PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Walls beginning to go up on Gillette Lighthouse

Ian

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Reaction score
Just spotted this and figured I'd post it here:

Looks like that may begin to look a little more finished in the coming weeks. And it appears they've fully closed in that end and things are moving along.

A few snaps I took in early February, when I was in the area and had some time to kill. I meant to post them earlier, but this thread finally triggered me to do so. I like the last one the best. Somewhere someplace a geek put the words "No signal" into their code, now it's in pretty much every bit of video firmware ever made.

1678387611046.png

1678387766965.png

1678387815619.png

1678387946323.png

With real Bud Light in it too. Think of the possibilities...
I remember at college football games decades ago they had trucks that had beer spigots right on side of them. Hand over your money, walk right up, pour your own. They also had bathrooms where the entire wall was a urinal, with water running down from pipes on the top. Walk right up, let fly, you had to be incredibly drunk to miss. I remember my young mind thinking this was a sure sign of the advancement of mankind. So many challenges were addressed head-on and the optimal solutions were found. The beer to pee cycle was as about as optimal as it could be without having a beer IV infusion running and a catheter up your pee-pee. It was a thrilling time to be alive!

I never thought much about it but the open end did add some charm when visiting the hall, pro shop, or mall when you were on the outside looking in it was nice to see the field.

I was there the other day it just didn't feel right all closed up but maybe it will when it's all done and no longer a construction zone. More importantly it looks good on the inside on game days.

With real Bud Light in it too. Think of the possibilities...

I thought we explored those possibilities pretty thoroughly back in the Schaefer Stadium days. We may not be as good as we once were in that regard but perhaps we could give it a go and see if we could be as good just this once as we ever were. It's not as though after we try anybody has to see us the next day... or three.
Lead on Good Captain!

I never thought much about it but the open end did add some charm when visiting the hall, pro shop, or mall when you were on the outside looking in it was nice to see the field.

I was there the other day it just didn't feel right all closed up but maybe it will when it's all done and no longer a construction zone. More importantly it looks good on the inside on game days.
I had the same thoughts. While I was there I did try to get a glimpse of the field, but wasn't able to. There was one place near the hall that was blocked with a temporary wooden barrier that I hope is open once they finish construction.

I spent a good half hour in the Pro Shop and left empty handed, which was kinda disappointing. I guess I am not that into wearing sports garb. They had a lot of choices, but none grabbed me. It wasn't that enticing a place to be. Bare concrete floors. Bored sales staff. I guess they're used to customers who just walk in and lay their money down, because they didn't seem to be trying very much to move the merch.

Agreed. I drove through one summer and stopped by to check out the hall of fame and it was amazing to be able to walk up and see the field.

I sit in the north end zone so I cant wait to see the new giant screen. I’m guessing that the screen will always have some type of advertisements on it.

Worlds away from where it was when I first visited the stadium in 1996. The Pro Shop was pretty basic. No slick feel to it at all. LOTS of bargain discounts. I got a Ted Johnson away jersey (well, my parents got it for me:p) for something like 75 percent off b/c the security tag had gone off on it on the lower right.

Wake me up when Kraft comes up with a construction project that actually gives them a meaningful competitive advantage at home. I could care less about aesthetics and I’m still pissed off about Bob tearing out end zone seats, in order to build a field-level bar.

Underneath the center-field bleachers... You couldn't miss; and there was always room for one more...

Many moons ago, when the mammoths were still plentiful on the plain I inadvertently committed an act bordering on child abuse there. Our oldest was just a little guy and we went into that bathroom. As we walked in it honestly didn't occur to me that the poor little guy's chin was just even with that trough. He instantly turned a never before seen shade of green and violently and repeatedly vomited directly into it. It was the era of cheap beer and drunken Bleacher Creatures, even a seasoned 6 foot adult had to half hold their breath to survive standing at that trough. The ensuing chain reaction was like something out of a bad episode of Family Guy. At t least half a dozen Bleacher Creatures contributed the contents of their stomachs to the festivities. Needless to say, he of course regaled his mother with the tale in graphic detail. To this day in our household it is referred to as The Great Fenway Vomit Riot.

Good times, good times.

Last edited:
Ah, horse troughs. In the early days of WWII when we were sending Lend-Lease destroyers to the Brits one of the mods the Royal Navy required to the ships was the removal of toilets for the crew and their replacement with the horse troughs that were RN standard. The RN didn't want their men going all voluptuary like the Yanks -there's no end to where that leads...

I remember at college football games decades ago they had trucks that had beer spigots right on side of them. Hand over your money, walk right up, pour your own. They also had bathrooms where the entire wall was a urinal, with water running down from pipes on the top. Walk right up, let fly, you had to be incredibly drunk to miss. I remember my young mind thinking this was a sure sign of the advancement of mankind. So many challenges were addressed head-on and the optimal solutions were found. The beer to pee cycle was as about as optimal as it could be without having a beer IV infusion running and a catheter up your pee-pee. It was a thrilling time to be alive!
Went to the 1st SEC championship game in'92, played at ancient Legion Field in Birmingham, AL.
Across the street was the Touchdown Lounge, essentially a 50' x 50' box with a roof that people poured into to lube up on game days.
The bar was made of plywood, the decorations were stacks of empty cases and the aroma consisted of stale beer, vomit and piss.
I'm at the packed bar paying for a round and I drop cash on the floor and I say to my friends, "I think I dropped a twenty on the ground." Suddenly, about 15 guys step away from the bar to look for free cash and I noticed they ALL were taking pisses on the side of the bar, I kid you not.
So later, why not.
When in Rome.........

Sidenote: Next day, went back to stadium early in the AM to retrieve the 2 RVs we rented for tailgating (our own dedicated bathrooms) and the stadium was unlocked and empty so we walked in and played 6 on 6 nerf football on the field before heading to the airport.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back