Welcome to PatsFans.com

We see what we expect to see

Discussion in 'Patriots Draft Talk' started by patchick, Apr 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. patchick

patchick Moderatrix Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,252 / 9 / -2

#11 Jersey

Yesterday afternoon I threw my back out, so I spent the evening in bed on painkillers. This morning I woke up and said "OMG, the draft!!!" So I clicked over to Wikipedia's 2012 draft page, scrolled right down to #27 and #31, and saw the picks had been traded away.

"Wouldn't you know it," I said. "They traded out of the first round altogether."

It wasn't until a cup of coffee later when I finally bothered to scroll up.

2. dryheat44

dryheat44 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +78 / 2 / -0

#75 Jersey

With the trade up to take Chandler Jones, I think we can officially put to bed the notion that Belichick doesn't....

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  3. Hebeill

Hebeill 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I didn't watch the draft figuring BB always trades down to take a DB. Go figure

4. patchick

patchick Moderatrix Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,252 / 9 / -2

#11 Jersey

Yep, we pretty much crossed off the last remaining "doesn'ts." Although I'd argue that there's still one great big "doesn't" left: Belichick does NOT put all of his draft ammo in one basket.

Remember him counseling Dimitroff against the huge Julio Jones deal? And there was no blockbuster move to #13 for Brockers, as several folks here had dreamed of.

These were strategic, modest trades that put BB in position to make the most of the the value of his picks. In fact, the Jones pick looks very much like Rook's old "value grouping" theory. (Target a group of players you rank closely, make modest trades up or down to secure a player in that group.) We'll never know whether they would have taken Ingram, McClellin or Jones, given their druthers.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  5. Seneschal2

Seneschal2 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Correct. BB only gave up a 3rd and 4th for these two tradeups, which is in line with the most he's ever given up -- a 3rd and 7th for Graham way back when. I actually think he may have had reservations about parting w/ even one second-rounder this draft, which he kind of hinted at here:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.