PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We're On To the Jets!

Status
Not open for further replies.
this is White's breakout game! :)

I'm not sure how good of a good match up that would be for Patriots legend Darrelle Revis, despite the fact that he is currently the best CB in the league. Doesn't he struggle against small, quick, shifty receivers?

Not that I know of. Not much he really does struggle with honestly. There have been a couple guys to get the best of Revis over the years (think Stevie Johnson was one of 'em), but don't think it's been any consistent type or style of WR.

Could be wrong though. Anyone have other info?

Revis is a great CB. I couldn't care less about clapping for him, because our transaction is done and he saw fit to s*it on the team on the way out.

Problem is, we aren't built to depend on one guy, unless that's gronk and i don't see Revis covering him. We're loaded and I like that new guy
Keshawn Martin, he's fast and decisive.

If Lewis is healthy, we've got a bunch of little smurfs and twin towers. Unless Revis and Cromartie can clone themselves, I like our chances.

Revis is a great CB. I couldn't care less about clapping for him, because our transaction is done and he saw fit to s*it on the team on the way out.

Problem is, we aren't built to depend on one guy, unless that's gronk and i don't see Revis covering him. We're loaded and I like that new guy
Keshawn Martin, he's fast and decisive.

If Lewis is healthy, we've got a bunch of little smurfs and twin towers. Unless Revis and Cromartie can clone themselves, I like our chances.

Right, the Pats have a lot of weapons. Not just Julio Jones or someone Revis can shutdown. Just don't forget that I'm pretty sure when the Jets put together the secondary this off season, it was with the Pats offense in mind. You mention Revis and Cro. What about Skrine, Williams, Gilchrist (playing well), Pryor, Milliner and Mcdougle? Revis and Cro get most headlines, and deservingly so, but that's hardly all there is to the Jets secondary.

Again Gronk is just a pain in the @ss. Gotta live with him getting his and just try to limit him with scheme and some combination of double teams. Or even "1.5 teams"... LB early slowing him releasing, with a safety over top.

Right, the Pats have a lot of weapons. Not just Julio Jones or someone Revis can shutdown. Just don't forget that I'm pretty sure when the Jets put together the secondary this off season, it was with the Pats offense in mind. You mention Revis and Cro. What about Skrine, Williams, Gilchrist (playing well), Pryor, Milliner and Mcdougle? Revis and Cro get most headlines, and deservingly so, but that's hardly all there is to the Jets secondary.

Again Gronk is just a pain in the @ss. Gotta live with him getting his and just try to limit him with scheme and some combination of double teams. Or even "1.5 teams"... LB early slowing him releasing, with a safety over top.

Scott Chandler hasn't been used a lot yet either. I think you guys have a great defense, but we aren't throwing passes to Ben Jarvis Green Ellis either.

Should be a great game. I congratulate the Rats on resisting the urge to hire another blowhard like Rex.

You can't really put together a secondary just for the Pats. They will change it up to the point that it doesn't even look like it did a week before.

To cross over Boston sports lines and paraphrase Johnny Most:

View attachment 10947

"It's gonna be a rockfight out there!!!!"

Thank you for the hearty laugh. He was one of a kind. I waited outside the Ritz for the 1986 teams break up dinner and Most was there and sounded like his real voice was booming through a sound system. Good times.

Bowles hasn't gone to the extreme Rex has with regards to having Revis shadow the #1. Though Rex never had quite the stable of CBs Bowles has to work with now either. Sure Revis and Cro played under Rex, but Skrine makes a big difference. You don't usually want to see Cro in the slot, but with Skrine, that's his ideal position given his skillset. You'll still see Revis moving around pre-snap shadowing someone, as Bowles has mentioned he will do, just not nearly as much as in the past.

This could be me wearing Green goggles, but until proven otherwise, I don't have much of a worry about the Pats (or any team's running game) vs our front. Yes the front 3 or 4 can get pressure on the QB, but their main strength is eating RBs for lunch. Up the middle in particular. It's really fun to watch.

The issue with that is they haven't really played any teams with as sophisticated a wham package as we have. With the largess of TE's at our disposal to wham block, we can account for more D-linemen than you can put on the field at any given time.

I have no clue how the Jets will line up when the Pats go big. I haven't seen many Pats games, but seems like whenever they get inside the 10, they go to like 4 TEs. Not gonna lie, that's a bit worrisome. Curious to see what Bowles has for that.

It'll be interesting to see how Bowles deals with the 04 package inside the RZ. A good headache for sure.

Really pisses me off too cause it's screws over Edelman for TDs and he's one of my fantasy WRs. Also have Marshall though, and expect him to make up for any limitation on Edelman's stats this week. :)

Don't be so sure- they are going to motion Edelman into stacks or run him out underneath from trips to clean him, and of course there's going to be the occasional pick... or two. ;)

Marshall, on the other hand, is a 50/50 receiver.. he's not going to run clean or smart routes, he just likes to go up and fight for the ball which is what Fitzpatrick gives him every time, unintentionally, of course. In fact, I do not expect Butler to cover him- I think Butler will cover Decker and Marshall gets the good old revolving bracket coverage that's going to wear down on him as we'll be throwing fresh bodies at him.

Right. Should be great game. Hard hitting and a chess match.

The only way I'd be comfortable if we're down at halftime is if there's been a lot of Ivory and the Oline beating on the D. Even if it's not very successful in the first half, that usually tends to wear down the opposing front and really open things late in the 3rd.

We'll see what happens. If Ivory has success getting to the 2nd level, we are in big trouble as our backer corp is depleted and not at 100%.

My money says Deion has a big day.

Dobson is activated and we go 5 wide.
Brady throws 7 tds
That would shut everyone up

I think Crazy Josh will throw at Revis constantly to beat him up and wear him out by the 4th quarter. He's old, he's got a tricky knee, and he's tired from carrying all that money around.
RevisUSAToday.jpg

I think Crazy Josh will throw at Revis constantly to beat him up and wear him out by the 4th quarter. He's old, he's got a tricky knee, and he's tired from carrying all that money around.

I actually like the strategy of running at the corners to wear them out.

Yeah, and I'm hoping the Pats scheme runs so that Revis is the unblocked guy facing Blount.

My money says Deion has a big day.

That would be nice. Right now, I'm concerned that he's got a nagging pull that's going to make him Q all season, and would rather he gets healthy.

I have watched at least part of all five Jets games and I'm not as enamoured with the vaunted Jets defense as most people. The DL is excellent, like Buffalo's, the corners are good, but the linebackers and safeties are pretty average. That means there should be opportunities for the Gronk, Chandler and Lewis coming out of the backfield. They beat the Colts when the Colt offense was reeling and they played four other mediocre teams with questionable offenses. They've excelled at the big play and pass rush and those are the biggest reasons they are 4-1. Bowles runs some tricky spy schemes and the corners and safeties like to jump routes. I expect even more of that this week.

Carve out their game against the Pats and the Bills have a top five defense too. Their coaching staff knows the Pats offense inside out. They gave up 520 yards and 40 points to this Patriot offense, including a lot of yards to Gronk and Lewis.

This will be a good game, but don't buy into the Jets hype too much.

The other set I would like to see is stacked three receivers on Revis' side to get him caught up in the wash as they come out of their routes. We've seen Amendola becoming more effective in that formation, and with Dobson and LaFell seemingly available, it puts some size out there to deal with Revis and Cromartie.

The Patriots shouldn't fear Revis at all, they should attack him. They did that effectively against Detroit last year with Suh, and will probably do so again on Thursday. You neutralize a strength on defense by attacking it, not by acquiescing to it.

The other set I would like to see is stacked three receivers on Revis' side to get him caught up in the wash as they come out of their routes. We've seen Amendola becoming more effective in that formation, and with Dobson and LaFell seemingly available, it puts some size out there to deal with Revis and Cromartie.

The Patriots shouldn't fear Revis at all, they should attack him. They did that effectively against Detroit last year with Suh, and will probably do so again on Thursday. You neutralize a strength on defense by attacking it, not by acquiescing to it.

Anything that keeps Mevis from getting away with that very effective stiff arm to the shoulder of the receiver that he uses, is okie dokie with this Pats fan.

Was this discussed already? Who is playing where on the O-line? Is Sea Bass moving to LT? Is Wendell back and starting at RG or LG? Where does Kline fit into this? Kline has been playing well. Is Cannon good to go and is Fleming going to start? I thank the UFA gods for Andrews. I can't ever remember so many moving parts and questions on the O-line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes