PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We're on to San Diego

Status
Not open for further replies.
The good thing is that the Chargers are pretty terrible across the board. And it won't look any better with this week's numbers added in.

I hardly think they are "terrible across the board". That's a team who will be at home with only one less win than the Pats.

Let's give some respect where it's due.

I hardly think they are "terrible across the board". That's a team who will be at home with only one less win than the Pats.

Let's give some respect where it's due.

Defensively, which is what we were discussing, they are. Though, if you want to be pedantic, they are terrible defending the pass and mediocre defending the run.

Rivers has had an exceptional year particularly when you look at their offensive line. That said, we won't be seeing the same type of pass rush that we just witnessed against Green Bay (contain). Rivers relies on timing more than anyone and although Allen is their number 1 receiver, the ball is distributed all around.
I would say that his security blanket is still Gates but I would expect them to take a page out of GB's scheme and look to the receivers covered by Ryan and Dennard.

The good thing is that the Chargers are pretty terrible across the board. And it won't look any better with this week's numbers added in.
Chargers usually are unpredictable. They will lose to the chiefs at home and barely beat oakland but go on the road and beat baltimore.
Their season is on the line and McCoy is very good coach ,more like a gameplan coach. This one is not going to be easy. Does not matter if pats are ticked off are not. At least that is my opinion.

Rivers has had an exceptional year particularly when you look at their offensive line. That said, we won't be seeing the same type of pass rush that we just witnessed against Green Bay (contain). Rivers relies on timing more than anyone and although Allen is their number 1 receiver, the ball is distributed all around.
I would say that his security blanket is still Gates but I would expect them to take a page out of GB's scheme and look to the receivers covered by Ryan and Dennard.
ITs easier said than done to target your 3rd and 4th option for 60 mins. GB did it and thats why BB was so gracious-he told them to beat us that way and they did. Not too many teams can do that for a full game.

May the game plan put the OL in better position to succeed by, first, integrating the run consistently as an essential element so that opponents have to account for it and cannot simply tee off. Nobody is afraid of Shane Vereen, but they could be afraid of Blount (or Gray) if they are utilized more effectively. Secondly, cut back on the long passes to guys who cannot beat defenders down the field and cannot catch it when they get there. No disrespect to LaFell, Edelman, or Gronk--it just isn't their bag man. Either accept that you do not have the weapons to exploit the deep part of the field or develop one (not to go all Aaron Dobson or anything, but Tyms is the only guy on the roster that has demonstrated the ability to outrun coverage and take away a 50:50 ball). Finally, a little more diversity with the receivers a la Aaron Rodgers (Tim Wright managed to catch 54 balls in Tampa) might help Tom throw to guys who are open against lesser talented defenders.

Chargers usually are unpredictable. They will lose to the chiefs at home and barely beat oakland but go on the road and beat baltimore.
Their season is on the line and McCoy is very good coach ,more like a gameplan coach. This one is not going to be easy. Does not matter if pats are ticked off are not. At least that is my opinion.

But even in victory, they were terrible on defense yesterday.

Anything can happen, of course, but I'll be shocked if NE doesn't slap at least 30 points on the board on Sunday.

I think on Offense we should definitely be able to move the ball. They have 1 good cornerback in Flowers and I think they can be run on as well. On defense, I think Gates is going to be a big issue. Who covers him? We have trouble covering tight ends to begin with and he is one of the best. I wonder if we put Browner on him, but if we do, they have two good receivers and our 3rd corner had problems yesterday.
I still expect us to win, but I think it might be a high scoring game. Hopefully, we can get a few turnovers, Green Bay just doesn't turn the ball over!!!

ITs easier said than done to target your 3rd and 4th option for 60 mins. GB did it and thats why BB was so gracious-he told them to beat us that way and they did. Not too many teams can do that for a full game.

Exactly. I don't think SD will have the success GB did but given that they do spread the ball around, it seems logical that SD would do the same. Also, I think Ryan and Dennard are pretty good corners and if the Pats pass rush plays with power and not contain, I think the D will be just fine.

From your lips to God's ears!

Exactly. I don't think SD will have the success GB did but given that they do spread the ball around, it seems logical that SD would do the same. Also, I think Ryan and Dennard are pretty good corners and if the Pats pass rush plays with power and not contain, I think the D will be just fine.

Looking ahead, when and if Chandler comes back and is part of the regular rotation, it would be nice to see a 3rd down pass rush of Nink, Easley, Jones and Ayers. So while I don't necessarily prescribe to the silver lining theory, Chandler's injury has brought us Ayers as not only his replacement but an additional pass rush weapon.

Revis on Keenan Allen, Browner on Floyd (6'5) ?

Revis on Keenan Allen, Browner on Floyd (6'5) ?

maybe a mix. We won't see Browner play inside unless he's on Gates. I like Arrington on Royal.

But even in victory, they were terrible on defense yesterday.

Anything can happen, of course, but I'll be shocked if NE doesn't slap at least 30 points on the board on Sunday.
I hope so but back to back road games that to living and training on the west coast etc are also factors. If only the bills could....never mind...

Who covers Gates?

Yea I changed my mind. Perhaps Browner is better on Gates with a LB or safety (Chung)

I was thinking Floyd and Royal are much better receivers than a rookie Devante Adams, who just burned our CBs not named Revis or Browner.

I'd like to see Dennard, Arrington and Butler get more playing time over Logan Ryan. He looked good last year but he's been absolutely terrible this year. The GB game could've been different with Dennard (even Arrington) on him to start.

I'd like to see Dennard, Arrington and Butler get more playing time over Logan Ryan. He looked good last year but he's been absolutely terrible this year. The GB game could've been different with Dennard (even Arrington) on him to start.

I suggest moving forward that NE has enough CBs to give their sophomore DBs the year off. Just give 'em a red-shirt season and see where they stand in year three.

Gates isn't a world beater anymore..i think collins can stay with him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back