Volin: Several teams wanted to get their grubby hands on AJ Derby

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctpatsfan77

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
For once, I believe him.

We’re told that several teams called the Patriots over the last week trying to pry second-year tight end AJ Derby from them, hoping that Derby was the victim of a numbers crunch with Rob Gronkowski, Martellus Bennett, and Clay Harbor also at the position. Derby had 15 catches for 189 yards and a touchdown in the preseason and made some impressive catches in traffic.

Ben Volin: Just how bad is Teddy Bridgewater’s injury? - The Boston Globe

I like Derby a lot, but I have the feeling that one of them may go--most likely Harbor--after some roster shuffling. Don't see them carrying 4 TEs plus Develin all season. Maybe an extended tryout period for Derby and Harbor?

Yea I think they are still battling that one out.

Pretty much confirms he wasn't making it to the practice squad.

I wonder how high of a pick the Pats could have gotten...4th, 5th?

That seems in the ballpark. He looked damn good.

Plus the fact there was competition. The league really lacks an abundance of good TEs.

Right. The number of 5-tool TEs (catch near, catch far, run block, pass block and has speed) is a dying breed. In fact, there is really one, maybe two in the whole league and they are in Foxboro.

I'm dont know what kind of blocker Derby is but he seems to meet the minimum standard here - which means hes can do it.

Tyler Eiffert
Travis Kelce
Julius Thomas
Say hi.

That the best Ben Vomit can do for today?

If Sam frickin' Bradford can bring back a first and a conditional, I figure a wannabe TE should bring back at least that much, right?

If they have depth at WR on the practice squad they could very well be four deep at TE during the regular season. It's more about receivers than WRs specifically, and right now they are deep at receiver and can run any variation of a receiving offense at any time. I think Hogan, Mitchell, Gronk, and Bennett and Edelman, as well as Foster and White out of the backfield will give them the big plays they will just be lacking the sideline deep threat, unless Mitchell can fill that role. I think running the two TE is the key to this offense and keeping four makes sense for a season where that is their base. And the fact that they can slide between that and H back sets with Harbor and Develin will make them really tough to figure out. I am looking forward to watching this offense develop.

He's an awful reporter. It's pretty apparent that the Globe is going the minimum wage route for the job.

drivethru8n-2-web.jpg

"Big Mac and fries, $5.79. Also, Derby was almost traded. Tell your friends you heard it from Ben!"

I really like Derby. He's a special athlete. More like a big WR than a TE, he is really gonna help the red zone offense. Imagine a three TE set with Bennett,Gronk and Derby in the red zone, you don't know whether they are blocking or gonna go get a jump ball. Hopefully Bennett wakes the **** up, and catches 40-50 passes.

He's an awful reporter. It's pretty apparent that the Globe is going the minimum wage route for the job.
My fantasy? Volin leaves n Howe steps in

The one team we definitely know that wasn't interested in Derby is Baltimore cos they have the best TE depth in the league.

Gillmore, Pitta, Williams.

#soblessed

Probably was a big reason he made the main roster

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes