PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We need a QB. Who's it going to be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The hard part to get one of these players to accept a permanent backup spot, as Huard did in the past. My choice would be Maddox. I would sign him to a 3 year deal, or even longer. Also, I would convert any bonus into 2006 salary, the day before the season started.

Tyler Faith said:
Maddox always shines as a back up. It's when he gets in a starter role that he chokes.
What the heck does this mean? THe only time a guy can shine as a backup is if he is called on to replace the starter and play in real games. The whole purpose of a backup is to have a guy that can play if you need him to.

Maddox always shines as a back up. It's when he gets in a starter role that he chokes.

I always shine when I don't have to play too, I'm a hall of fame QB as long as I'm on the bench!

And I know that's not what you meant but I was bored.

spacecrime said:
What the heck does this mean? THe only time a guy can shine as a backup is if he is called on to replace the starter and play in real games. The whole purpose of a backup is to have a guy that can play if you need him to.
When he comes in in relief..the backup he does great...when all of a sudden he's the new start..he then does terrible...(right TF?)

Detmer isnt a bad choice. My wish list would be a guy with experience, but also a guy who play within himself and wont take chances.
With the current makeup of this team, if we had to go to a #3 QB, I would want him to play extremely conservative, and just take the short stuff. If we are at #3, the gauge of success IMO will be not throwing Ints and not taking sacks more than having a lot of success throwing the ball. Logic says if we get to #3 it wouldn't be long, so we would be able to play a conservative run oriented style, and win with D. The worst thing we could do is throw a high risk high reward type guy in there.

Detmer seems to fit that. Feidler would too. Really any experienced West Coast Offense QB could be adapted to our system within a conservative game plan. We would be back to 'dink and dunk'

Maddux IMO would not be a good choice.

Finally, forget scout team, the criteria needs to be who gives us the best chance to win games in the event they have to play.

Pats726 said:
When he comes in in relief..the backup he does great...when all of a sudden he's the new start..he then does terrible...(right TF?)
I guess. Never heard of a guy who could complete passes in the second half only if he didn't play in first half. Kinda weird.

In my definition of a great backup, it would be a guy who can play if the starter can't, even if it involves playing the following week.

Maddox shined as a back-up because teams didn't game plan for him.

The need for a scout team QB isn't acute, BB also uses scouts and coaches in that role.

Tommy is now veteran enough to help develop his depth, Mortenson and Bramlet may not have the arms Tommy and Matt have, but Tommy was considered weak armed when he first came into the league. I'm comfortable with Mortenson holding the clipboard after watching him play in NFLE, he's got a lot to learn and he needs to spend time with Woicik and Nash, but the kid has some potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents