PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wes Welker signs with Denver Broncos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Schefter: Wes possibly going to Denver

Let's not go overboard. Thomas and Decker had great years last year, but they gotta show that last year wasn't a fluke for either one. Thomas had under 1,000 yards his first two years combined although he had Tebow throwing to him in his second year, but he couldn't stay healthy in either of those years.

As for the Pats, we should wait until we see what the Pats do before we judge if the Pats seriously downgrades the team. If the Pats use Welker's money and significantly improves the defense, this team could be significantly better even if the passing game takes a hit.

And we don't even know if Welker is gone yet.

I agree. BB and the front office may be taking a different approach this year. I wouldn't be disappointed if they spent Welker's money improving the defense. We haven't won a super bowl with a high powered offense.

Re: Schefter: Denver in serious talks with Wes

Brady's gonna wonder why he signed that lifetime deal.

Hopefully this would put in end to all the silly talk that Brady has any say in personnel. Football operations are 100% vested in one man, and it ain't No. 12. If the Broncos want to pay Welker more than BB thinks he's worth, then au revoir, Shoshanna

If there was one team Welker's agent would leak as being interested in him to freak out Bellichick, it would be Denver.

It could be true, but this might be Welker's agent playing his best card right now.

I'm disgusted by the way we've treated this guy. The "cheapness" of this team knows no bounds. spit.

Save the emotional reactions for your mom.

The Patriots have maintained an amazing run of dominance when it is supposed to be impossible to do so as we're in the 'age of parity.'

One of the ways they do it is through sane roster management. They set a value on a player and don't get take for a ride. That's how they've been able to compete year in and year out while teams like the Cowboys and Redskins blow their wad for the off-season superbowl rings and then **** the bed in the regular season for seasons as they deal with the ramifications of out of control spending.

They aren't cheap. They're frugal and there's a big difference.

There are a couple of other teams that spring to mind with similar spending habits: The New York Giants and the Pittsburgh Steelers.

There's a reason that the Pats, Giants and Steelers have won 7 of the last 12 Super Bowls...

I'm disgusted by the way we've treated this guy. The "cheapness" of this team knows no bounds. spit.
It happens. Look at what the Broncos are doing with Elvis Dumervil. It seems they're the only team left to pay what Welker wants, yet it would come at the expense of a different player.

Greg A. Bedard ‏@GregABedard
Broncos deal with Patriots WR Wes Welker "very likely," according to a league source.

Personally, I don't get why the Broncos would want him. They produced over 3,000 yards from the WR position last year. It would be the equivalent of the pats picking up another TE. Just seems odd. We will see.

Greg A. Bedard ‏@GregABedard
Broncos deal with Patriots WR Wes Welker "very likely," according to a league source.

Commence PatsFans meltdown in t-minus 5...4...3...

lol this site is ridiculous some (read as most) of the times. They Pats aren't letting Welker go to the Broncos just because they don't want to pay him. They obviously feel like they have other more viable options to improve the offense. Welker was one of my favorite Patriots over the past 5 years but I think its pretty apparent at this point in time that Brady is what makes this offense go, not welker. The Patriots aren't going to just sit on the money that Brady "gave back" have some patience for once.

come on wes, leaving to join peyton?:eek::confused:

Choking WR to go with a choking QB.

I'm sure the Denver fans will love the regular season stats.

Move on, go younger & faster - it's time to unveil another look on offense to catch teams off guard again.

Very pissed at the front office right now. While I know we have one of the most well-run organizations in the league, once in a while Bill and the guys make a knucklehead decision that is unnaceptable. Letting Welker go is UNNACEPTABLE.

I'm shaking my head right now. As I type this, I'm still currently shaking my head.

wanderlei_zps79e59d4a.gif

@GregABedard: Broncos deal with Patriots WR Wes Welker "very likely," according to a league source.

Very pissed at the front office right now. While I know we have one of the most well-run organizations in the league, once in a while Bill and the guys make a knucklehead decision that is unnaceptable. Letting Welker go is UNNACEPTABLE.

I am not sure if you understand what "unacceptable" means...

Again: it's really only unacceptable in absence of a backup plan. Maybe we should see how they plan to move on in lieu of Welker before we break out the pitchforks.

Paying him anything more than $6.5m a year would have been overpaying, he's old and on the decline (drops & fumbles both up last year).

Wait & see how the Patriots evolve do you REALLY expect them to sit still on this or come out with a totally new offense and a stronger defense?

Re: Schefter: Wes possibly going to Denver

If he goes to the Broncos, he's basically dead to me.

Personally, I don't get why the Broncos would want him. They produced over 3,000 yards from the WR position last year. It would be the equivalent of the pats picking up another TE. Just seems odd. We will see.

Yeah, because I can't see why anyone would want someone who puts up over 100 catches every season.

YAHOOOOOO!!!!!! Matthew Slater lining up full time in the slot after Edelman gets his customary season ending paper cut....Krafty Bob, I hope you're enjoying all your salary cap room....there better be a deal for Larry Fitzgerald somewhere in here....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents