PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL GAME DAY DISCUSSION Week 13: Other Games

He had Kelce and Hill for the majority of his career. Top 3 TE and top 10 WR of all time. He still has one. Why is there an implication he's entitled to top end talent at all times? He took a massive contract and Hill was traded to help improve their OL and defense. He's not entitled to All Pros at every position. Brady made it work for numerous years in his career with the same tier of players as Toney, Watson, Moore, Rice, MVS. The difference is Mahomes can't elevate guys like Brady could.
He can't do it by himself. Just like Mac Jones. Very similar situation. If only he had better talent around him....

He had Kelce and Hill for the majority of his career. Top 3 TE and top 10 WR of all time. He still has one. Why is there an implication he's entitled to top end talent at all times? He took a massive contract and Hill was traded to help improve their OL and defense. He's not entitled to All Pros at every position. Brady made it work for numerous years in his career with the same tier of players as Toney, Watson, Moore, Rice, MVS. The difference is Mahomes can't elevate guys like Brady could.
The media thinks he is entitled to all of that.

The comment on the broadcast that Mahomes losing to the Lions in week 1 needs an asterisk because Kelce didn't play was embarrassing.

Best Cinderella team this year right now - the Jaguars.
They can move into 1st place in the AFC tonight with a win over Cincy. (Conf. record)
Wow.
They’d be tied with Miami. Wild.

Sure, but now you have a still relatively-inexperienced QB back in the pocket certainly trying hard to protect the ball, and also with the realization that an incomplete pass gives the Chiefs 40 more seconds to work the field. The Chiefs have a really great D coordinator, a fantastic defense this year, and one of the best interior pass rushers in the game - and no matter how much you hate them, no one can deny that they come up big when it matters.

So, with no one open, or open enough to take the chance, Love gets sacked. It was that or throw it away and give KC those 40 seconds.

Now a middle-range kick becomes a 48-yard FG at Lambeau at night in December, and if he misses, KC starts out at the 38.
You took an almost guaranteed 8-point lead with under 1:20 left, kicking off to an opponent with no time-outs and turned it into either the same situation (since he hit the kick), a 5-point lead with your opponent starting in good field position at their 38, or an 8-point lead kicking off to KC with almost 2 minutes left.

Look at the end of that game - KC had to throw sidelines twice (or throw it away) because they had no time to go anywhere else. Put 40 seconds back on that clock if Love had thrown an incomplete pass on 3rd down, and Mahomes can work the whole field from inside your 40 for three or four extra plays.

Being aggressive is one thing. Playing stupid clock management is something else. That was a stupid call.
Up 5, 3rd and 6 on Chiefs 20 with 2:00 and you’re running it to kill clock?

That’s stupid.

6 yards wins the game. Chiefs had no TOs remaining.

“Inexperienced” Love had almost 300 yards and 3 passing TDs and no turnovers against that defense last night.

That’s stupid.

“Inexperienced” Love had almost 300 yards and 3 passing TDs and no turnovers against that defense last night.
The only thing Love could not do there was take the sack. I hated the actual play call. Why not throw a WR screen there which they had been having success with all game? Or a jet sweep? Why have him drop back 7 yards only to get sacked on the 30? Just awful.

Missed the game but watching that play this morning: Mahomes was running like "Well no one on defense will dare touch me so I'm juts gonna scoot up the sidelines for an exra ten yar ...BAM"
I remember Cordell Stewart doing that to New England, and the moment the defenders let up so as to not hit him, he darted free down the sideline.

If a QB crosses the line of scrimmage, he should be treated just like a running back.

That’s stupid.

i get what you’re arguing, but i think you’re dead wrong.

In that situation, KC will dial up the D, and in that situation, Love has to be very careful with the ball.

If he throws it, you’ve got a substantial chance it’s incomplete, particularly given that Watson was gone. And by substantial, I mean probably above 40%.

An incomplete pass gives KC several extra plays.

Yes, six yards wins the game. But more things can go wrong than right in that situation. Up 8, KC needing 70 yards, then a 2-pt conversion to tie with 80 seconds and no time-outs?

I’ll take that over risking them having 40 extra seconds, or a sack as we saw.

Throwing a pass in the first quarter with most of the field before you is different than a clutch play, dialed up D with only 20 yards of field and needing 6 yards.

If this was the Tyreek Hill Chiefs, I might agree, but this isn’t that team anymore.

The only thing Love could not do there was take the sack. I hated the actual play call. Why not throw a WR screen there which they had been having success with all game? Or a jet sweep? Why have him drop back 7 yards only to get sacked on the 30? Just awful.
Agree. Going for the 1st down was the right call but the actual formation and strategy wasn’t ideal.

Still, taking a sack there isn’t the end of the world. Going from a 37 yd field goal to a 47 yd field goal isn’t great but the clock still runs. If it were 10 yards back I would take an incompletion over a sack.

Agree. Going for the 1st down was the right call but the actual formation and strategy wasn’t ideal.

Still, taking a sack there isn’t the end of the world. Going from a 37 yd field goal to a 47 yd field goal isn’t great but the clock still runs. If it were 10 yards back I would take an incompletion over a sack.
Yeah. Just give him a nice, safe throw. They only needed 6 yards. If it's not there then he can just run forward to the line of scrimmage and slide down to keep the clock moving.

Well well well…how the turn tables…
-Michael Scott

1701718201385.png

I remember Cordell Stewart doing that to New England, and the moment the defenders let up so as to not hit him, he darted free down the sideline.

If a QB crosses the line of scrimmage, he should be treated just like a running back.
Yup. Todd Collins pulled up to avoid the penalty, in a tight playoff game. I think Stewart then got more additional yards than any penalty would have cost.

Caserio hitting on both Tank Dell and Nico Collins is another kick in the nuts to Pats fans.

It was a gamble to pick someone at that weight, and very sadly, the luck ran out this year... BMI was pretty much the same as Marvin Harrison the elder, so it's not like he's super skinny like TT11 or Devonta Smith (I don't know how he stays healthy).

Has any team in NFL history ever had an easy/favorable and well laid out schedule as the Doofins?! (Well maybe 72’ team). It seems like everything is laid out perfectly to give them inside track to 1 seed….by the way watched the lowlights of their game against Washington yesterday…..Commanders have officially given up playing….no tackling whatsoever and Hill (who is phenomenal and saved Tua’s career single handedly) had 20 yard cushion between him and defender on the 5 passes he caught for 157 yards and 2 TDs…..Hopefully they come back to earth against the better AFC teams and I don’t see anyone stopping SF right now!

Best Cinderella team this year right now - the Jaguars.
They can move into 1st place in the AFC tonight with a win over Cincy. (Conf. record)
Wow.

Damn shame they didn't beat the Queefs earlier in the season at Jacksonville.

Yup. Todd Collins pulled up to avoid the penalty, in a tight playoff game. I think Stewart then got more additional yards than any penalty would have cost
Todd Collins wow…I hadn’t thought about him in the 2000s. Right up there with Dwayne Sabb! :rofl:

Dink and Dunk with Ja'Marr... 5rec 11yds 4min left in the 1st. I don't blame them, I guess.

someone needs to send a clip of that ridley toe tap to Bouette

Last edited:

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Back