PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Vikings RB Adrian Peterson indicted for child abuse; deactivated for Pats game at Minnesota

I want to know what the NFL did to make TMZ so angry! The timing of this is obviously coincidental, but they've done more damage to the NFL's reputation in the past 8 days since... ever?

wow...minny shut down their football forum:

Shut down
Vikings Message Board has been shut down permanently. It will not return. There are two primary reasons.
1. The Vikings cowardly decision to reinstate a child abuser and think that an apology will make this blow over. We will not stand for this arrogance and we will no longer be the home of any support of the Vikings. We stand for those who cannot defend themselves.
2. We will not give a voice to thugs who think child abuse is "cultural" or worse, openly advocate child abuse as a reasonable method of punishment. This ends here. Yes, a few board members have ruined it for everyone. Congratulations, assholes.

@BradyFTW!, not that I am a particular supporter of @PATS16N0 on this subject but nothing he's put forward to you in your snipped post seems unreasonable. Myself, I have reservations and suspicions but I prefer not to jump to conclusions either. Does that mean I am in the same boat as people who aren't apologists? I would hope far from it as I would like to see Peterson incarcerated if proven to be true.

What conclusions are you reserving judgment before jumping to? If any of the alleged facts at hand were in dispute, I'd be right there with you, but they aren't. AP confirmed that he did exactly what the pictures showed; he's just claiming that he did it for the right reasons, which does matter, but isn't relevant to discussing whether or not the kid was abused.

Right, right. The photos, the texts, the police report, and the admission shouldn't be enough.

Read the link I just posted, and then start explaining that one away, too. Christ, some of you make me sick.
Feel free to pop me on ignore. Apparently you're incapable of looking at an issue without bias. Further to the point, you appear to be ignoring the fact that most of us who aren't getting ahead of the situation have said we would like to see severe punishment brought upon Adrian Peterson, if all the allegations are proven to be true.

It is my simple preference that outside of my suspicions, I prefer the process to play itself out before I grab my pitchfork.

So what the the Vikes do now? With these new allegations are they going to induct Peterson in to their Ring of Honor this weekend?

All the facts to present themselves. We know Peterson has admitted to disciplining his child and there appears to be a pattern of behavior but I'd like to see the extent of it rather than simply relying on photos on the internet.

Moving past all that, if it comes out that Peterson has a a behavioral issue then he should be suspended indefinitely by the NFL, possibly released by the Vikings and forced to see the inside of a cell for some time. Right now, I would simply prefer to know more rather than relying on board speculation, he says she says and sensationalism. That's all.

Before the photos came out, I agreed with you. But given that we have the photographs that show the extent to which he 'disciplined' his child, I don't see what other facts we need to be waiting on. There's nothing that a four year old could have done to warrant anything close to that level of physical abuse.

So what the the Vikes do now? With these new allegations are they going to induct Peterson in to their Ring of Honor this weekend?

No the GM will say he gets a new contract based on the "facts" they received

What conclusions are you reserving judgment before jumping to? If any of the alleged facts at hand were in dispute, I'd be right there with you, but they aren't. AP confirmed that he did exactly what the pictures showed; he's just claiming that he did it for the right reasons, which does matter, but isn't relevant to discussing whether or not the kid was abused.
BradyFTW!, I agree with you that on face value it certainly looks like child abuse and the behavioral patterns tend to suggest that it may be but I simply prefer to let the process play itself out through the courts/systems before I string up Adrian Peterson. Outside of that, if he's found guilty, I want him prosecuted to the full extent of the law and his NFL privileges revoked.

Before the photos came out, I agreed with you. But given that we have the photographs that show the extent to which he 'disciplined' his child, I don't see what other facts we need to be waiting on. There's nothing that a four year old could have done to warrant anything close to that level of physical abuse.
No, right now they are just photos of an alleged case of child abuse with the attached explanation that it was child discipline.

I realize I'm taking an unpopular opinion here. Perhaps it's just how jaded I am with media. After all, 5 months ago John McCain was posing for photographs with ISIS, and all of television was demanding we arm them against the Syrian government, and Obama was the great appeaser for not giving them stinger missiles and attack helicopters, and now they're suddenly the greatest threat America has ever seen, and we should be engaged militarily against them at once.

I'm hesitant to believe a single narrative that ever comes from the news, whether it be political news, sports news, or whatever.

I'm also not one to come running to the defense of celebrities when they come out with their often carefully crafted public statements.

That said, I think Adrian Peterson is telling the truth when he says he didn't intend to mark up his son that bad and hurt him to that degree. I do not think, as of now, that this is a situation anywhere remotely close to the level of child abuse that goes on elsewhere and everywhere. This isn't torture and this isn't (or doesn't seem to be) a case of sadism, which IS the case in bad child abuse scenarios.

So the question becomes: Is this something Adrian Peterson should be thrown out of the league for?

Or is this something the legal system should handle by itself before the NFL deals out its own justice?

I realize the kid is 4 years old, so I'm not trying to draw apple and orange comparisons here, but if your rebellious teenage son calls his mother a "dumb *****" one day, and you grab him and throw him against a wall, and during that process he slams his hip against a table kind of awkwardly, and leaves a really bad bruise, should you lose YOUR job? Should CNN, MSNBC, FoxNews, ESPN, NFL Network and every poster on this forum come into your home to pass judgement?

Or should the court system determine what exactly it's dealing with first?

This is really not a Ray Rice situation or an Aaron Hernandez situation. This really is it's own.

Well, now there's an allegation he beat a /different/ 4 year old son with a different woman, hard enough that she filed a report with Child Protective Services.

Feel free to pop me on ignore. Apparently you're incapable of looking at an issue without bias. Further to the point, you appear to be ignoring the fact that most of us who aren't getting ahead of the situation have said we would like to see severe punishment brought upon Adrian Peterson, if all the allegations are proven to be true.

It is my simple preference that outside of my suspicions, I prefer the process to play itself out before I grab my pitchfork.

Let me ask you this: What additional evidence do you need? Video? Another admission, this time with auto-tune or in skywriting? WHAT ELSE IS THERE?

I'll tell you what I told that other *******. I pray that you're never the only person in a position to help an abused child, because that kid is screwed.

I guess that's where we disagree, because the wounds that were depicted in that photo make it a clear case of child abuse in my book.
That's a fair position but in my experience, photos can be an interesting reference point. I'm sure someone skilled in the art of photography can make light of it further.

Given all the commentary, my personal standpoint is I think Peterson is probably guilty of child abuse and the pattern of behavior is concerning it's more I'd prefer to let the process play itself out before my disdain for child abusers takes hold. It's a pretty serious claim, perhaps one of the worst in my opinion. It's not something I take lightly.

Alright, so let's just rid ourselves of this troublesome and time consuming process of court and instead make judgement calls that will affect other people based entirely on a photograph.

Because a photograph tells you everything you need to know about a human life and a family.
Maybe, based entirely on a photograph, we should have Adrian Peterson killed, and then have his son put in foster care, handed over to a fate unknown, before you wash your hands of the matter completely and retire to your dinner parties, at which you will tell everyone how big of a champion you are against "child abuse," because you took the time to voice an unwavering conclusion on what is essentially social media.

*golf clap*

Kind of a f**king huge gulf between being deactivated and being killed, don't you think?

What's your position now that a second, almost identical accusation has surfaced?

Let me ask you this: What additional evidence do you need? Video? Another admission, this time with auto-tune or in skywriting? WHAT ELSE IS THERE?

I'll tell you what I told that other *******. I pray that you're never the only person in a position to help an abused child, because that kid is screwed.
I don't take kindly to words as such so go **** yourself @Fixit.

Does anyone remember the Duke University rape case?
A bunch of students had their lives and reputations completely destroyed by a media that lead a nation against them as racist gang rapists. Their lives were absolutely ruined, and everyone, "who the rule of law doesn't apply to because they're the public arena," wanted to bury them for their crimes.

In the end, it turned out the woman accusing them of rape had made the entire story up.

The students were ruined. Their reputations were in tatters.

But the great, just, all knowing masses who convicted them utterly in the court of public opinion, simply got to say "oops" and continue on with their lives.

There's a lesson to be learned there, but apparently anyone who learned it is `unfit to have children` and the scum of the Earth.

That's a fair position but in my experience, photos can be an interesting reference point. I'm sure someone skilled in the art of photography can make light of it further.

Given all the commentary, my person standpoint is I think Peterson is probably guilty of child abuse and the pattern of behavior is concerning it's more I'd prefer to let the process play itself out before my disdain for child abusers takes hold. It's a pretty serious claim, perhaps one of the worst in my opinion. It's not something I take lightly.

That's fair, I actually don't have a problem with that. It sounds like we see the evidence in similar ways, but you need to see more before you make a firm stand on it, yeah?

What I do have a problem with is people claiming that beating your children to the extent that the photos show can be justified and/or explained away by being a forgivable lapse in judgment, a mere cultural difference, or a safeguard against raising effeminate children.

Some details on new accusations:
The Houston TV station reported the mother of the 4-year-old -- from a different mother than the child he stands charged with abusing -- filed a report with Child Protective Services but no charges have been filed.

The text exchange was as follows, according to KHOU-TV:
Mother: "What happened to his head?"
Peterson: "Hit his head on the Carseat."
Mother: "How does that happen, he got a whoopin in the car."
Peterson: "Yep."
Mother: "Why?"
Peterson: "I felt so bad. But he did it his self."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...-child-abuse-accusation?ex_cid=sportscenterTW

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back