PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We should get to know more about...BRANDON TATE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting away from the numbers along with you, I totally agree on Tate's all-around athleticism. I was just disagreeing with the Welker comparisons, which I don't get.

The big question mark on Tate, even pre-injury, wasn't physical -- it was his polish as a receiver, especially his route running. It's striking how most of the highlight tape is punt/kick returns and end arounds.

Oh, I didn't mean to disagree. :)

Of current players, Tate reminds me of Mr. 85, though as you point out, his routes need more work. I imagine Brady and Moss can help him in that regard. Here's hoping he catches on and becomes our #3 WR.

Re: We should get to know more about.....BRANDON TATE

Um, where did you get those stats from? Pretty sure he didn't even have 1000 yards in his entire career.

Those are his Sr yr high school stats. As a WR at NC he finished w/927 yds, 46 catches -- he did miss his final 7 games as a Sr though. Also finished w/ an amazing 4,744 all-purpose yards.

Most of us had a feeling he was going to be activated. Now, will he see any offensive snaps? And, if so, how many will he see?

Yes, and I'll say 5+

Also, according to the poll, most of us had the feeling he would NOT be activated.

Last edited:

Sounds like he could be the Pats version of Steve Breaston. And if he gives us good field position with his returns and frees up Welker to concentrate only on receiving, that's valuable in and of itself.

Ok.. the 66 receptions for 1213 yards was what he did as a senior in HIGH SCHOOL. Tate only played in a few games his senior year before missing the final seven with his torn ACL/MCL.

At UNC, here are Tate's numbers.

46 Receptions
927 Yards
8 TDs

26 Carries
294 yards
2 tds

79 Punt Returns
835 yards
3TDs

109 Returns
2688 Yards
3 TDs

He set the NCAA record for total return yards and would have shattered the record for Kick return yards and made over 1000 yards on punt returns had he not gotten hurt.

Heres where i disagree. His 40 time was only average. He plays faster than what he runs. Very quick feet and hands. Is very agile and probably would have scored incredibly well in the 3 cone.

Patriots have the most success with players (WR specifically) who run very good to amazing 3 cone times.

His time before the injury was only average. He had quick feet and hands before the injury, and may have been very agile. 3 Cone??? Guessing doesnt do any good, and exactly where have the Pats had success?? Moss? Welker? Anyone else?? 50-50 at best, I wouldnt catagorize any of it as even a tendancy yet.

What I'd like to know is what is his number? Couldn't find it on the Pats website.

He had quick feet and hands before the injury, and may have been very agile. 3 Cone??? Guessing doesnt do any good, and exactly where have the Pats had success?? Moss? Welker? Anyone else?? 50-50 at best, I wouldnt catagorize any of it as even a tendancy yet.

Deion Branch, Julian Edelman.

Based on available info, since Branch's draft year of 2002 Branch and Edelman hold the two best short shuttle scores among all drafted WRs. Welker's not too far behind. I'd call it a tendency all right.

Last edited:
PROS:
  • Excellent route runner with quick feet
  • believed to have had an excellent 3 cone time pre injury
  • Elusive in the field makes up for lack of breakout speed (aka wes welker syndrome)
  • Very good at reading blocks and making them
  • Very good flexibilty to counter for poorly thrown passes
[/QUOTE]

There's track speed and there's football speed, I could care less about his 40, if the kid is elusive, quick, football smart with reliable hands. He's going to be a stud in this offense. Let the Brandon Tate era begin. I can't wait to see him, I hope he splits reps with Aiken today as well as taking back kicks. He looks tough out there, he's definately not soft. He's a tackle breaker with YAC+ mentality based on the clips I had seen.

Last edited:
They should overload one side with tate and isolate moss on the other side and throw screen to tate.

I hope Tate becomes a legit #2 WR opposite of moss.

At 1:38. That's what I'm looking for. One shoe no less.
Against, Miami no less. While not the Miami of old, they're not Charleston South of Podunk U......... He also showed the ability to stretch out the catch the deep throws..........
They can always work to clean up his route running ability but as they said " you can't teach speed" I'm anxious to see what he can do at the next level....
It can't hurt to have Welker and Moss as mentors....

Will be wearing #19 per Reiss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back