PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Injury News TY Montgomery

That is good news. if it was serious/season ending there was a chance he might get cut.

After it happened I was holding out hope it was an ankle and not a knee. Once I heard ankle, I felt better.

I think it's likely to be a high ankle sprain, which hurts like absolute hell (apparently ... I cannot speak from experience), but is only a 3-8 week recovery depending on the severity. Hernandez had one of these occur during week 2 of the 2012 season and returned in week 6.

No.

You can be IRd and still return.

You said "if it was serious/season ending there was a chance he might get cut."

In that case, Montgomery can neither be cut nor would be returning.

He would remain IR for the season.

The way he said, almost makes me hopeful for quick return. Maybe for week 1, please

You said "if it was serious/season ending there was a chance he might get cut."

In that case, Montgomery can neither be cut nor would be returning.

He would remain IR for the season.
They would cut him w an injury settlement.

When they first signed him I didn't think he would see many snaps but based on what I read about camp he seemed to be setting up to take the third down back role.

Correct, but if the injury were season ending there would be no reason for the player to settle.
Then they would just cut him and hope for they could resign him.

I'm in the minority for sure, but I'm a fan of J.J. Hope Ty's okay, but I think Taylor is a fine replacement for White's touches.
Fears really liked JJ last summer. I didn't see it when he got on the field last season but I was still hopeful he'd develop. This summer Ty has definitely been better so it would stink but at least JJ offered another option. Hopefully JJ can make it to the PS because I'm not ready to give up on him yet.

Still waiting to hear any definite news about Ty. The below seems encouraging though:

If Montgomery is out for any period of time, my belief is that this helps JJ Taylor the most.

The mere fact that BB thinks he may be able to practice today is a positive sign.

Then they would just cut him and hope for they could resign him.

In cases involving season ending injuries, two things seem to happen:

1) The team waits out the player until he is healthy, and then cut him.
2) The team sticks with the player and extends him to try another year (Raekwon McMillian).

I don't see any advantage to cutting a player if he's gone for the season, only to resign him later. If you're already out the season's money and want him back, why cut and hope to resign? (I guess it happens if you are not sure the player can come back initially, or you change your mind.)

In cases involving season ending injuries, two things seem to happen:

1) The team waits out the player until he is healthy, and then cut him.
2) The team sticks with the player and extends him to try another year (Raekwon McMillian).

I don't see any advantage to cutting a player if he's gone for the season, only to resign him later. If you're already out the season's money and want him back, why cut and hope to resign? (I guess it happens if you are not sure the player can come back initially, or you change your mind.)
You do it if you think a player you want won't survive waivers.

Pats did it with Hoyer a couple of years ago. I agree, it's infrequent but it does happen.

Cap charge for Ty is $150k. Easily to swallow.

You do it if you think a player you want won't survive waivers.

Pats did it with Hoyer a couple of years ago. I agree, it's infrequent but it does happen.

Cap charge for Ty is $150k. Easily to swallow.

I'm confused. Hoyer was healthy when they did it with him.

If Montgomery is out for the season, they can not cut him and there is no incentive for the player to settle. He legitimately gets fully paid because he's out for the season.

I agree if they could do this with Ty, they would consider it.

I don't understand the sequence of what you think could happen.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back