PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wes Welker signs with Denver Broncos

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't get it.
How could 2 years, 12 million be more than the Pats offered?
Or how could it be more than any other team was willing to offer?

Mallet, two 1sts, for Fitzgerald PLEASE

Sign Heyward-Bey

and Fitz's cap hit averaging 16 mil per season over the next 6 years? No thanks.

Nothing like pissing off your GOAT QB by letting go of his best receiver, and close friend for a measly $2m over 2 yrs. I bet TFB would love to take back that restructured deal now.

BB is an ahole. Way to screw Brady. We are not winning another SB with this egotist at the helm. The dynasty died in 2007. Time to move on...

Go root for another team, then. You're clearly not a Pats fan.

BB is an ahole. Way to screw Brady. We are not winning another SB with this egotist at the helm. The dynasty died in 2007. Time to move on...

So what team will you be rooting for now?

Brady should hold out.

I wouldn't go that far. Now the next step is going to be that they likely knew the repercussions of what that deal may have meant and that he could have walked away. One would have to believe there's some sort of plan in place, we'll just have to see how it plays out because I have a hard time believing they'll go into next season without a solid group to work with.

So mad right now. What a joke. Big loss. BIG

It's okay just draft a super fast wide out with great route running who is 6'5 in the draft. No problem. Can probably trade back and pick him in the 3rd round. With the other pick we'll take a hard hitting safety who is elite at covering wide outs and tight ends that everyone is saying is so easy to get.

Nothing like pissing off your GOAT QB by letting go of his best receiver, and close friend for a measly $2m over 2 yrs. I bet TFB would love to take back that restructured deal now.

If Welker wanted to stay, that 2m wouldn't have mattered.

Seriously, how can someone be so greedy that 10m isn't enough?

I'll be able to accept this more easily if the Patriots now go out and sign some good Defensive Players and big and physical Outside Receivers.

If the Patriots give Tom Brady a 2006 receiving corp again with the defense as is, it's a wasted year. Brady has to be feeling betrayed.

2/12? Can that be right?

I simply cannot believe this. This is stunning to me.

I have felt, in the last couple of years, that there is a level of hubris to this organization. In the past it has made me mildly uncomfortable. Today, it leaves me speechless. This is staggering.

I was certainly not one of those who felt that the Pats HAD to have Wes Welker to survive. However I am surprised by the low numbers that are being reported. If it's true that 2 years and $12MM is what it took to get him, and 2 years and 10MM plus incentives is what the Pats offered, then I'm at a loss for words. I feel your pain, Ivan. ;)

I can only speculate that the Pats (as well as other teams) saw a significant drop in Wes' athleticism, even though his production remained high. I've always maintained that when smaller receivers "hit the wall" they hit it hard and fast. That's the ONLY explanation I can see for not matching the Denver offer.

The other piece of speculation I'd like to offer is that I have to believe they have a plan B. I don't know if its Danny Amendola, or a raid on the Giant's Victor Cruz. Or it could be some guy we have never heard of. Remember not many people had heard of Wes Welker, or Miles Austin, or many other NOW well kmow WR's before they "brokeout".

It does feel weird that he's gone. But this won't be the last time we have to discuss it. Good thing we don't have to play a game next week. It will be 6 months before we have to do that, and a lot can happen before that.

2 things we know for certain. The Pats offense is going to be good.....and its going to be different that in the recent past. I have know clue as to how this will break down, but its going to be wildly interesting to find out.

Well my panties are officially ruffled.

Welker was one of my favorite Pats.

I wanted him here if the contract was reasonable.

6 million a year is reasonable.

This. Really. Sucks.

I don't get it.
How could 2 years, 12 million be more than the Pats offered?
Or how could it be more than any other team was willing to offer?

Heard the Patriots (low-ball) offer is 5m/yr for 2yrs.

Welker came back to Patriots to see if they want to MATCH it. NOT better it, but, MATCH it, and Patriots said NO.

Patriots is really really a crappy cheap company. Patriots screwed Brady BIG time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BillB sucks.

Huge loss. Not sure what Bill was thinking....

Really stupid posts from two people I generally have high respect for here.

only thing stupider is someone saying they'll lose interest in the team because of this.

Why not offer him something like 3/20 last year then? Why even franchise tag him at all in 2012? I mean, this is ridiculous.

Its certainly odd that they felt he was worth 9.5 last year but only worth 2/10 this year. 1 year of added age doesn't bring you down that much in value.
Also odd that 2/12 is all he got -- maybe he limited his teams to contenders and hence his market.
If I were Seattle, I'd be kicking myself for giving 11m/year to a malcontent plus 3 draft picks when Welker could've been had

Re: Re: Wes Welker signs with Denver Broncos

The homers on this board are ridiculous. This fkn reeks of BB hubris. That egomaniac didn't like WW. That's what this is about.
He was benched in a playoff game for a fkn foot joke?! BB can go suck an egg. What an ahole. Hire some real nfl pros and stop plugging a #5wr into cb slot. They squandered Brady's best years with this nonsense.

You might get grief from a few here but i couldn't agree more. This is gonna come back to haunt them. Once in a lifetime QB. How many years were wasted with this type of B.S?

This sucks man. Havent been emotionally attatched to many players like I am with him. Dont care how lame that sounds. Im gonna be sick.

Our H.C isnt who we thought he was. He doesnt put everything aside for the sake of winning. He hurts the team for petty personal vendettas.
They pay Ocho 6 mill/yr but not for Wes ******* Welker??? **** you Bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST