PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Vanderjagt officially signs with Dallas

Status
Not open for further replies.
One things for certain with the kickers the Cowboys have had lately I think he is an improvement.

BelichickFan said:
No they won't. Average to above average kickers who can kick in the clutch are a dime a dozen and can be found from many sources. I'd take an average kicker at $500K over Vinatieri at $3.5M.

Excellent point.

Let's say we get a below average kicker who hits on 64% of his FGs. AV last year hit on 20 of 25, so this guy would be hitting on 16 of 25.

Folks, that's 12 points a season. That works out to .75 points a game. And that's assuming we get a STIFF for a kicker!

If we can use that $3 million saved on a WR who can score 2 TDs a season more than Givens or a younger more productive FB around the goal line who can convert 3 more redzone TD's instead of settling for FG's than we had last season, then that will be worth it.

There are several more examples I could use.

The core of my point here is - "Buy the steak, not the sizzle". Too many of those turning purple of AV's leaving are acting like teenyboppers when Elvis Presley got drafted.

Last edited:
BelichickFan said:
I was under the impression it was a $3.5M SB in addition to $2.5M salary a year on average. Prorating the SB to about $1M a year, that equals about $3.5M a year. We won't know until the actual numbers come out I guess.

Average to above average kickers who can kick in the clutch are a dime a dozen and can be found from many sources. I'd take an average kicker at $500K over Vinatieri at $3.5M.

You're a funny guy for a know it all wannabe. :rofl:

Signing bonus is always included in the total value. Always. AAV is just the total divided by the years. Actual earnings vary because salary can be structured almost any way the parties agree to, and can be restructured pretty much at will as well.

The signing bonus in Adams deal will be prorated at $700K per year if it's a 5 year deal. The remaining salary portion of the deal ($6.5M+ or so depending on the actual total value Irsay says is "around $10M over 5 years") can pretty much be divided any way the Colts and Adam have agree to, and or course that can be reworked any time they like to suit their cap projections. The deal can easily result in a cap hit this season of around $1.5M, although Adam will pocket $4M under that particular structure.

In the deal the Patriots reportedly offered Adam his cap hit would have been substantially more ($2M+) and his take home substantially (as in $2M) less.

The average salary for the average starting kicker in the NFL in 2005 was $1.2M. Oh crap... that means $1.5M is likely going to be the average salary of that average starting kicker in the NFL in 2006. Of course we can always just go well below average. Yeah, that's the deal. It's not like we need to win a lot of games close and late. :D

shmessy said:
Excellent point.

Let's say we get a below average kicker who hits on 64% of his FGs. AV last year hit on 20 of 25, so this guy would be hitting on 16 of 25.

Folks, that's 12 points a season. That works out to .75 points a game. And that's assuming we get a STIFF for a kicker!

If we can use that $3 million saved on a WR who can score 2 TDs a season more than Givens or a younger more productive FB around the goal line who can convert 3 more redzone TD's instead of settling for FG's than we had last season, then that will be worth it.

There are several more examples I could use.

The core of my point here is - "Buy the steak, not the sizzle". Too many of those turning purple of AV's leaving are acting like teenyboppers when Elvis Presley got drafted.

Spare me any more examples like this....

You can't divide a kickers FG points by 16 to any logical end, just by 3. The difference is then is 4 fewer FG's made - any one of whom could have been the game winner in the game that got you into the playoffs or got you HFA or got you the bye or got you to the AFCC or got you to the superbowl or won you the superbowl.

On a one year deal the stiff kicker will save you maybe $500-750K on the Colts kickers cap # this year. And it may also cost you a trip to the playoffs. Just ask Dallas - 3 games lost by the margin of a missed FG is why they just paid $2M a year for Vanderjerk.

MoLewisrocks said:
You're a funny guy for a know it all wannabe.
Sorry I can't live up to your standards.

MoLewisrocks said:
Just ask Dallas - 3 games lost by the margin of a missed FG is why they just paid $2M a year for Vanderjerk.
Or your highly paid kicker could miss a critical kick in Denver in the playoffs.

:bricks:

MoLewisrocks said:
Spare me any more examples like this....

You can't divide a kickers FG points by 16 to any logical end, just by 3. The difference is then is 4 fewer FG's made - any one of whom could have been the game winner in the game that got you into the playoffs or got you HFA or got you the bye or got you to the AFCC or got you to the superbowl or won you the superbowl.

On a one year deal the stiff kicker will save you maybe $500-750K on the Colts kickers cap # this year. And it may also cost you a trip to the playoffs. Just ask Dallas - 3 games lost by the margin of a missed FG is why they just paid $2M a year for Vanderjerk.

Perhaps if Dallas didn't have the worst under-pressure QB in today's NFL (Mr. First Quarter), perhaps they wouldn't have needed those clutch FG's.

By the way, I am more than satisfied that the Patriots had AV during his prime. Let the Colts have our sloppy seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back