PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Value of a draft pick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Long-time reader, first-time poster. There's been a lot of talk this offseason and last about transactions and potential transactions involving draft picks and whether those transactions are worth the price. Examples are Wes Welker (was he worth a second rounder?) and Deion Branch, as well as rumored trades involving Randy Moss and Lance Briggs.

The question that I wanted to hear your thoughts on (since many of the posters here are very knowledgeable about football) is how much is a draft pick really worth? In this era of the salary cap, the units of currency might best be considered dollars against the cap.

I would propose one measure of the value of a draft pick: the difference between what the team would have to pay the player if he (and he alone among the draft class) were allowed to shop himself as an unrestricted free agent and what they actually pay him. For example, to figure out the value of the Maroney pick last year, guess how much Maroney would have received as a UFA (perhaps $20M over 5 years?) and subtract the amount he actually received (around $10M over 5 years), and the value of the pick works out to very roughly $10M over the 5 years.

That makes for some interesting analysis. For example, the combined value of the contract and draft pick the Seahawks payed for Branch may be around $50M over 6 years (what were they thinking?). Also, one could argue (as some have including Bob Kraft) that draft picks at the end of the first round are more valuable than those at the beginning of the first round. The reason for this could be that the teams feel so much pressure to sign an early first-round draft pick that they cannot take advantage of the exclusivity they have to press the player for a below-UFA deal.

Any thoughts?

I think this should be in the draft forum.

BTW welcome aboard.

I think this should be in the draft forum.

BTW welcome aboard.

Nah, it's more about Branch and Maroney than anything. But I do look at every post I move (or decide not to), and I decided this fits better where it is now.

Anyway, back on subject, I think if you can get a good economical pick - which the Pats have 2 of this year - you're in good shape. Rookie contracts outside of the top 10 don't appear to be ballooning as much as free agent contracts. Of course, now with the Watson rule, you can only have 4 years of the guy.

Long-time reader, first-time poster. There's been a lot of talk this offseason and last about transactions and potential transactions involving draft picks and whether those transactions are worth the price. Examples are Wes Welker (was he worth a second rounder?) and Deion Branch, as well as rumored trades involving Randy Moss and Lance Briggs.

The question that I wanted to hear your thoughts on (since many of the posters here are very knowledgeable about football) is how much is a draft pick really worth? In this era of the salary cap, the units of currency might best be considered dollars against the cap.

I would propose one measure of the value of a draft pick: the difference between what the team would have to pay the player if he (and he alone among the draft class) were allowed to shop himself as an unrestricted free agent and what they actually pay him. For example, to figure out the value of the Maroney pick last year, guess how much Maroney would have received as a UFA (perhaps $20M over 5 years?) and subtract the amount he actually received (around $10M over 5 years), and the value of the pick works out to very roughly $10M over the 5 years.

That makes for some interesting analysis. For example, the combined value of the contract and draft pick the Seahawks payed for Branch may be around $50M over 6 years (what were they thinking?). Also, one could argue (as some have including Bob Kraft) that draft picks at the end of the first round are more valuable than those at the beginning of the first round. The reason for this could be that the teams feel so much pressure to sign an early first-round draft pick that they cannot take advantage of the exclusivity they have to press the player for a below-UFA deal.

Any thoughts?

What's a draft pick?:confused:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call