PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Player Signing UDFA Malik Cunningham -- poor man's Lamar Jackson?

Kasmir

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
This kid was enormously productive at Louisville as Lamar Jackson's successor. Had a great 2021 but a down 2022 so he slipped to become a UDFA. The Pats signed him to a record breaking UDFA contract, I assume as a QB.

Because of his unique dual-threat skill set, he has a real shot to make the team as QB3 and might even see game day action.

Very exciting to watch how he does!

I assume he is slotted at QB with the money they guaranteed. Also that has been his preference although I believe he has stated he might be flexible. Don't know a lot about him. I'm no scout, just a fan with nearly 70 years of watching the game. I viewed several of his highlights on youtube. He is clearly a fast, shifty, instinctive runner. He has a quick release, seems to have as much arm strength as Mac and Bailey. Seemed to know where to go with the ball, although that's not something you can evaluate on a highlight reel. Ball placement was good. Seemed to use a lot of shoulder in his throw but generally mechanics didn't seem bad, maybe use the plant foot a little better.

End result, looks like somebody to take a year and look considering the athletic potential. He presents an opportunity for a mobile Quarterback.

Talks nonsense about Lamar Jackson for months. Has no clue about him as a passr or that there's no difference in injury rates between "duel threats & pocket passers."

Hey guys we might have a poor man's Lamar Jackson!

If Cunningham is a poor man's Lamar Jackson, Mac might be holding a clipboard. Have to be real clear bc people lack comprehensive reading skills. I'm not saying he'll beat out Mac but if he hits his peak and is a "poor man's Jackson" we'll have a QB controversy for sure.

Talks nonsense about Lamar Jackson for months. Has no clue about him as a passr or that there's no difference in injury rates between "duel threats & pocket passers."

If Cunningham is a poor man's Lamar Jackson, Mac might be holding a clipboard. Have to be real clear bc people lack comprehensive reading skills. I'm not saying he'll beat out Mac but if he hits his peak and is a "poor man's Jackson" we'll have a QB controversy for sure.
Your reading comprehension is abysmal. You have no clue what I said about injuries. You also completely ignored that I said I think an NFL team can win with a commitment to a dual threat QB approach and I would have been excited if we had landed Lamar Jackson. No effing point in talking to a brick wall.

This kid was enormously productive at Louisville as Lamar Jackson's successor. Had a great 2021 but a down 2022 so he slipped to become a UDFA. The Pats signed him to a record breaking UDFA contract, I assume as a QB.

Because of his unique dual-threat skill set, he has a real shot to make the team as QB3 and might even see game day action.

Very exciting to watch how he does!

Holy ****.. that camera guy needs to be fired.

and Zappe might be on another team, or inactive, unless the league enacts the 3rd QB rule.

I came in to say let's pump the brakes, but @BaconGrundleCandy has that handled. An aside, it would have been nice to see a video from Louisville and not his HS film.

I have a hard time seeing him playing QB for us. Maybe they give him a look and he surprises, but he had issues with his mechanics which led to accuracy issues. Not sure how you give him the time when you have two other young QB’s on the roster being developed. He definitely has the skill set to be a playmaker. Wouldn’t be surprised if they gave him every shot they could to contribute in some way on the field. Maybe he takes it upon himself to meet up with House, Palmer or another passing coach to improve upon the issues folks are concerned about? Either way, seems to be a high character guy who just wants to play ball. It’s never a waste of time to try and develop those guys.

FWIW, Walter Football had him as a 3rd round pick in one of their mock drafts. Not saying much.

I have a hard time seeing him playing QB for us. Maybe they give him a look and he surprises, but he had issues with his mechanics which led to accuracy issues. Not sure how you give him the time when you have two other young QB’s on the roster being developed. He definitely has the skill set to be a playmaker. Wouldn’t be surprised if they gave him every shot they could to contribute in some way on the field. Maybe he takes it upon himself to meet up with House, Palmer or another passing coach to improve upon the issues folks are concerned about? Either way, seems to be a high character guy who just wants to play ball. It’s never a waste of time to try and develop those guys.
Injuries can change the situation real fast.

Injuries can change the situation real fast.
Yup. Another defense oriented team failed when their #3 QB was injured. I'd say that, for now, is the equivalent of that 3rd down QB..

The closest thing to a poor man's LJ is Justin Fields. But an UDFA?... my god. This is unbelievable. BB passed on Lamar twice in the 1st round of the 2018 draft but still comes out roses because he signed Lamar's "clone" as an UDFA 5 years later. Brilliant!

The closest thing to a poor man's LJ is Justin Fields. But an UDFA?... my god. This is unbelievable. BB passed on Lamar twice in the 1st round of the 2018 draft but still comes out roses because he signed Lamar's "clone" as an UDFA 5 years later. Brilliant!
crying-baby-girl-stock-photo_csp39245848.jpg

Noticed he got up to 20.99mph during the Senior Bowl, and I had to see what the circumstances were, as only 4 people were faster all week. Guessing it happened during his pick 6, and he had to run a little more than 30yds to try to intercept the guy (Anthony Johnson) before the EZ. Granted that speed was not as a ball carrier, but that's pretty fast. I wouldn't sleep on this guy as a deep threat if he ever gets his shot as a WR, even though he "only" ran a 4.53.

BB passed on Lamar twice in the 1st round of the 2018 draft but still comes out roses because he signed Lamar's "clone" as an UDFA 5 years later. Brilliant!

You are like an old man angrily talking to himself on his front porch that nobody can understand.

You are like an old man angrily talking to himself on his front porch that nobody can understand.
I'm talking to myself but you're replying to my comment and egging me on to talk more. So here it is... Lamar Jackson is an all world talent, his ceiling is the best player in the league, we've seen it. Mentioning Cunningham at all as being Lamar like to any degree is DUMB.

Cunningham is 1 of 4 QBs on the Patriots roster. He's well behind Mac Jones and if he's not then MJ is even much worse than I thought and the Patriots QB situation is in a much sorrier state then anyone is willing to admit. Zappe is the backup and clearly should be next in line if Mac should flop again.

Is McSorley still on the roster? If so then why because we're not keeping 4 quarterbacks. If Cunningham makes the team (as a quarterback) then he's going to be inactive for season.

Aside from all that, there are many members on this forum who ridicule me for holding Jackson in such high regard (as a 1st round elite starter) but now we're supposed to be doing cartwheels because BB supposedly snagged a poor man's Jackson as an UDFA? I repeat... GTFOH!

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back