Status
Not open for further replies.

pats1

PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl

Patriots | Warfield seeking starting role
Sun, 25 Jun 2006 15:20:45 -0700

Richard Thomas, of the Texarkana Gazette, reports New England Patriots CB Eric Warfield will be seeking a starting spot in training camp. The Kansas City Chiefs cut Warfield, after eight seasons with the team, March 3. "Kansas City wanted to go in a different direction, and I have nothing bad to say about their organization, coaches or players," Warfield said Friday, June 23. Warfield, who is currently listed as the No. 2 left cornerback for New England, doesn't plan on being a backup. "I asked them what my role would be, and they said 'Whatever you make it.' That's why I think it I can go out there and show them what I'm capable of doing, then I can earn a starting spot," Warfield said. CB Ellis Hobbs and Warfield (6-0, 190) will likely compete for the starting left cornerback spot. Warfield has played only corner in his pro career, but says the Patriots have informed him he could be moved to safety if the team needs to move him. Warfield said he will continue offseason workouts until July 7, then get a couple of weeks off before he reports to training camp on July 28.

Last edited:
Nothing to add to your post except that it is a ray of light on this murky weekend to see the "countdown" now at 33.

I think it would be great if that is the very first thing that we saw when we click on to Patsfans.com.:rocker:

PATSNUTme said:
Nothing to add to your post except that it is a ray of light on this murky weekend to see the "countdown" now at 33.

I think it would be great if that is the very first thing that we saw when we click on to Patsfans.com.:rocker:

Here, I'll get a 4-hour head-start on 32 for you...

Last edited:
Few thoughts...

A. Didn't he absolutely stink in mini camp?

B. If he doesn't get it, how do you think he'll react?

mavfan2390 said:
Few thoughts...

A. Didn't he absolutely stink in mini camp?

B. If he doesn't get it, how do you think he'll react?

My sentiments exactly - on both counts. Hopefully he was just slow to pick up the system, but I heard the guy stood out as kind of a crapfest - and no, this is not based on that one anecdote where Hobbs called him out for dropping an INT.

PATSNUTme said:

There was a site a few years ago that had a continuous training camp countdown to the second. It was not running again before last year.

pats1 said:
I asked them what my role would be, and they said 'Whatever you make it.'

I know it's no revelation, but that's just a great example of the way the Pats do business. No bs, no stroking free agents, just a simple, "It's up to you. You play well, you're rewarded. You don't, you won't be." Not only is it honest and upfront, but it attracts the kinds of players that will thrive in that system. As Pioli (I think) once said when commenting on the lack of "red carpet" type stuff for free agents, "If the player wants the sizzle, he's probably not for us, anyway."

Hobbs should be #1. Samuel and Warfield for #2? No, dont forget that we still have Randall Gay. He showed potential starting in a completely decimated secondary. I wont feel bad for Warfield to see him drop to #4 on the depth chart. I hear a lot of people saying Samuel is better on the inside...so hey I wouldnt even mind seeing Hobbs and Gay as our starters. But I doubt Samuel is dropped out of the starters position.

Last edited:
Kdo5 said:
Hobbs should be #1. Samuel and Warfield for #2? No, dont forget that we still have Randall Gay. He showed potential starting in a completely decimated secondary. I wont feel bad for Warfield to see him drop to #4 on the depth chart. I hear a lot of people saying Samuel is better on the inside...so hey I wouldnt even mind seeing Hobbs and Gay as our starters. But I doubt Samuel is dropped out of the starters position.

Samuel #1 by about two lengths. Some of you must have been watching a different Hobbs than me. I saw a CB who was inconsistent but had a tendency to make a big play now and then. Terrell Buckley comes to mind.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes