PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We're on to the Giants

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 2015 Giants must be one of the few teams in history to put up 49 points in a game and still LOSE (Giants vs. Saints).
Doing some research, the Raiders beat the Oilers in 1963, 52-49. A few have scored 48 and lost, too.

The 2015 Giants must be one of the few teams in history to put up 49 points in a game and still LOSE (Giants vs. Saints).

Ah yes, the game where the 31st and 32nd ranked defenses played each other.

They have no shot at putting even half of that up this week.

Last edited:
Interesting how fast people are to talk down this Giants team.

Here is how I see them. They are 5-4 and that doesn't happen by accident. They don't suck. They are at least decent. They have the 5th ranked offense in PPG and 19th ranked defense in PPG. Clearly looking at those 2 things this is not a push over. Their offense is good and their defense besides one really really really bad game has been generally okay. Besides that 52 point game they have not surrendered 30 points this year. They are more of a bend don't break D. They don't mind giving up yards.

Overall I think they are a slightly above average team. When you play that kind of team in their house it can be tough. I expect to win this game but people thinking this will be a blow out are mistaken IMO.

The offense of the Pats is not what is was in the first quarter of the year so we won't be able to pull away as much as some think.

I am thinking something like 31-20. Another 2 score win but not a 3 or 4 score win.

Last edited:

Here is how I see them. They are 5-4 and that doesn't happen by accident. They don't suck. They are at least decent. They have the 5th ranked offense in PPG and 19th ranked defense in PPG. Clearly looking at those 2 things this is not a push over. Their offense is good and their defense besides one really really really bad game has been generally okay. Besides that 52 point game they have not surrendered 30 points this year. They are more of a bend don't break D. They don't mind giving up yards.

Overall I think they are an a slightly above average team. When you play that kind of team in their house it can be tough. I expect to win this game but people thinking this will be a blow out are mistaken IMO.

The offense of the Pats is not what is was in the first quarter of the year so we won't be able to pull away as much as some think.

I am thinking something like 31-20. Another 2 score win but not a 3 or 4 score win.

They definitely have to play better on offense then they did against the skins. Have to finish drives

Besides that 52 point game they have not surrendered 30 points this year.

Gave up 27 or more points 4 times though, one of those was to the Kaepernick QB'd 49ers.

The Giants' D can be had, but they have a couple really decent receivers. Still, I like our D right now...a lot.

Not that I've been the Grand Poobah of Alamo's pick 'em game this year, but I'm thinking Pats 31-21 is realistic.

Just keep JPP away from Brady and this won't be close.

Overall I think they are an a slightly above average team. When you play that kind of team in their house it can be tough. I expect to win this game but people thinking this will be a blow out are mistaken IMO.

They have yet to beat a team with a winning record.

That is the stat you should be looking at - -not their rankings against crap teams.

They are a mediocre team that has already played 4 of those 9 games against their mediocre division.

Hence, 5-4.

I agree with Rodney:

Mike Petraglia @Trags
"If the Patriots lose to this team [Giants], it's some type of mental block. Patriots should beat this team by 2 touchdowns." Rodney

Your referee Sunday for Patriots-Giants: the one and only Ed Hochuli

Your referee Sunday for Patriots-Giants: the one and only Ed Hochuli

yeah, just saw that too..... not sure how I feel about it.

Looking at the Giants board and most of their fans feel that Tom is gonna destroy them.

Here are some quotes on them predicting Brady's statline.

8 touchdowns for 500 yards. 34/36 completed passes.

6 TDs, 530 yards

....Second half

4 touchdowns, 300 yards. 20/21 completed passes.

would bet my life a Patriot is gonna get AFC Offensive Player of the Week. My life.

20 of 29
310 yards
3 TD's
1 pick

We lose 27 -16

How about waiting for injury/practice reports before assuming what the OL will be

That mobile qb he looked good against is also a rookie who doesnt get it out as quicky as Brady does.

Ayers is outstanding? Guy has 1 sack

Blounts been more of a factor in the run game than Lewis this year.

Giants just lost their best DT

Beckham is Butler's biggest test? Debatable. He went against Antonio Brown week 1.

Good points. The only ones I'm going to respond to are the Odell Beckham, Jr. - Malcolm Butler matchup and the Patriots running ones.

You are absolutely correct about Antonio Brown in week one. Brown may be the best there is and is having a monster season. He definitely torched the Pats with 9 catches, 133 yds, 1 TD. Beckham is a different sort of problem for Butler. Beckham and Edelman have almost identical statistics this season, and both are their QB's safety valve. Butler is going to have to never let up in coverage.

The running game took a major hit with Lewis going down given the tackle situation unless James White can step up and fill that role. Blount has been completely invisible in some games since his job is principally a power running game while Lewis has been doing the Shane Vereen role - quick hitters on the ground and screens or bunch formations as a receiver. With guys like Fleming and Stork at the tackles, the Giants are going to load up on the edge and test the Patriots. It's easier to close on Blount from the edge without having to worry about a guy like Lewis.

You know who they miss right now? Develin. He's a good receiver, an outstanding blocker and can take a few carries to drive at defenders where there is a mismatch.

Chat with Tedy Bruschi bruschi's take

Matt (Sammamish, WA)

Tedy, although the Giants have had our number over the years, the Pats should be able to come away with a W on this one. Do you agree? Also, the Broncos look more beatable every week...how will the Pats game plan the Broncos? I'm more afraid of dropping one to the Eagles or the Bills than I am the teams mentioned above. Are my fears justified? Thanks.

Tedy
(3:17 PM)

Matt, the Patriots can be beat this week. There are only a couple games every year that I feel are definite locks for the Patriots. Brady will throw more INTs this year. The defense will give up long drives. These games are inevitable. The '07 team was not Indestructible. In Indianapolis, we had to come back from a 10-point deficit and we did have some good fortune to beat the Ravens in Baltimore. Then beating the Giants to go 16-0 was the toughest test of the year.

Here are the negatives about this game:

1. It is on the road. No road game in the NFL is easy in this league. The noise really is a factor and limits what the QB can accomplish on the LOS. Just ask the Broncos or the Packers

2. Eli is a good QB who has cut down on his picks and has put up some impressive numbers

3 Beckham is a dynamic receiver who is clearly the man to stop this week. But it won't be easy, because Randle, Donnell and Vereen also provide issues of their own.

4. We have no idea who will be playing where on the OL. Perhaps we will have a better idea by the weekend,. About the only think we know for certain is that Kline will be buying dinner this week. ;) I think we will be OK on the OL, but it is likely to take a couple of weeks to get it all sorted out. So pass protection could be an issue.

5. The Giants are tied for the league lead in interceptions with 13.

Here are some of the positives.

1. This is a NY'/NJ crowd, so if the Pats can get control of the game early the stadium will be half empty midway through the 3rd quarter and noise won't be an issue.

2. The Giants are ranked almost as low as we are in rushing (96 ypg) That bodes well for he 3rd ranked rushing D. (85 ypg). We will be in good shape if we can limit them to 70-90 ypg Sunday.

3. Beckham will be the target as he is every week and still has managed to put up decent numbers. So it is not a matter of stopping him, its a matter of controlling him and limiting big plays. The Pats have been traditionally very good at this.

4. The Pats OL might not be at its best, but the Giants are dead last in sacks so far. JPP is now back, but I doubt he'll be at his best yet. 2 Sacks a game is about what we are averaging. If we just hold serve, our offense should be OK. The Giant's run D is averaging 124/game, I we can just rush that much, we'd create enough balance to open up the passing attack

5.They may have 13 picks, but they are also average allowing 308 ypg, and the only time they faced an elite QB they gave up over 500 yards

Bottom Line - On one hand I can't see the Pats scoring less than 30 points. On the other hand I can't see the Giants getting to 30 So in the end, the Giants should be respected, but not feared. This most likely will end up with the Pats at 9-0,. The Bills have a better shot at upsetting the Pats than the Giants IMHO.

BTW- I am just SO sick and tired of hearing this crap about how the Giants have the Pats number. We are talking about 2 games from 8 and 4 seasons ago. They are completely irrelevant in a football sense, and are basically just made up crap from the mediots.

Last edited:
The fact that the Patriots have the potential making of a legitimately elite defense this season has me looking optimistically at every game this season.

well stated Aus. I'd also add in that the patriots have extra receivers that can win their one one battles.

For last few games, I paid more attention to the D than the O . Our front 7 are coming together this year. Our secondary is playing well. They are much better than what I thought as season started. If they allow 30+ points to the Giants, I would be disappointed.

not sure why everyone is making a big deal of JPP. He has not been the same without Tuck on that d-line. All you have to do is double team him and he'll disappear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore