PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Warren Moon: NFL is boring - we need a farm league like NFL Europe for young QBs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see how it's not a good idea for the game. Maybe not a good financial decision, but what that they've done lately has been?
There is something to be said about investing in your product. Major league baseball teams somehow affords to pay for a multi tier minor league system

A farm league would cost money for the NFL owners to maintain. Why would the greedy owners want to spend money when they have a monopoly, and a free farm system in college football?

I have an idea.

Give St Louis an expansion NFL team, and "Pluto" the Jets to a minor league team.
They should just turn the four worst NFL teams into minor league franchises - they play like that anyway - and add four more teams from places like St. Louis and San Antonio. The next year, the best team or two make it back into the big time, like they do in English professional soccer and the two worst NFL teams are demoted. I think that there's a good chance we'd being seeing the last of the Jets in the AFC East.

Phuck Europe. Create a farm system here.

Europe gave a ''Phuck'' to NFL a long time ago too... No european players, second tier american players ... Of course the farm system will be in the US... Imagine to pay 53+ scrubs + all staff to live abroad without financial suppport from TV, no interest from the people in that country ...

For football reasons it's a great idea, but the problem is $$$$$$$$.

Estimates I've seen put the cost around $500K per team in the final year. That's a minimum-wage veteran.

It doesn't have to be in Europe, but the league needs a developmental league more than ever to help transition spread offense players to what the league needs.

This is an incredibly short-sighted decision. The NFL is looking at it probably as tickets and concessions sold vs. cost of the league. They don't realize that uncovering just one player to fill a roster spot instead of signing a pricey decent free agent would cover their entire cost right there alone.

Not going to bother writing much more on this. It's a no brainer. It should have been revived a long time ago. You spend $150M on players and then don't want to spend a fraction of a percentage of that to help them improve? If that's the way the league thinks long-term, it's already doomed.

Get Steve Belichick as head coach of a Patriots farm team, stash all our binkies on it and watch the magic happen

Moon's idea is a good one but that is a great alternate idea ALP (and a more practical one).

College is the farm for NFL QBs. Through no fault of the college game it simply is not preparing/training QBs for the pro game. For example Tyrod, I watched Tech (go out with a girl who went to Tech - be forced to watch Tech games :)) and what Tyrod was repeatedly doing at Tech was definitely not preparing him for the very difficult task of operating a pro passing game at a high level. He - through his own skill or simple luck -- got some pro seasoning sitting on the bench behind a decent pro QB. IMHO if Tyrod had been thrust into a starting pro spot quicker (like many are) he would probably be out of the NFL at this time.
The idea of giving teams latitude to keep a college QB newby or two under the wing for a few seasons without it being a tangible negative to the 53 roster is a great idea to keep the pro game where it needs to be(like it or not): a prolific passing one.

Side note: though this may seemingly be a minor item, one thing the pros can do to help is Roger and company can take some of the skim, give the NCAA a giant stack of it for "scholarships", and it ultimately is a quid pro quo to move the college hash marks to mimic the pros. Though a small change it may(?) force college coaches to spend more resources on getting their QBs to pass the ball (my assumption being coaches needing more passing to win games will mean greater repetition --> better accuracy and efficiency --> better prepared for the pros).

If I'm a college coach I'm doing everything I can to win games, not develop QBs for the NFL. The NCAA coaches figured that out some time ago and went back to running QBs.

Estimates I've seen put the cost around $500K per team in the final year. That's a minimum-wage veteran.

It doesn't have to be in Europe, but the league needs a developmental league more than ever to help transition spread offense players to what the league needs.

This is an incredibly short-sighted decision. The NFL is looking at it probably as tickets and concessions sold vs. cost of the league. They don't realize that uncovering just one player to fill a roster spot instead of signing a pricey decent free agent would cover their entire cost right there alone.

Not going to bother writing much more on this. It's a no brainer. It should have been revived a long time ago. You spend $150M on players and then don't want to spend a fraction of a percentage of that to help them improve? If that's the way the league thinks long-term, it's already doomed.

500k a month right?

How about sending players on loan like soccer?

To the CFL maybe?

There is something to be said about investing in your product. Major league baseball teams somehow affords to pay for a multi tier minor league system

Right. This not being a good financial decision isn't even a given fact, so I dunno what the NFL is thinking. But I never know that.

A farm league that supplanted college football would be the best system.

The NFL minor league could actually pay the athletes, unlike colleges, and part of that payment can be a deferred scholarship, so that the athlete can attend college in the off-season or after their careers are over, that will allow them to focus completely on school instead of managing that and their athletics, they'll do better and probably focus on areas that have better career potential.

The NFL minor league would also have them training in pro-schemes instead of college stuff that doesn't translate to the pro-level, Tim Tebow might have developed into a real talent if he was properly groomed. It would also allow NFL players a place to go after they can no longer compete on the pro-level and also ramp back up when returning from an injury. That cross-pollination would help develop the younger players in less time.

Moon's idea is a good one but that is a great alternate idea ALP (and a more practical one).

College is the farm for NFL QBs. Through no fault of the college game it simply is not preparing/training QBs for the pro game. For example Tyrod, I watched Tech (go out with a girl who went to Tech - be forced to watch Tech games :)) and what Tyrod was repeatedly doing at Tech was definitely not preparing him for the very difficult task of operating a pro passing game at a high level. He - through his own skill or simple luck -- got some pro seasoning sitting on the bench behind a decent pro QB. IMHO if Tyrod had been thrust into a starting pro spot quicker (like many are) he would probably be out of the NFL at this time.
The idea of giving teams latitude to keep a college QB newby or two under the wing for a few seasons without it being a tangible negative to the 53 roster is a great idea to keep the pro game where it needs to be(like it or not): a prolific passing one.

Side note: though this may seemingly be a minor item, one thing the pros can do to help is Roger and company can take some of the skim, give the NCAA a giant stack of it for "scholarships", and it ultimately is a quid pro quo to move the college hash marks to mimic the pros. Though a small change it may(?) force college coaches to spend more resources on getting their QBs to pass the ball (my assumption being coaches needing more passing to win games will mean greater repetition --> better accuracy and efficiency --> better prepared for the pros).

While I get your point I do not think it is the job of a college football to prepare players for the NFL. Their #1 job is to win games for their college. Some colleges focus on an NFL style of play in hopes of attracting better recruits but I do not think the talent level across the board makes this a great option for all colleges. I just don't think it is the job of college football. I would also hate to see the NFL try to dictate anything to the NCAA.

I agree as far as the NFL is concerned, college is the farm. I do not think college looks at it the same way. But I think the NFL might need to reconsider that.

I agree with Moon, QB play has been terrible, young players get pushed too early a farm league would be great

The original World League had franchises in the US and in Europe. The US franchises failed hard, while the European ones did OK enough for a while, so that's why it morphed into NFL Europe in the latter stages after ditching the US franchises. I'm not sure why it would be different if they tried it again. European cities might give it decent attendance as they don't really have the exposure to good football to tell the difference. Even in podunk US locales we have college and the NFL on our TVs to compare it with. The XFL and USFL also failed in the US.

Maybe they should try loaning players to the one other already functional professional football league, the CFL.

I have an idea.

Give St Louis an expansion NFL team, and "Pluto" the Jets to a minor league team.

My dig at plutoing the Jets is not just because they suck (they do.) It's also because NYC is the only market with two NFL teams. At one time, the front office would not let an expansion team form within 100 miles of an existing one after it merged with the AFL. I oppose the Chargers moving to LA (they have that option) for the same reason. Besides, Both the Raiders and Rams left LA in 1996 because the market was not big enough for two teams. Ideally, if the Raiders stayed, St Louis would still have the Rams today.

Hardly anyone notices a big part of the reason why the Jets get no respect. They have always been second fiddle to the Giants.

The problem with a minor league (similar to NFL Europe) means more football games for these players, and given what we know now about CTE, playing 30+ games per year for minimal pay does not make a lot of sense.

The better farm system would be something similar to hockey and baseball. The farm clubs would play their season at the same time as the NFL. A few teams could share the same farm club, so NFL teams would not need to increase their payroll with 45 additional players.

Whatever minor league could be formed, they could have specific rules to promote player development such as to require that teams play multiple quarterbacks so that they get game experience, larger rosters and snap limits to spread playing time around. More time between games so that they can practice more. Essentially be a series of college "all star" games rather than a league in which teams are riding players hard to win games.

The original World League had franchises in the US and in Europe. The US franchises failed hard, while the European ones did OK enough for a while, so that's why it morphed into NFL Europe in the latter stages after ditching the US franchises. I'm not sure why it would be different if they tried it again. European cities might give it decent attendance as they don't really have the exposure to good football to tell the difference. Even in podunk US locales we have college and the NFL on our TVs to compare it with. The XFL and USFL also failed in the US.

Maybe they should try loaning players to the one other already functional professional football league, the CFL.
It's perhaps illustrating your point that Moon himself played first in the CFL, though at that time it was more because the NFL did not want to play black quarterbacks.

It makes no sense to have this on Europe, given the complexity and cost of football operations it becomes cumbersome. It makes sense in the US but then you have another layer between the college and professional football. Given health issues, CBA conflicts, the fact that football operations take the whole year and not only 4 months of season so coaches and scouts will have to scout College players and minor league developmental players.

Of course a billion dollar industry like the NFL can operationalize that, and they should invest in their product that stinks right now, but none of this matters if other issues do not get addressed like the awful rules and refereeing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3