PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Waiting For Transactions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the info. For a team as cap strapped as NE, though, I think those are fundamentally the same. :)

The patriots have over $3.8M in cap room.

The first opportunity the Patriots had to get Coleman back on the team they did. I don't think he's that obvious a cut.

OFFENSE
It would seem that the offensive roster might be set for awhile. Cadet and White are signed through next year. We can afford to see what we have, at least on the practice field. After all, we only have 23 players on offense and Cadet is an OK 4th or 5th
receiver.
==========
DEFENSE
When Belichick chooses to pick up someone, I would think that one of the defensive linemen is vulnerable. 11 is a lot of linemen. Obviously, we also have 6 safeties.
================
WHERE MIGHT WE PICK UP A PLAYER
The answer, as always, is anywhere he sees an upgrade over the 53rd player on the team. Thornton and Wilson are my nominees.

So we still think Ebner stays over Wilson?

I take it you didn't see when 3 of the 4 TDs came from the 4-Man TE Formation?

What I saw was a sluggish Williams line up in a T/TE position on every instance of the formation playcall and never split out once. He's strictly a blocking TE. Cameron Flemming did basically the same thing all last season and still could now.

I fail to see how Williams is anything more than a JAG taking up a roster space, but I'm glad someone has high hopes for the kid...

I fail to see how Williams is anything more than a JAG taking up a roster space, but I'm glad someone has high hopes for the kid...

Where did I say I had high hopes?

What I saw was a sluggish Williams line up in a T/TE position on every instance of the formation playcall and never split out once. He's strictly a blocking TE. Cameron Flemming did basically the same thing all last season and still could now.

Williams needs some time to get in TE shape and probably lose a few pounds. More than likely he had to bulk up to play tackle.

Where did I say I had high hopes?

Where did I say I never saw when 3 of the 4 TDs came from the 4-Man TE Formation?

See, I too can be literal...

Williams needs some time to get in TE shape and probably lose a few pounds. More than likely he had to bulk up to play tackle.

That's all well and dandy, but I still don't see why it's worth wasting a roster spot on a project getting into game shape. I'm not questioning Belichick, just my opinion.

The patriots have over $3.8M in cap room.

I know. That's "cap strapped" for this team at this time of the year, particularly when it took a couple transactions to get there. :)

I don't think he is meant to be a conventional TE, that is not his role.

IMHO, Williams is essentially a sixth offensive lineman for blocking purposes (the role Fleming played last year) but at the TE position, and with the added bonus of having very good hands (at Alabama he made some big catches when thrown to). However, he was never a fabulous athlete, and he isn't expected to be running deep routes or juking defenders, he is a blocker with good hands who will occasionally surprise with a key reception when left alone.

It will be very interesting to see if the Pats want him to lose weight. I suspect not, I think they want him as effectively a sixth offensive lineman like Fleming last year, but with the added flexibility of being able to reliably catch a pass when left open.

Alge Crumpler played 52% of the offensive snaps in 2010 at what appeared to be an awfully similar weight to what Williams is listed at right now. There's definitely a role in the offense for that kind of player.

Alge Crumpler played 52% of the offensive snaps in 2010 at what appeared to be an awfully similar weight to what Williams is listed at right now. There's definitely a role in the offense for that kind of player.
Agreed. I could see that role being on the goal line for 2 point conversions.

Good point. I didn't realize that Crumpler played 52% of the snaps that year. My 30 second Google search indicates he had only 6 receptions that year, but with 52% of the snaps obviously his blocking was valued. Hopefully Williams can fulfill the same blocking function and maybe even do a little better that 6 receptions per year once he gets a little more seasoning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back