PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

USC LBs Pro Day video

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting. Sounds like Mayock likes Mathews the best out of the 3.

NFL Video Galleries

Thanks Bucky, all three looked great and could contribute in year 1. Not positive about any of them at 23 but all would be steals at 34.

Matthews
Positives - very fluid, good initial burst
Negatives - appears a little thin, may not hold up against the run
Patriot Fit - ideal 3rd down OLB, can coverage a TE or rush the passer, over time he could grow into a 3 down role, ala Rosie Colvin

Cushing
Positives - versatile, can play outside or inside
Negatives - appears a little stiff
Patriot fit - start him inside, move him around to maximize production

Maualuga
Positives - physical player, big body, causes collisions
Negatives - a little stiff but based on the drills in the video he is at least as fluid as Cushing, talk of him free lancing
Patriot fit - ILB. Dispite all the haters I think he is made for the position. Could have a Mayo like impact.

could Matthews be a safety????hmmmmmmmm

My instinct tells me to stay away from all 3. Can't quite put my finger on the exact reason.

If I had to take one of them, I'd take Cushing. Mathews seems like a boom or bust prospect. I'm also skeptical about a guy who's put on 70 lbs in 5 years being able to hold up physically as an NFL LB. Maualuga has some serious questions about his intelligence, discipline, and ability to play on 3rd down.

I would be leery of any one of them........

matthews may be mobile, but he has next to zero experience in coverage......he just as much an empty shell in that regard as barwin.....at least barwin has an understanding of running pass routes which will help in coverage

I like Clay Matthews at #34 maybe even ahead of yes Connor! :eek:

He looks very fluid. I could see him taking over Bruschi's role.

I think that Clay Matthews is going to be an awesome football player if he goes to the right system in the NFL - he's got pretty much all the intangibles you could want, and he's just unbelievably fast (especially his 10 yard split) but with that said as others have noted I just don't know if the Pats defense is the right spot for him. If BB thinks that he can bulk up then maybe we could take him at 34 and have Woicik throw everything he has at him, but He's a little small for a pats OLB, and all he really did was rush the passer, which is not what the ILBs in the pats system are usually asked to do.

With that said, if BB picks him, then that means he feels like Matthews can fit into the D, and I'll be really excited

Matthews has a very good upside.He is smart, loves football, very coachable, and a team first guy. I see all this talk about the kid adding pounds over the past 5 years as if that's a red flag. I look at it as someone who was late growing into his body. He was way too thin for his height entering college. Some have inplied roids (strickly unfounded rumors) but I don't think so.

And we do have some evidence of his genes with his father and uncle being big men. So to me his is a legit target at #23. And I look at him as a Tedy replacement more than an OLB. Put him in a rotation for a year of Tedy, Guyton, and Mayo and I look at that position as solid.

But he may prove to be a guy who is more natural at OLB but could play ILB if neeeded.

There are several players that we can take at OLB, depending on how the draft falls. And we can move up a couple of places to take Barwin, English, or Sintim if we need to. Kruger should be there in the mid to late 2nd round.

Last edited:
Matthews has a very good upside.He is smart, loves football, very coachable, and a team first guy. I see all this talk about the kid adding pounds over the past 5 years as if that's a red flag. I look at it as someone who was late growing into his body. He was way too thin for his height entering college. Some have inplied roids (strickly unfounded rumors) but I don't think so.

And we do have some evidence of his genes with his father and uncle being big men. So to me his is a legit target at #23. And I look at him as a Tedy replacement more than an OLB. Put him in a rotation for a year of Tedy, Guyton, and Mayo and I look at that position as solid.

But he may prove to be a guy who is more natural at OLB but could play ILB if neeeded.

There are several players that we can take at OLB, depending on how the draft falls. And we can move up a couple of places to take Barwin, English, or Sintim if we need to. Kruger should be there in the mid to late 2nd round.
But was his maternal grandfather a big man, or a feisty Welker type? Was the weight gain steady and gradual or did he just suddenly pack it on?

Ridiculous. To take Bruchi's place he needs to blitz and cover the pass and call signals. He has no INTs, little blitz experience, doesn't shed well, and ZERO Experience. So draft him where you draft developmental players, ie 3rd to 7th round.

Or take him in the first like Bobby Grier would have. For athletic ability Vince Redd is comparable. And he went UDFA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft