PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Vikings RB Adrian Peterson indicted for child abuse; deactivated for Pats game at Minnesota

What did his 4 year old do to get that kind of whipping? Like I could maybe understand if it was a 9 or 10 year old that somewhat understands that he did something wrong and there are consequences. But a 4 year old?

Deadspin ✔ @Deadspin
Cops: The 4-year-old boy told his mother that Adrian Peterson "likes belts and switches" and "has a whooping room.

Ian Rapoport ✔ @RapSheet
Lawyer Rusty Hardin: “It is important to remember that Adrian never intended to harm his son and deeply regrets the unintentional injury.”

.....yeah, because when he admitted to authorities that he had "whooped" the child, no one understood that the verb "whoop" in Texan means "hugged".

Based on those pictures you posted earlier, there's no way he'll be able to convince reasonable people that it was just standard discipline. I was spanked as a kid too--as were most of my friends--but never anything that left lasting damage. That's just objectively abusive behavior, and it's reprehensible.

What did his 4 year old do to get that kind of whipping? Like I could maybe understand if it was a 9 or 10 year old that somewhat understands that he did something wrong and there are consequences. But a 4 year old?

Well:

The “whooping” – as Peterson put it when interviewed by police – occurred in Spring, Texas, in May. Peterson’s son had pushed another one of Peterson’s children off of a motorbike video game. As punishment, Peterson grabbed a tree branch – which he consistently referred to as a “switch” – removed the leaves and struck the child repeatedly.

http://houston.cbslocal.com/2014/09/12/exclusive-details-on-adrian-peterson-indictment-charges/

OK folks, this is blowing up: 4 year old boy.

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2014/09/12/adrian-peterson-indicted-for-child-abuse/

".....Sports Radio 610 in Houston obtained a draft of the police report which says Peterson admitted that he did, in his words, “whoop” one of his children last May while the boy was visiting him in Houston.

When the 4-year-old boy returned to Minnesota, his mother took him to a doctor. The police report said the boy told the doctor Peterson had hit him with a branch from a tree....."

Gonna complain about "dislikes" or "disagrees" now?

Without immediately responding to the core of your post, I'm going to say that you pretty much confirmed what I suspected anyway -- this is a case of disagreement about punishment. Peterson thought the corporal punishment was OK; the child's mother disagreed.

Without immediately responding to the core of your post, I'm going to say that you pretty much confirmed what I suspected anyway -- this is a case of disagreement about punishment. Peterson thought the corporal punishment was OK; the child's mother disagreed.

Does this look like garden variety corporal punishment to you?:

0912-adrian-peterson-son-injuries-7.jpg

That's child abuse, plain and simple.

It is 2014. Not the 1980s. I am sure all our parents disciplined us back in the day that was acceptable then that isn't today. I hoped we have evolved as a society that disciplining a child by hitting him with an object is considered unacceptable and illegal.

In no way were my parents physically abusive.

However, I feel they were emotionally abusive, and the quickness with which they resorted to threats of physical force (rarely carried out since I was suitably intimidated) was a part of that.

I'm inclined to agree with your assessment. But you didn't contradict what I said.

On an 11 year old.. probably.

On a 4 year old.. absolutely.

Now count each "stripe" and realize how many times this child was struck. Yes, thats abuse.

Jeff Howe @jeffphowe
Adrian Peterson will not play against the Patriots, the Vikings announced.

This whole thing is awful. No one should be glad over something like this.

This is pretty lucky for us.

Honestly, I'd rather face a team at full strength. It is what it is, though.

Peterson has been deactivated for Sunday's game.

Anyone who says they were abused as a kid so they don't see what's wrong with it now makes me really wonder if they were abused. As someone who was well and truly beat as a kid I can't ever imagine inflicting that on my own. This whole thing makes me sick and really has me questioning whether I'll be watching anymore NFL anytime soon.

Hey, guys, just popping in to see if we have any mouthbreathers here who are defending this. And of course we do.

Last edited:
In no way were my parents physically abusive.

However, I feel they were emotionally abusive, and the quickness with which they resorted to threats of physical force (rarely carried out since I was suitably intimidated) was a part of that.

I got the belt once when I got caught shoplifting at age 10, but it was one or two hits over my clothes and not at full strength. My father still feels guilty about it to this day.

When I first heard it I thought it's a parents right to discipline their child (within reason). My Dad would spank us. My wife's mom used the tree branch. My best buddy got the tree branch (and his Dad made him go pick the branch!) But in those cases it was 1 or 2 hits across the ass and it wasn't at full power. Just enough to leave a little red mark for 10 minutes, but definitely made you think twice before doing the same bad thing again.

From those pictures though Peterson went way over the line. It looks like he hit multiple times at full power. That's abuse, not discipline. I have a 4 year old and would never do anything like that. He should be suspended.

Those aren't marks from hitting at full power. There isn't sign of much bruising, and the pictures presumably were taken after the kid returned from his trip, so there was plenty of time for the bruises to occur.

Those are marks, however, from something that's much too harsh, given what we already know (even though it isn't much) about the context.

I'm hesitant to throw myself in someone else's home over a media story.

I'm not defending him or incriminating him yet. I just think passing judgement on a family or a home from a snap shot and media story could potentially be dangerous ground....

Haven't read the full article.

DOn't have a link, but this was just reported on NFLN. He has been deactivated.

I got the belt once when I got caught shoplifting at age 10, but it was one or two hits over my clothes and not at full strength. My father still feels guilty about it to this day.

I got more than that, but not dramatically more. My parents didn't feel guilty to my knowledge. But I do know they were careful in how they thought about corporal punishment.

In general, I'm not angry at anything my parents did that they thought carefully about, even if I think they got it wrong; parenting is HARD.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back