PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ty Law officially released

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Chiefs do a lot of man-to-man where Law is more successful in a zone at this point in his career. He would be far more suited for the Pats' system than most. The question is whether he has gotten over his unrealistic salary demands? I could see him being a FS for us too. At worst he could be an one year stopgap at CB and then move to FS and have a Rod Woodson type of twightlight career.

As for Bell, his reputation has always been better than his play since his rookie season. But I would definitely take a pass at him for the veteran minimum.

Why would we sign him to play FS when we already have our starting FS on the roster?

Remember folks, Ty needs to make enough to feed his family. The Pats couldn't come up with that kind of coin before he left NE. Ty Law was a great Patriot, but it's definitely time to move on.

That would be like a leopard changing its spots, wouldn't it?

Yeah, and that's the big "if" in all this. I personally wouldn't advocate the Pats sign Law if he were to ask for a salary that exceeds or comes close to what the Pats paid Geno this year when playing in the same or similar roles.

The Chiefs do a lot of man-to-man where Law is more successful in a zone at this point in his career. He would be far more suited for the Pats' system than most. The question is whether he has gotten over his unrealistic salary demands? I could see him being a FS for us too. At worst he could be an one year stopgap at CB and then move to FS and have a Rod Woodson type of twightlight career.

We don't really need him at FS b/c Meriweather is going to be a beast there as early as the start of 08. He started the Super Bowl there and played well down the stretch, and he really seems perfect for what we ask of FS.

Still, Law as a #2 CB? I'll take it. I'd love to see the DBs get more physical, Hobbs is tough enough for it, and we know that's an asset of Law, too.

Kendrell Bell also, although he barely played last year - was he hurt ?

Trivia -- Bell became DROY after being drafted with a pick the Pats traded down.

That pick (after another trade) turned into Matt Light.

Why would we sign him to play FS when we already have our starting FS on the roster?

Because DB's on the Pats drop like flies.

I don't care if he wins the starting CB job, plays the Nickel ot Dime, or even plays FS...Law can still play at a high level.

Give him an incentive based contract, and he will be fine. Will he agree to that...not so much.

Its come down into what Law wants to do with his career.

Most teams will ask him to be a FS.

We OTOH will more than likely ask him to stay at corner.

According to The Big Show guys, Ty is going to be at the Celtics game tonight.

They were joking around with Danny Ainge about making sure to get the singing done tonight

We don't really need him at FS b/c Meriweather is going to be a beast there as early as the start of 08. He started the Super Bowl there and played well down the stretch, and he really seems perfect for what we ask of FS.

Still, Law as a #2 CB? I'll take it. I'd love to see the DBs get more physical, Hobbs is tough enough for it, and we know that's an asset of Law, too.

I don't know if I am sold on either Sanders or Meriweather being our fulltime starters at safety in the short or long term. Both seem to have flaws in their game. Until Meriweather can crack the starting line up we have no idea if he will be able to be a beast. He was very up and down last year.

Besides, the Pats prefer to be able to have three players at the safety position who can start and rotate them in and out.

BTW, Ty Law is going to be at the Celtics game tonight. I wonder if he won't leave town without a contract.

I don't know if I am sold on either Sanders or Meriweather being our fulltime starters at safety in the short or long term. Both seem to have flaws in their game.

Most players have flaws in their game. Sanders started at FREE SAFETY all of last year over Eugene Wilson and Meriweather. Sanders is Rodney's heir apparent at SS, IMO.

Until Meriweather can crack the starting line up we have no idea if he will be able to be a beast.

I mean, I think the amount of playing time he got in the SUPER BOWL bodes well for Meriweather.

He was very up and down last year.

...generally that's what happens with rookies.

Besides, the Pats prefer to be able to have three players at the safety position who can start and rotate them in and out.

They already have that in Sanders, Meriweather and Harrison.

They already have that in Sanders, Meriweather and Harrison.

Sanders has flaws in his game. He wiffs on too many tackles for a safety and he blows too many assignments in coverage. That's why he was often replaced by Geno in obvious passing situations even when Geno wasn't fully healed.

Sanders has flaws in his game. He wiffs on too many tackles for a safety and he blows too many assignments in coverage. That's why he was often replaced by Geno in obvious passing situations even when Geno wasn't fully healed.

Sanders is one of the surest tacklers on the defense. Dunno where you pulled that one from.

He's not incredible in coverage, but neither is/was Harrison. Even when Wilson was healthy at the end of the year, Sanders was still on the field.

Jack has it right its the other way around. Wilson was being pulled out of games and being replaced by Sanders.

Also Sanders became one of the surest tacklers on the team last year.

Sanders is one of the surest tacklers on the defense. Dunno where you pulled that one from.

From having watched the games actually. And yes, Sanders is capable of making great open field tackles, is good working through the trash in run support and plugs holes, but as I said, for a safety he wiffs on too many tackles that either lead to TD or decent gains by the RB.

There'a big drop-off between him and Rodney and after having watched the play of Lawyer Milloy and Rodney from the SS spot, I'm hardly at ease with the thought that Sanders is penciled in to take over the position when Rodney hangs it up. He's also hardly an intimidator.
He's not incredible in coverage, but neither is/was Harrison.
Sorry, but this is rubbish.

Jack has it right its the other way around. Wilson was being pulled out of games and being replaced by Sanders.
That contradicts what he had said. Who was the starting FS then, Sanders or Geno?

From having watched the games actually. And yes, Sanders is capable of making great open field tackles, is good working through the trash in run support and plugs holes, but as I said, for a safety he wiffs on too many tackles that either lead to TD or decent gains by the RB.

I disagree. Enough said.

There'a big drop-off between him and Rodney and after having watched the play of Lawyer Milloy and Rodney from the SS spot, I'm hardly at ease with the thought that Sanders is penciled in to take over the position when Rodney hangs it up. He's also hardly an intimidator..

That's funny, considering he hasn't been playing SS.

Sorry, but this is rubbish.

Well, you've convinced me! He's certainly worse than a safety who is only marginally faster than Kevin freakin' Boss. Makes sense.

Last edited:
That's funny, considering he hasn't been playing SS.

If this is the sort of debate you're going to rever to, then fine. But I think it's clear why I wrote what I did and it had somthing to do with your previous assertion that "Sanders is Rodney's heir apparent at SS, IMO."

Well, you've convinced me! He's certainly worse than a safety who is only marginally faster than Kevin freakin' Boss. Makes sense.
Look at Rodney's post season INT totals and tell me he cannot cover. Also, look at his performance against McMichael from a few years ago when Rodney was given ths assignment of shutting him down and tell me Rodney cannot cover.

Again, the premise that Rodney isn't incredible, however you seek to define "incredible," in coverage is pure rubbish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes