Status
Not open for further replies.

jczxohn1

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
1st Round

69 sites
CB,LB,and RB still seen as the major areas of need. Biggest increase in RB, 15 additional mocks have the Pats picking RB in 1st rd., 12 of those going for D'Angelo Williams (up from 2).LenDale White also posted big gain from 1 mock to 8.Maroney dropped 2 from 7 to 5.
LB projections remain strong, dropping from 27 mocks to 23. Of the big 3, Lawson, Carpenter and Greenway, Lawson gained from 5 mocks to 7, Carpenter fell from 7 to 5, Greenway from 5 to 3. 2or less-Wimbley, Kiwi, D. Jackson, Ryans (dropped from 5 to 2), and Hodge.
Moderate interest in CB dropped from 13 first rd mocks to 11. Youboty the only gainer, from 2 to 4, Hill dropped from 7 to 4, Cromartie out, J. Williams (VT) and J,Joseph 2 and 1 respectively.
6 1st rd picks at WR-Holmes of FlaSt had 3, Moss 2, CJackson 1.
SS -Whitner of Ohio St had 2

2nd Round

Nothing solid here. On 3/7 24 sites had picks, this time I only found 18.
Of the 16 players mentioned on 3/7, only R. Marshall held his ground, dropping from 6 picks to 5. Only 4 players were picked on 4/3 that had been on 3/7, making 9 new picks not mentioned before. Of the 18, CB seems the strongest position with 8 mocks selecting, 4 picks were for a RB, the rest scattered.

3 rd round

A few sites have posted 3rd rd. picks. For the #75 and #86 picks, 19 picks were made. By position, WR had 10, LB-5, RB-2, CB, DE, and S had 1 ea.

My analysis: LB seems to be a consistent perceived need with the choice solidifying around Lawson. It's an obvious need and none were mentioned in the 2nd rd. Curious none were as many sites jumped on the DeAngelo Williams bandwagon due to FA RB signings by teams with lower picks than us. If we took DW, what about a LB in rd 2?
The number of new faces in the 2nd rd was a surprise, maybe something to do with Combine or Pro Day results.

This is the first yr I've gotten involved in the draft, and I don't know enough about the various mocks to rank their reliability, but I thought just tabulating the sheer numbers would be of some value.

Last edited:
I find they give me names to research, most have no clue, but they're good to kill time! :D

What a tremendous amount of tabulation this entails!

For some weeks i - another novice - have been musing over the possible value
of a "meta-mock" - a compilation of all the real mocks (if real mock isn't excessively oxymoronic.)

BIG piece of work ... which this approaches in spirit.
I really don't understand the point of doing what i was musing on ... but i realize
that it is a big job. So is this.

Here is what is behind a kind of instinct that the "meta-mock" approach could be fruitful.
In the summer of '04 i began compiling a database of published polls for the presidential election.
Especially, state polls. State by state.
Devised a weighting system. Then weighted by electoral college. Then weighted for timeliness.
By the end of October, i had a "meta-poll" reflecting hundreds of thousands of respondents.
The statistical reliability appeared much higher than any single published, national poll.

By mid-September ... six weeks before the election ... the meta-poll stabilized ... identified the key, swing states exactly ... predicted the electoral college almost perfectly ... and came within a few tenths of 1% of the nationwide popular vote.

That made me a believer in meta-studies.
Kind of like those enormous medical studies ... which study no patients at all
... but only compile all the other studies that have been done on a topic of interest.

Box_O_Rocks said:
I find they give me names to research, most have no clue, but they're good to kill time! :D
Here's some 2nd and 3rd rd picks I haven't noticed before:
WR Aromashodu/Auburn
WR Jennings/ W Mich
RB Harenson (sp?)/ Wash St
S Pollard /Perdue
WR B. Williams/Wisc.
S Addae/W Va
CB J.Allen/ Ten

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back