care if we play balls to the wall and get beat by the better team that day.....and Yes ad nauseum, I know this is preseason ball. But play with some intensity....at least for the first half!! And all those backups should be playing LIKE THEY are playing for a roster spot....every down!! But most of them were sleepwalking; going through the motions like a walkthrough. Pathetic. I think the tape of this will give BB some idea on who's a## is getting cut!

Say whaaat?? He was better than Hamkeen Nicks in College. Think I'm bs'ing you? Go ask a Tar Heel fan.
That's why he was rated to go in the 1st round till he tore his knee up in college and fell all the way to the 3rd.

Read his career stats and if you consider that good, stop following football.

Agreed. Brady did not play sharp football last night. However, if the OL can not provide him time to throw the football (and again, I don't care if it is backup or starter...) he will obviously NOT be productive. So much of his success starts with the OL because we all know he can't run that well to make things happen effectively outside the pocket!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back