PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Warren Moon: NFL is boring - we need a farm league like NFL Europe for young QBs

Status
Not open for further replies.
So for $30 million you could fund NFL Europe for 16 seasons or Darelle Revis for two seasons?

I've played in a semi-professional team in the Netherlands for awhile. I can say that there's no way to compare the quality, even from the NCAA to there. I could see one, maybe 2 guys being worth a training camp squad. The exception, i would say, is in OL positions. I've seen some huuuge boys playing (Vollmer style). lackluster skill-wise, for sure, but with excellent physical acumen.

That being said, 90% of the teams only train twice a week, with varying degrees of participation. If they were paid to play and went through rigorous training, i can see some players being imported from Europe

If I'm a college coach I'm doing everything I can to win games, not develop QBs for the NFL. The NCAA coaches figured that out some time ago and went back to running QBs.

Completely agree 60. College coaches have one job, win games. They have no responsibility to be a farm for the NFL or to prepare the player for the NFL.
Putting in a complex pro style passing game for a college offense is going to be more difficult (and probably significantly more unlikely to succeed) than having an offense who relies on a QB whose dynamism gets it done (satisfactory passing + excellent rushing production = success).
College owes the NFL nothing! IMHO college should remain as it is (side note: my only issue with college is the gross hypocrisy of bringing in star players who sometimes have little chance of passing the entrance exam -- meaning they're not currently at the scholastic level to absorb the benefit of a higher education -- yet colleges call a "a free college education" their compensation while not allowing them to earn any $$$.

Look I completely recognize I could be wrong but when the college football is placed on the left or right hashmark, the added room of the wider side is fertile, more open ground for QBs who typically are much more agile than most of the defenders. This more frequent open area as well as speed of the defenders difference between the pro and college game makes the skillsets delta needed for entering the pros even greater.
So, IMHO, Alp's or Moon's ideas are good alternates for getting these critical developmental reps (and keep the NFL game what it needs to be for it to remain singular in its ability to attract fans/viewers: a passing one).
(important disclosure: I don't care whatsoever for the NFL to keep its titanic media hold. I enjoy the Patriots as a BB-TB thing and suspect after they're gone my enthusiasm will too).

Unless you view the college game as minor leagues ( it is not) the NFL is the only lteague without a minor developmental league of the 4 sports. They need one as QB play is poorer than in recent years.

Defensive line is easier to play than offensive line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3