PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Does the NFL need a developmental/minor league?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

What do you think?

• Yes

Votes: 33 51.6%
  • No, college football is enough

Votes: 31 48.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
UDFL
WFL
WLAF
Arena FB
UFL

As a general rule, the only "minor" leagues that Americans really support long-term are in baseball. Had the European experiment worked out, it would have been perfect for the league. Since it went tits up, though, I don't know what the league thinks it can do.

There is a Spring League now. It is called the NFL. Hundreds of players who will not be on NFL teams play and practice with an NFL team for the Spring and Summer. There are about 30 players per team or over 350 players in this situation. Would the NFL really be better off with a Spring League to send these player to? I think the NFL is better off with the players in various camps and practices.

If the NFL wants to have a Spring League, then they will start and fund one, as was the case with NFL Europe. I don't see the market or the need, but if it makes sense for nfl teams, then it will happen.

Personally, it makes no sense for me to have potential patriot players playing in a Spring league. I'd rather have them in rookie camp or OTA's. I'd rather have them learning the playbook and preparing for Training Camp where they can compete for a Practice Squad or a roster position. That was my problem with the league in Europe. I thought that our players would have a better chance of progressing by spending the time being coached by patriot coaches. The team is fully able to set up whatever scrimmages are needed, and open them to the public if there is interest.
================================

MY BOTTOM LINE
I would support another an increase to the Practice Squad numbers, giving even more players nfl income and practice. The current total is over 2000. I'm not sure there is much more room, but a couple of more per team would be fine. I would also support increase the active roster by a couple and the total roster to 55.

There is a Spring League now. It is called the NFL. Hundreds of players who will not be on NFL teams play and practice with an NFL team for the Spring and Summer. There are about 30 players per team or over 350 players in this situation. Would the NFL really be better off with a Spring League to send these player to? I think the NFL is better off with the players in various camps and practices.

Would Warren Moon have had the chance for a successful career if he wasn't able to go to Canada and play there? Sometimes it takes a little while for a player to blossom to NFL quality, James Harrison is a great example, thankfully he was able to go to NFL Europe and play there.

Having the opportunity to play in real games is not the same as going to OTAs or training camp.

One way of developing players would be to simply allow expanded roster through training camp and then allow say a 12 to16 person practice squad in addition to the 53. That way the practice squad allows injury protection and availability of players who are familiar with the schemes and familiar to the coaches and the rest of the team.

It will never happen because of the risk of injuries.

I assume they'd all be under contracts - albeit small contracts, as Practice squad players practice and scrimmage woithout this serving as a road block.

My question would be whether there's enough NFL caliber talent to give coaches and GMs a look they don't already get at such players who are on the Practice Squad, AFL, CFL or now the upcoming UFL.

In short, unless the NFL feels threatened by the UFL there's already enough "mock games" being played to see what sort of speed, instinct and skills a player has.

I'd be much more open to them expanding the Practice Squad - but as it stands a good portion of the guys stashed on the PS never make it in the NFL so I doubt there's enough talent to make this a need.

If they go to 18 games they will undoubtedly expand the roster, and probably expand the practice roster. This would allow many more bubble players to make the league.

no, thanks

I think that a minor league would do really well for NFL teams.

As it has been said, a player could look brilliant in practice, but put them in a game, and they could be awful. This idea would allow a little more experimentation with players.

I could basically be an expansion of the practice squad :)

One way of developing players would be to simply allow expanded roster through training camp and then allow say a 12 to16 person practice squad in addition to the 53. That way the practice squad allows injury protection and availability of players who are familiar with the schemes and familiar to the coaches and the rest of the team.

While expanding the practice squad might be a very good idea it's not going to have the same effect as far as developing players goes, Cassel was pretty bad when he took over for Brady, it was only by playing every week that turned him into a pretty damn good QB by season's end.

I'll admit I left the CFL out of the equation, but I hardly hear it talked about anymore, except when some total NFL washout (like Charles Rodgers) goes there and can't make it in that league either. You just never seem to hear about some breakout guy coming out of the CFL, or at least I don't. If I'm missing anyone feel free to give examples. And Warren Moon doesn't count, because everyone knew he would be good, but wouldn't start him for other reasons. And anyway I'm talking about recent players.

Cameron Wake

No and for one reason...injuries.

To answer the question: No, the league already has one; it's called NCAA Division I.

Right now, we have a high quality Professional League in the NFL and high quality College ball. If there's that much more prime talent, I'd rather see the NFL expand or a competing league try to pull off what the AFL did 50 years ago.

If there's that much more prime talent, I'd rather see the NFL expand or a competing league try to pull off what the AFL did 50 years ago.

I doubt we'll ever see that again for two reasons - 1) as I mentioned earlier, it seems like there's barely enough talent good enough for the NFL as it is now, and 2) taking on the NFL today would be financial suicide. The USFL might still be around today if they had kept playing in the spring; they signed their own death certificate as soon as they decided to move to the fall.

It's a funny to read posts form people who clearly obsess about football to suggest they'd have no interest in watching a developmental league. Myself, I am bored to tears during the NBA/NHL season. But in fairness, I have had little to no interest in Arena League, the CFL, the XFL, the World League, etc. What WOULD interest me would be if instead of a dozen teams of prospects scattered in towns not affiliated with any NFL team, each NFL team had its OWN developmental team located in a nearby smaller market. For instance, the Bengals' developmental team could play in Lexington. And they could lease a college stadium in that town. (Such as UK's.). That way, each team's fanbase has a specific developmental team to follow. That, I think, would make it far more interesting. It would also be essential to play by NFL rules, and involve coaches and players currently on the roster. For instance, I think most teams would be happy to develop their #3 QB, or maybe even #2, in the spring. And many fans would like to see that player play. The NFL would essentially dramatically expand the practice squad. Keep the salaries low. Go after tv dollars in the spring/summer. Let stars serve as sideline reporters and commentators during their career. More jobs, more revenue, something for the fans to watch in the spring and summer other than the Draft. I think it has a lot of potential.

It's a funny to read posts form people who clearly obsess about football to suggest they'd have no interest in watching a developmental league. Myself, I am bored to tears during the NBA/NHL season. But in fairness, I have had little to no interest in Arena League, the CFL, the XFL, the World League, etc. What WOULD interest me would be if instead of a dozen teams of prospects scattered in towns not affiliated with any NFL team, each NFL team had its OWN developmental team located in a nearby smaller market. For instance, the Bengals' developmental team could play in Lexington. And they could lease a college stadium in that town. (Such as UK's.). That way, each team's fanbase has a specific developmental team to follow. That, I think, would make it far more interesting. It would also be essential to play by NFL rules, and involve coaches and players currently on the roster. For instance, I think most teams would be happy to develop their #3 QB, or maybe even #2, in the spring. And many fans would like to see that player play. The NFL would essentially dramatically expand the practice squad. Keep the salaries low. Go after tv dollars in the spring/summer. Let stars serve as sideline reporters and commentators during their career. More jobs, more revenue, something for the fans to watch in the spring and summer other than the Draft. I think it has a lot of potential.

Sounds like a plan! :)

On a semi-related note: UFL to add team in Virginia for 2011 season - NCAA Football - CBSSports.com

I played in a minor league back in the late 60's and I think the model HT mentioned is the way to go. In my case, I went from a small college player who had absolutely no NFL ambitions to someone who was a late cut. Now my own size and athletic limitations made that cut a reasonable decision, it did allow me to raise my play to the highest level. Besides the $250/wk was more than I was making teaching school. ;)

More importantly I can think of several players who I played with or against who DID have careers in the NFL after playing a few years in that league. Since I'm so old that most of them no one would remember even if I mention them. However I will mention one, Bob Tucker, who played for the Lowell Giants and Pottstown Firebirds, and then had several very successful seasons with the NY Giants as a TE.

The key I think isn't have one minor league, but a few regional ones, and having local NFL teams with affiliations with the teams. For example Have 4 eight team leagues (one in the NE, one in the SE, one in the mid-west, and one out west). Having an NFL affiliation would create local interest.

Back in my day there were8 8 teams running from Quincy MA in the north to Richmond VA in the South. There were 2 teams in CT, one on LI, 2 in PA and 2 in VA. Most of the teams had NFL affiliations with teams in the Northeast. (Pats, Bills, Jets, Giants, Steelers, Eagles, and Redskins, with only the Saints being out of the area. When we played in PA and Va we had big crowds (30K+), while in CT we still got 20K, in fact the weakest fan base was my own badly managed team in Quincy...and we averaged over 10K at our games at Quincy's HS field

I think a league that was well managed could attract 30K+ for attendance, and in areas where football is really big like in the SE and TX I think they would do even better. Not only would it benefit the NFL by providing a feeder system for the NFL, it would allow marginal players like myself to be able to continue to play the game we loved for a few more years, along with providing high quality, reasonably priced competitive football to a local market. An added benefit would be that NFL teams would have a feeder system not only for players but coaches and FO people.

The financial success of local minor league baseball teams SHOULD be an indicator to the NFL that it is possible not only to have a minor league, but a financially successful one as well, especially with the proliferation of local sports channels (like NESN, and CSN) who are constantly looking for content and have plenty of money (relatively) to spend to broadcast those games

Last edited:
I doubt we'll ever see that again for two reasons - 1) as I mentioned earlier, it seems like there's barely enough talent good enough for the NFL as it is now, and 2) taking on the NFL today would be financial suicide. The USFL might still be around today if they had kept playing in the spring; they signed their own death certificate as soon as they decided to move to the fall.

Good points all. But an alternative league, playing an abbreviated season in the spring and early summer, before baseball heats up, of maybe six or eight teams that put two or more of its teams in a position to join the NFL after four or five years, might work.

While I'm FOR having sort of a minor league (like we now have with the UFL), I'm AGAINST it being a developmental league for two reasons...

First, I think to call it a developmental league would be a bit deceptive since I'd guess that very few guys would play a few years in the dev league and then be brought to the NFL. Every once in a while you see a practice squad guy make the roster, but they're usually special team, bottom of the roster type guys, and they'd be the same guys you'd see promoted to the NFL. The large majority of guys would make it to the NFL right out of college just like it is now, with the occational guy coming from the CFL or Arena league or a practice squad.

Second, it'd likely mean the end to the practice squad as we know it. If it would still exist, it'd be guys who wouldn't even make the minor league roster, so you don't have guys who can step in and be instantly familiar with the NFL team's playbook. If the practice squad was done away with, it might lead to increased wear and tear on the players if they have to do scout team duty.

Any minor league they add, should be played in the spring, and it should have the primary purpose of entertaining us during the NFL offseason. But having the teams linked to an NFL team would be a bad idea.

I don't see how a minor league would result in NFL teams not having practice squads. Most guys, I would think, would still rather be on an NFL practice squad then start in the UFL, Arena, etc. And teams would still want guys who would practice in their system, etc. the way practice squad players do now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes