PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Welker is the talk of the town

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welker for anything less than a high second would force me to do things that would land me in jail.

But I'm uncertain if there's even any truth to this or is this nothing more than speculative talk by the national media.

Nobody in the media is running with this. Nobody.

Welker for the 59th overall pick and Atlanta's 6th. How would you feel?

Mob.jpg

Last edited:
But let's assume Bill takes Julio Jones at #17 (or slight trade up). Does that make it any better?

But let's assume Bill takes Julio Jones at #17 (or slight trade up). Does that make it any better?

Not in the least.

Are you saying some team was actively pursuing Watson two years ago? How do you know this?

Teams aren't allowed to comment publicly on other team's players, so it's difficult to ever know for sure. But given that he did trade away a TE in 2009, it's not at all inconceivable that teams were inquiring about Watson as well.

Seems to me that every situation is unique, in terms of the standing of individual players, in terms of the state of the team at a given time, and in terms of what potential replacement players are available in the market at that time. So, it's really difficult for me to speculate based on what the Pats did or didn't do wrt Watson or any other player when they entered their contract year. Maybe they simply kept Watson because, at the time, the alternatives weren't very good (it's not as if the Pats hadn't been actively trying for awhile).

I can see how a rumor regarding Welker might get started from the ATL fan side. Seemed pretty clear to me that Matt Ryan could have used a couple more good passing targets this season. Their only viable slot guy is Brian Finneran and he's about 112 years old now. So, there's probably a significant "wishful thinking" component here on the part of Falcon fans. Then there's the Dimitroff connection which seems to lend an air of realism to all this, whether or not it does in actual fact.

WRT whether or not the Pats would consider trading Welker and/or acquiring another receiver, I start by breaking down what the Pats offense has for targets on the current roster and what areas they regularly work successfully (more or less).

short/intermediate-range passes, mostly between the numbers:
Welker, Edelman, Hernandez, Gronkowski, Woodhead, (Faulk)

sideline passes:
Branch, Tate

deep zone passes:
Tate

Price is a complete unknown. He might end up being a sideline/deep zone guy, but there's really no way to know for certain.

Seems to me that the Pats could afford to swap out a guy from that first group (lotta redundancy there) for another guy who can regularly work the sidelines and deep zones (could be either draft or FA). Welker is certainly the oldest of that group, but also the most reliable. Edelman maybe has more upside and is certainly the better PR, but also seems to get injured often. In any case, spreading the attack out across more of the field would seem like a good thing at this point (regardless of the anomalous "Moss situation").

Not sure how the trade economics would work out. I can't imagine that the Pats would accept less than a 2nd for Welker. Maybe that works for ATL - getting a proven commodity for a 2nd that they might otherwise spend on a WR in the draft (out of a fairly weak WR class).

It really comes down to how BB and the coaches feel about Price and Edelman (and Tate), and/or how they feel about a WR they might pick up in the draft/FA this year or next.

Nothing can happen anyway until a new CBA is signed, right?

It does in my book.

If we get Jones at #17, I am willing to trade Welker to Atlanta for a third round pick. Dimitroff would be stupid to trade us a second rounder.

However because BB has such a terrible record of drafting in the non-comp third round, BB would need to flip it to some other team for a second in 2012.

Julio Jones is my favorite wr in this draft so yeah..it probably would make it alright if we did it for 59.

I love Welker, but it would not suprise me if he was on the block.

I have a feeling that if we trade Welker it may be for a 2012 pick.
We have a ton of picks this year and Belichick loves to stock pile
picks for the future.

I could see Belichick take a 2nd round pick in 2012, from a team he feels
may struggle in 2011.

Who know's maybe it will turn into a top 40 pick in 2012.

It seems like most teams look for the quick fix and do not look to the
future as much as the Patriots.

I am sure Belichick would take a 2nd round pick in 2011 over a 3rd
round pick in 2011.

I would be in total shock if Welker was traded.

This guy epitomizes the kind of heart that Troy Brown used to show.

He was limited this year, however. Maybe that works into all the rumblings. I expect him to be back to his old self next year.

We do know that Price was the fastest guy at the 2010 combine and has decent size. It's pretty obvious that that BB has him in line to replace Moss. Unfortunately, we had to trade Randy this year. We certainly could have used him last weeek.

Also, don't forget that BB almost traded Butler for Pierre Thomas. Thomas unfortunately was injured. He would have been VERY,VERY handy last week.

Therefore, if this trade does happen, it's either a stockpile move and BB feels comfortable with Price/Tate and the other guys do the "slot" thing or he is planning something block buster.

Anyone look at the Cardinals sites? It would be interesting to see what Fitz would be. We are the only team that has what AZ needs, many picks and players. Also, who would be the big time receiver except VJax that could be had?

We do know that Price was the fastest guy at the 2010 combine and has decent size. It's pretty obvious that that BB has him in line to replace Moss. Unfortunately, we had to trade Randy this year. We certainly could have used him last weeek.

Also, don't forget that BB almost traded Butler for Pierre Thomas. Thomas unfortunately was injured. He would have been VERY,VERY handy last week.

Therefore, if this trade does happen, it's either a stockpile move and BB feels comfortable with Price/Tate and the other guys do the "slot" thing or he is planning something block buster.

Anyone look at the Cardinals sites? It would be interesting to see what Fitz would be. We are the only team that has what AZ needs, many picks and players. Also, who would be the big time receiver except VJax that could be had?

As I posted in another thread, I'm certain that BB/the Pats did NOT initiate the "talks" to trade Butler for Thomas - Payton did. IOW, the Pats weren't "reaching out" to acquire Thomas.

I also don't think Thomas would help the Pats ground game nearly as much as most folks seem to think. Even when healthy he's NOT "a beast" or even an every down back in the Pats system, and he wouldn't immediately become the feature back over BGE, IMHO. Thomas may provide some variety since his receiving skills are superior to BGE's, but he still requires extra blocking from a FB or TE to get to the LB level most of the time. In that regard, I don't think he'd have helped enough against the scheme the Jets were running.

As I posted in another thread, I'm certain that BB/the Pats did NOT initiate the "talks" to trade Butler for Thomas - Payton did. IOW, the Pats weren't "reaching out" to acquire Thomas.

I also don't think Thomas would help the Pats ground game nearly as much as most folks seem to think. Even when healthy he's NOT "a beast" or even an every down back in the Pats system, and he wouldn't immediately become the feature back over BGE, IMHO. Thomas may provide some variety since his receiving skills are superior to BGE's, but he still requires extra blocking from a FB or TE to get to the LB level most of the time. In that regard, I don't think he'd have helped enough against the scheme the Jets were running.

Maine

It's the offseason, and these are concepts not specifics. Would BB ever seriouslt negiotate a trade if the acquired player did not satisy a perceived need?

Maybe they did inquire about other guys. We don't know. What we do know is in season traded are limite to players WHO ARE AVAILABLE for trade.

The point is:

BB recognized the need for another guy at RB. Likewise, with Price he realizes the need for a guy who will streatch the field. Unfortunately, Ryan figured that out also and last Sunday happened.

Where people are getting lost is that the reality is static. It's not. A rebuilding team will have weaknesses, it's inevitabl;e because they wouldn't be rebuilding.

Maine

It's the offseason, and these are concepts not specifics. Would BB ever seriouslt negiotate a trade if the acquired player did not satisy a perceived need?

Maybe they did inquire about other guys. We don't know. What we do know is in season traded are limite to players WHO ARE AVAILABLE for trade.

The point is:

BB recognized the need for another guy at RB. Likewise, with Price he realizes the need for a guy who will streatch the field. Unfortunately, Ryan figured that out also and last Sunday happened.

Where people are getting lost is that the reality is static. It's not. A rebuilding team will have weaknesses, it's inevitabl;e because they wouldn't be rebuilding.

If we're still talking about the NO-NE "negotiations" over Thomas prior to the trade deadline, I'm sure the media used the term to over-describe a situation in which Payton approached with an offer that the Pats, by way of due diligence, listened to. The Pats counter offer included asking for a 3rd rounder in addition to Thomas. To me, "negotiations" don't get much LESS serious than that.

I'm sure that BB recognizes the need for another RB. A mis-reported media story about a supposed in-season trade for Thomas simply doesn't guarantee that BB had, or has, a high level of interest in this particular guy. OTOH, if the guy becomes an unrestricted free agent and will sign an RBBC-appropriate contract, we may yet be welcoming him aboard.

And I completely agree that the reality of the team isn't static and that a lot of people do lose perspective on that. The direction changes to reflect current conditions of player availability, long term needs and a slew of other factors.

Welker for the 59th overall pick and Atlanta's 6th. How would you feel?

Like someone stuck an icepick in my eye. This so far beyond stupid it isn't worth discussing. It is nothing short of amazing how frigging dumb some fans can be. Welker isn't going anywhere, period.

Maine

The point is:

14-2 isn't "rebuilding" it is contending, and getting rid of the best players on that team is beyond idiotic.

14-2 isn't "rebuilding" it is contending, and getting rid of the best players on that team is beyond idiotic.

Ofcourse, we are rebuilding. We are also contending. 6 draft choices in April tell us that. If we trade away a significant amount then "rebuilding" of personnel is complete.

We will see in April.

An inherent part of rebuilding is getting experience. However, BB might also feel the need for some changes. I wouldn't be shocked if we make no changes or if we have changes.

However, if you go get quality you have to surrender quality.

Ofcourse, we are rebuilding. We are also contending. 6 draft choices in April tell us that. If we trade away a significant amount then "rebuilding" of personnel is complete.

We will see in April.

An inherent part of rebuilding is getting experience. However, BB might also feel the need for some changes. I wouldn't be shocked if we make no changes or if we have changes.

However, if you go get quality you have to surrender quality.

Surrendering one of the best players in football and weakening their receiving corps for another draft pick is flat out stupid. The Patriots already have plenty of picks and getting rid of Welker to add another is so dumb it is beyond comprehension. Seriously, there are times when fans put out ideas that are so ridiculous they should simply be deleted, this is one of those times.

Hey guys, know what would be really cool, trade Brady for Carson Palmer and the Bengals 2nd and then trade up for Julio Jones and send Welker to Miami for their fourth rounder and Patrick Cobb. That would be awesome. Brady was only a 6th and Palmer a 1st, that would be a steal. Then they could sign Lienart, he was a first too, that would be even awesomer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes