PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We are not drafting an edge rusher in first two rounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great plan, the Pats pass rush was about the worst in the NFL last year and your plan is not not improve it at all. Please tell me some free agents or trades will be made to boost the OLB. Maybe you like the deadly combinations of:
TBC
Crable
Thomas
Woods
Nincovich
Te'o-Nesheim

That would with out a doubt be one of the worst set of OLBs in the NFL. I not saying they draft 4 pass rushers in rounds 1 or 2 but would be shocked if one is not added.

This is not my plan. This is somewhat what I expect from Hoodie.

Theres opportunity in 6th and 7th round to add Linebackers. Joker, Mike or Sam. I'm guessing Joker.

Why is it that you think the most athletically demanding position on the team can be filled in the latest rounds?

Last edited:
Why is it that you think the most athletically demanding position on the team can be filled in the latest rounds?

wondering the same..we are obviously going to take one of these

graham
kindle
jpp
everson
hughes
worilds
sapp
in first 2 rounds

I wouldn't be surprised to see them take Odrick at 22. I like the Gerhart pick but am convinced that he's going in the second round.

I don't know, why don't you ask Belichick. That is how he has drafted and constructed this team in the last 3 or 4 years. Piere Woods (FA) Gary Guyton (FA) TBC (7th round pick) Ninkovich (4thh, FA), Alexander (FA), Too many Jags.

You tell me. This is how it is. Is there something I'm missing?

I honestly hope i'm wrong in terms of how he approaches this years draft.

Jay, I'm just trying to think of how Belichick might view this draft. It s not not what I want. With 4 [picks in the 1st two round, two 1st rounders next year, I'm like most on this board, I want a damned play maker on defense.

Last edited:
We are not drafting Sapp, Hughs, Graham or Kindle. This is what I expect from our beloved Hoodie:

1st round
22. Jared Odrick, NFL ready 3/4 End

2nd round
44. Damian Williams, WR NFL ready receiver (special teams also)
47 trade for 3 and 4th and 5th rounder (according to value charts) too much value in rounds 3-5 to only have one 4th round pick)
53 Mike Johnson, OL Versatile, looks like young Hog Hannah, excellent run blocker,some insurance for Neal. I love Stephen Neal as much as anyone but who knows if he holds up physically

Third Round
65 From trade)Toby Gerhart RB Great blocker and good receiver, good all around back, need to start taking pressure off Brady by running for some 1st downs. Might not be here. ( M. Hardesty)

4th round
97 (from trade) Tony Moeaki, TE, Iowa (Great Value here)
119 Daniel Te'o-Nesheim, DE, Washington, here is your pass rusher, a younger, slightly larger Tedy Bruschi

5th round
132 (from trade) Amari Spievey, CB, Iowa, Hoodie not happy with Wheatley, Wilhite

6th and 7th round depth, possible inside linebacker, OG, Special teams JAGS ect, possible diamonds in the rough(Edelman, Givens ect)

I would not be upset with this draft. I really like Johnson at OG in our offense. And I do think Gerhart will fall further than people think because of the five fumbles in 2009 and the surgeries in years past.

Nashiem is an interesting prospect. The tape says 6th round pick,but the measurables say 4th round pick.

wondering the same..we are obviously going to take one of these

graham
kindle
jpp
everson
hughes
worilds
sapp
in first 2 rounds

I would add Koa Misi to that group also.

Whether we like it or not, the reality is that Crable is the only OLB Belichick has drafted here earlier than the 5th round. I'm not saying I like it or agree with it . . . but it is what it is and I assume it will stay this way until proven otherwise. Maybe the Adalius Thomas flop will steer him away from veterans filling that spot and he'll try a young kid but until he does I am assuming he won't.

Me ? I'd draft two in the first two rounds :)

Just my gut, based on past draft history.

Honestly, I hope I'm wrong.

Actually there is some merit to this posting; BB does the unexpected on the draft day. Who among us didn't suspect that he would draft a pass rusher last year or USC LB.

Lets see...

Rosevelt Colvin - 4th round
Mike Vrabel - 3rd round

The athletic kids people are looking at - Hughes, Sapp, Dunlap, Graham, Kindle - all have holes in their game. The question is then, where do you want to take a player you will need to develop?

I've only seen Hughes play two games, both bowl games against Boise State. He didn't have impressive games either year. This year's game he was working against a freshman OG moved out to RT as an injury replacement since the end of the season. It may be Boise had his number, but I have to wonder how well he's going to be working against NFL Tackles without a lot of re-training?

Sapp reportedly played better as a LB this season, but despite knowing his leg wasn't 100% there is little doubt he'll need some time to adapt to the NFL.

Dunlap's pros and cons have been kicked around enough.

Graham is a fan favorite, the question that remains is his ability to play in reverse...and whether he will slide to 22 or some point NE might make an effort to move up.

Kindle was recently described by Daniel Jeremiah of Move the Sticks as a blitzer vice pass rusher. Twitter / Daniel Jeremiah: RT @Alexi_G: Sergio Kindl ... I know I haven't been that impressed the couple times I've seen him.

If one of these kids slides to the middle/late second I could see NE taking a flyer, but I don't expect BB to be targeting his OLB prospects any sooner.

Kindle was recently described by Daniel Jeremiah of Move the Sticks as a blitzer vice pass rusher. Twitter / Daniel Jeremiah: RT @Alexi_G: Sergio Kindl ... I know I haven't been that impressed the couple times I've seen him.

Based on the little film I've seen of Kindle - the link below plus a little more - I would agree with that assessment. But that's not a bad thing. I would characterize both Vrabel and AD as blitz LBs more so than rush LBs. Colvin was somewhere in the middle. Kindle has pretty good closing speed and shows some ability to set the edge. He also has the measurables, but I'd be more concerned with his off-field issues.

YouTube - Universal Draft Presents OLB Sergio Kindle of Texas

As for what we do, I wouldn't be surprised to see us draft a more traditional Sam type of LB - like Edds in the 3rd/4th round, and a 3rd down pass rusher - like a Te'o-Nesheim, Brandon Lang, or Worilds. There is ample combination of good talent and openings on the roster to make all 4 picks in the top 53 and not address the OLB position.

What about Misi? I really think we need to draft someone. If we don't take an OLB in this draft in the first 3 rounds then I would say at best this draft is a C. I think OLB is the biggest need on this team. I understand what your saying about how all these guys have holes but I think in every draft players have holes. There really isn't any sure thing in the draft. You know I love Graham and I would like Misi as well in the 2nd rd. I also think Hughes is going to be a good NFL player. In the 2nd rd he makes a lot of sense even though he doesnt fit our scheme perfectly because hes weak against the run.

I will puke if we draft Griffen, Sapp, Kindle or Dunlap. I don't like any of these four at all.

I will puke if we draft Griffen, Sapp, Kindle or Dunlap. I don't like any of these four at all.
I agree about Griffen, Kindle, and Dunlap but whats wrong with Sapp? He seems like a decent WOLB prospect to me.

We are not drafting Sapp, Hughs, Graham or Kindle. This is what I expect from our beloved Hoodie:

1st round
22. Jared Odrick, NFL-ready 3/4 End.
I'm very afraid that Odrick, because of the bust history of PSU DLmen, isn't the sure thing that 1st-rounders need to be. Can he make enough plays in the backfield while holding the POA?

2nd round
44. Damian Williams, NFL-ready WR. (special teams also)
Fine by me.

47. Trade for 3rd and 4th and 5th rounder (according to value charts); too much value in rounds 3-5 to only have one 4th round pick.
I agree that we really need to get a 3rd & a 5th somehow. Damn the Burgess & Alex Smith trades.

53. Mike Johnson, OG. Versatile, looks like a young Hog Hannah, excellent run blocker, some insurance for Neal. I love Stephen Neal as much as anyone but who knows if he holds up physically.
Don't like this one at all. Johnson's a 4th-round value, not a 2nd. Now would be the time to see what Pass-Rushers, if any, are still available.

Third Round
65. (From trade) Toby Gerhart, RB. Great blocker and good receiver, good all-around back. We need to start taking pressure off Brady by running for some 1st downs. Might not be here. (M. Hardesty)
I don't know. If we're thinking offense here, maybe we should think about TEs instead...or CBs...or more Pass-Rushers.

4th round
97. (from trade) Tony Moeaki, TE. (Great Value here)
Maybe.

119. Daniel Te'o-Nesheim, DE. Here is your pass rusher, a younger, slightly larger Tedy Bruschi.
Or our SILB of the Future, too. I like this pick.

5th round
132. (from trade) Amari Spievey, CB. Hoodie not happy with Wheatley, Wilhite.
Nor should he be. He should be unhappy with himself for drafting them in the first place. I doubt that Spievey will still be available, though maybe Myron Lewis, Kevin Thomas or AJ Jefferson will be. I wouldn't wait this long to draft another CB.

6th and 7th rounds
Depth - possible inside linebacker, OG, Special teams JAGS etc, possible diamonds in the rough (Edelman, Givens etc)

Bill should use these last 2 rounds to find either athletes with less experience (or exposure), or productive players with less athleticism.

Overall, there's some good hits and some over-drafted misses. I still strongly believe that Bill should use one of his 2nds on a Pass-Rusher. Alas, you might also be correct that he ignores the position until the 3rd day.

I'm starting to think this is the year Belichick surprises us and DOES take an edge rusher. I know what I've said in the past but we're in the biggest state of disrepair there that we ever have been. In the past at least we had the Vrabels, Colvins, Thomases. They're all gone or about to be so. Short of trading for or signing a veteran, we have TBC and . . . Crable ? I know we needed youth there before but it's way worse than ever right now so I think we'll be drafting one in the first two rounds and a second by the end of the 5th round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft