PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wes Welker signs with Denver Broncos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Schefter: Denver in serious talks with Wes

Notice that Schefter says "decision" and not "deal" or "agreement." It's not at all guaranteed right now.

Also, this seems a lot like when Brandon Lloyd visited the 49ers last offseason right before signing with the Pats. If Belichick won't budge to keep Welker off the Broncos, then he's not going to budge. A year ago, I don't think Belichick budged, but it still ended in a deal.

Re: Schefter: Wes possibly going to Denver

Let's not go overboard.

Now that's funny!

The one thing that we can all guarantee is that no matter what, someone will go overboard.

Let's not go overboard. Thomas and Decker had great years last year, but they gotta show that last year wasn't a fluke for either one. Thomas had under 1,000 yards his first two years combined although he had Tebow throwing to him in his second year, but he couldn't stay healthy in either of those years.

As for the Pats, we should wait until we see what the Pats do before we judge if the Pats seriously downgrades the team. If the Pats use Welker's money and significantly improves the defense, this team could be significantly better even if the passing game takes a hit.

And we don't even know if Welker is gone yet.

Demaryius Thomas is a top 10 WR that still hasn't reached his ceiling.
Welker is a top 10 WR.
Decker is one of the best #2 WRs in the league.

Hows that overboard if they sign Wes?

interesting......that's going to be 8M per that the broncos don't get to spend on their defense.....it's not like they need him and he will take catches away from thomas and decker.......

Pretty much where I'm at. I'd have to see what the contingency plan is before deciding whether it was the right call or not.

Exactly. Let's go with a crazy hypothetical. Let's say they let Welker walk and they trade for Larry Fitzgerald and the draft pick compensation isn't crazy. Are the Pats in worse shape? Odds are Plan B, C, D, and E don't realistically include Fitzgerald, but it might include someone who will minimize the loss and might make the team overall much better with money spent elsewhere.

It's just the absolute worst case scenario. The Broncos are the only team I really think is on the same level as the Pats in the AFC. Manning is the only QB I think can use Wes Welker as Brady can.

Maybe they're promising him a moat.

I don't mind if he goes for more money. If it's for the same money, that reflects poorly on the franchise when we're trying to land some FAs ourselves.

I hope it's more money. If so, best of luck to him. Hate to make a post like this is a done deal, but my gut feeling here is he's gone. And I'm kinda okay with that, provided it's more than we wanted him for.

Regarding the Broncos salary cap they had 9.5M before the FA period started and Dumervil is restructuring so I'm sure they can make this work. I hope it's 4/44 with 20 guaranteed or something outrageous so I don't feel too bad.......until of course our defense has to cover him. Our defense over the middle for all the attention paid to the DBs is a major weakness. Wes will have a field day with Manning getting him the ball.

I'm disgusted by the way we've treated this guy. The "cheapness" of this team knows no bounds. spit.

Expected this . This is Adam V deja vu all over again.

"Wes Welker is being pursued by the Broncos" = OMG the Broncos are gonna own us now!1!one! What can we ever do to stop them??/ ***** that cheapskate Kraft for letting Wes walk!!1!!one!

Exactly. Let's go with a crazy hypothetical. Let's say they let Welker walk and they trade for Larry Fitzgerald and the draft pick compensation isn't crazy. Are the Pats in worse shape? Odds are Plan B, C, D, and E don't realistically include Fitzgerald, but it might include someone who will minimize the loss and might make the team overall much better with money spent elsewhere.

I just hope they have a better plan in place than when BB inexplicably axed BMW and Sanders and replaced them with Barrett, Ihedigbo, and Brown. :puke:

And to everyone swallowing up the "the Patriots lowballed Wes, they didn't show him any respect, he's gonna be pissed now" and all that spiel, just remember that were it not for the Patriots taking a chance on him, Welker would probably be Devone Bess right now. Remember when they parted with a 2nd and a 7th rounder to get him and people here were freaking out? Nut sure, Welker, should have absolutely no gratitude towards the Patriots.

IF Welker does go to Denver i can see Manning licking his chops and Brady throwing a fit

IF Welker does go to Denver i can see Manning licking his chops and Brady throwing a fit

Brady's gonna wonder why he signed that lifetime deal.

Demaryius Thomas is a top 10 WR that still hasn't reached his ceiling.
Welker is a top 10 WR.
Decker is one of the best #2 WRs in the league.

Hows that overboard if they sign Wes?

Demayrius Thomas was a top 10 WR last year. Doesn't mean he will be again this year. Brandon Lloyd was a top 5 WR in 2010 and it didn't make him one the following year. Odds are good he is going to be as good or possibly better, but there are no guarantees. Same with Decker.

Also, odds are good that Welker will take throws away from both. So even if they improve, their numbers are likely to drop quite a bit. The addition of Welker isn't going to mean that Manning is going to complete 100 more passes for another 1,200 yards. Decker is likely going to drop to the 700-800 yards range and Thomas will likely drop to the 1100 yard range or less.

Also, Welker is likely to hit the age wall hard and fast when he does because of the way he plays. That is why I am not upset if he leaves for a big deal. The Pats and Broncos are betting it won't happen for at least two years, but it could happen as soon as this year. If he re-signs, I hope he doesn't for two years and if he goes to Denver, I hope it happens tomorrow.

And Manning is going to 36 next year and even though the media refused to admit it, his passes are not nearly as good as they were before his surgeries. There is a chance he hits the age wall too.

Also, the Broncos are facing the NFC East next season. That may make it tougher for them to air it out than last year when they played the NFC South.

Again, let's not go overboard based on one year performance. It could be one of the best receiver trios in a while or things could go a different way. Stating anything at this point as a definite is a little silly.

I'm disgusted by the way we've treated this guy. The "cheapness" of this team knows no bounds. spit.

yeah....they only put so much on a slot receiver......if he's talking 4-5 years, then NE is not his place

I just hope they have a better plan in place than when BB inexplicably axed BMW and Sanders and replaced them with Barrett, Ihedigbo, and Brown. :puke:

Not a fair comparison at all.

If the team is forced to commit to a two TE offense, it already has two blue-chip skill-position players.

This offense will be forced to adapt, but there's still a ton of talent.

Plus, last I checked, Welker hadn't signed anywhere.

I'm just annoyed that they haven't gone after really ANYBODY this free agency period. It's not as much losing Welker as it is not going after anyone else. Brady isn't too happy about this I bet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents