PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Update on Patriots TE Aaron Hernandez' Injury

Status
Not open for further replies.
BB will IR a chest cold. I hope he is patient and lets him heal completely so he can be back by the playoffs

If it takes 6 weeks to heal fully, I'd rather he did that than try to rush his return to the field and be 60% after 3 or 4 weeks.

The team has had bigger losses and done well in the aftermath.

Ballard is on PUP but from what I have read it is highly unlikely that he will be available to play this year.

Shiancoe is on the in-season IR and won't be available for another month.

That leaves Gronk, Fells, and Hoomanawanui at the moment.

Silvestro could be re-signed if necessary.

Thanks for the info jmt.
So 6 weeks puts us at the Rams game. Then there is a bye and then a game against Buffalo would be the 8 week mark. I wouldn't mind him coming back for the Buffalo game that should be more than enough.

6 weeks sounds about right...not season ending peeps..

At the time that the injury happened, I would have taken six weeks without hesitation, as I feared that it could be worse. Even now, I'm hoping that it's "just" six weeks. Again, though, I wish we had the in-season IR spot available for Hernandez. Still boggles the mind that Belichick didn't seem to consider the likelihood that someone a whole lot more important than Shiancoe would inevitably go down with a 6-8 week injury at some point.

Last edited:
I hate to be Debbie Downer, but look at Gronk. He is clearly not the same as pre-injury and we're 7 months post-injury. Judging by the fact that AH could not put any weight at all on the ankle, this could be at least as severe as Gronk's, which required surgery. Unfortunately, we can't really count on Hernandez returning to his dynamic self this year.

Thanks for the info jmt.
So 6 weeks puts us at the Rams game. Then there is a bye and then a game against Buffalo would be the 8 week mark. I wouldn't mind him coming back for the Buffalo game that should be more than enough.

Agreed. If he is projected for The Rams game then I'd rather him just wait until after the Bye.

I hate to be Debbie Downer, but look at Gronk. He is clearly not the same as pre-injury and we're 7 months post-injury.

He was running fine and cutting perfect yesterday...so :confused:

I hate to be Debbie Downer, but look at Gronk. He is clearly not the same as pre-injury and we're 7 months post-injury. Judging by the fact that AH could not put any weight at all on the ankle, this could be at least as severe as Gronk's, which required surgery. Unfortunately, we can't really count on Hernandez returning to his dynamic self this year.

I don't think you can say that Gronk isn't the same. We've barely been able to see him since he's been sending so much time blocking on the line.

Did you miss Gronk going down the seam, beating the safety, and being wide open to lay out for a deep pass downfield yesterday? Gronk is playing at 100%, pretty clearly.

Re: Report: Hernandez out up to 6 Weeks

going to suck without him...hopefully it's only 6 weeks. He still has to have a MRI tomorrow. I think we can beat Den without him especially at home. I have them losing next week regardless of if he was playing or not.

BTW how hurt is wilfork? I was at the game today and he got hurt early in the 4th..was limping bad but came back in the game i believe

He was back in to recover the fumble, so I assume that it wasn't too bad.

It all depends on how our offense is doing. If our offense is really struggling and missing him, get him back as soon as possible. But if we can manage good offensive play or have one of our backup TEs perform well in his absence, give him until after the bye week.

It all depends on how our offense is doing. If our offense is really struggling and missing him, get him back as soon as possible. But if we can manage good offensive play or have one of our backup TEs perform well in his absence, give him until after the bye week.

I don't think this would be wise. Let him heal fully, no matter how long it takes. hernandez will be around for the next 10 years, and then when he's 31 the pats can become petty. :rolleyes:

"As early as October" would mean that he'll miss 2 games, since we play on 9/23 and 9/30.

I'm highly doubting that'd be the case and would think that common sense would tell us that a month or so seems very realistic.

If we had him back for the week 7 game vs the NYJ I'd be happy.

i think he could be back by then. Does anyone else get real nervous when he is making all of his cuts after the catch. He makes some vicious cuts out there to avoid tackles.

Last edited:
i think he could be back by then. Does anyone else get real nervous when he is making all of his cuts after the catch. He makes some vicious cuts out there to avoid tackles.

I get nervous when he runs out of the backfield.

I hope this latest rumor/news is accurate, much better than I imagined after seeing him being helped to the locker room.

One man's few is another man's several. No way the team is going to want opponents to know what the situation is. And the source did say October "at the earliest". I'd bet on that. Gronk's situation was a little different. You can wrap it up and shoot it up and clean it up later if it happens as late as his did. Heck, he was back on the field same game. Probably not terribly smart considering how business is sometimes done here. And he hasn't looked quite the same, not as sudden or quite as fast since. May just be knocking rust and some of his off season extra curricular activities off or may be ankle just isn't quite the same. In Hernendez case his speed and agility is a tad more significant to his performance, and he didn't fare as well when coming off a prior hip injury. May need to be 100% as opposed to 85-95% to be as effective as they need him to be.

I just recall that was the prognosis on Ty Law back in the day and after several weeks they realized it wasn't healing and at that point they re-evaluated and according to Law he had been initially mis diagnosed and the injury wasn't going to heel on it's own (well enough to perform as an elite athlete has to) and he went on IR and needed surgery that he had in December. He was still in a wheeled vehicle when he departed here prior to the FA period in March.

And I'm not trying to be negative, just realistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes