PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wes Welker signs with Denver Broncos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can we at least now sign Woodhead quick, I want to see him more working in the slot, and is a guy that seems to share brain with Brady, any news on him??

Only one happier than me that Buttahfingahz is gone is Bradys wife. Why do people keep calling Wes one of a kind? He just got a 2 year deal for 6 mill a year where were alll the other teams who valued him so high? They didnt cause Wes was a product of the system.

This goes to show how little you know about football. Welker was not a product of the system. Welker was putting up damn good numbers despite crappy QBs in Miami. Please go back to lurking and not posting. Thanks.

Wow, the Pats didn't match 2 years, $12 million? I could understand not matching 4 years, $36 million, but 2/12 is fair market, if not below-market, for Welker. I'm now officially perplexed.

I wouldn't go that far. Now the next step is going to be that they likely knew the repercussions of what that deal may have meant and that he could have walked away. One would have to believe there's some sort of plan in place, we'll just have to see how it plays out because I have a hard time believing they'll go into next season without a solid group to work with.

stop being rational Ian, much easier to whine like a little girl over this when it's ******* day 2 of free agency. Get a grip people.

I be honest i wanted Welker to go but not to try too sign him for only 2 years 12 mil is shocking. Wow. The Pats better have something big up their sleeves or they look foolish and we will be in big trouble.

If Welker wanted to stay, that 2m wouldn't have mattered.

Seriously, how can someone be so greedy that 10m isn't enough?

Thats one way to look at it. The other is: really? 2m is that big of a deal for your QB n1 receiver?

The truth most likely lies in the middle. If both parts wanted eachnother, wes would be here. He clearly didnt want that much just like the patriots apparently didnt want him that much.

Moving on...

I was certainly not one of those who felt that the Pats HAD to have Wes Welker to survive. However I am surprised by the low numbers that are being reported. If it's true that 2 years and $12MM is what it took to get him, and 2 years and 10MM plus incentives is what the Pats offered, then I'm at a loss for words. I feel your pain, Ivan. ;)

I can only speculate that the Pats (as well as other teams) saw a significant drop in Wes' athleticism, even though his production remained high. I've always maintained that when smaller receivers "hit the wall" they hit it hard and fast. That's the ONLY explanation I can see for not matching the Denver offer.

The other piece of speculation I'd like to offer is that I have to believe they have a plan B. I don't know if its Danny Amendola, or a raid on the Giant's Victor Cruz. Or it could be some guy we have never heard of. Remember not many people had heard of Wes Welker, or Miles Austin, or many other NOW well kmow WR's before they "brokeout".

It does feel weird that he's gone. But this won't be the last time we have to discuss it. Good thing we don't have to play a game next week. It will be 6 months before we have to do that, and a lot can happen before that.

2 things we know for certain. The Pats offense is going to be good.....and its going to be different that in the recent past. I have know clue as to how this will break down, but its going to be wildly interesting to find out.

Patriots are pursing Amendola, probably low-ball him, too.. Patriots probably save 2m/yr by signing a "injury-prone" WR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is totally crap. Once Amendola gets hurt this season, play for the Patriots, Welker will be smiling big time.

short of the pats getting tavon austin im not sure they can viably replace WW. A jennings would be nice because we still need a down the field threat. I would vote that we go for him then amendola at this point if not both. everything else should be directed towards the defense though. i hear asomugha might be going to the 49ers.... ****kk

Or it could be some guy we have never heard of. Remember not many people had heard of Wes Welker, or Miles Austin, or many other NOW well kmow WR's before they "brokeout".

Is this a joke? For every unheard of unheralded WR Welker or Austin catch in FA, there are 250 total scrub idiots that never amount to anything after be retained by every NFL team every offseason.

Your statement is akin to "Oh Brady is going to retire, big deal, we have a 6th round pick so we can definitely find a 110 QBR guy no problem with the best TD/INT ratio in the modern era".

This goes to show how little you know about football. Welker was not a product of the system. Welker was putting up damn good numbers despite crappy QBs in Miami. Please go back to lurking and not posting. Thanks.

67 receptions for 687 yards and 1 touchdown is "damn good numbers"? I like Welker as much as most, but calling his pre-Patriots production damn good is a stretch, to say the least.

What the hell guys? Why is everyone blaming it on Belichick? I'll bet Welker didn't want to be here and wanted to stick it to the Pats. Maybe that happened, maybe it didn't. Please stop bashing Bill.

I can only speculate that the Pats (as well as other teams) saw a significant drop in Wes' athleticism, even though his production remained high. I've always maintained that when smaller receivers "hit the wall" they hit it hard and fast. That's the ONLY explanation I can see for not matching the Denver offer.

The only plausible explanation I can think of is that either (A) they saw stuff on film that bothered them, or (B) TPTB believe that he's on the verge of dropping off in the very near future.

Really stupid posts from two people I generally have high respect for here.

So saying that:

1.) We won't win another SB with BB

2.) The dynasty died in 2007 (doesn't even make sense when you think about it)

3.) It's time to move on

...isn't worthy of reproach?

OK.

Tom Curran report that TFB is not happy.
https://twitter.com/tomecurran

The source close to Brady was "enraged." I do not know Brady's state of mind. Sorry for the confusion.

I realy don't understand letting him go for $6mil. I thought he was looking for something in the range of $8-$10 mil for 3 years. this just blows my mind right now.

Last edited:

Just like Amendola....:cool:

In three seasons (not including his injured year) 191 catches in 41 games. First three years for Welker including his first in NE 208 catches in 48 games. Not hard to see the Pats thinking on this.

Defense wins championships...until we get better on defense, and I really love all the heart Wes gave us, does it really matter?

Defense...DEFENSE...we need a vastly improved Defense.

Defense.

We can fill in for Wes, to some extent.

We can move on.

Too much attention on not a big piece of our puzzle....IMHO.

I get Wes' importance, i really do...I appreciate him, I really do.

Defense.

Waiting for Andy Johnson, the chief Pats apologist to swoop in, 3,2,1........
This sucks. BB is a dik. Period.

It's sad they didn't match 6 million is a bargain. But the offense will be fine and the defense will be better with more money allocated towards that side of the ball. We have Tom Brady he wasn't made by Wes Welker they'll plug in other guys they aren't going to go out there with Lloyd and Slater as their wide receivers. BB didn't want him clearly so for all the Bill we trust homers stopped your *****ing and for a guy that doesn't think Bill is infallible I still think he has something planned he isn't stupid enough to go into a season without any wide receivers.

67 receptions for 687 yards and 1 touchdown is "damn good numbers"? I like Welker as much as most, but calling his pre-Patriots production damn good is a stretch, to say the least.

Who gives a crap what he did before the Pats? All I care about is what he did with the Pats. And with the Pats he was the most productive WR in football. You cant argue that. And you cant argue the fact the Pats just took a huge step back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST