PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ty Law officially released

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sanders was the starting FS, and remained as such throughout the season.
A FS who was poor in coverage and bit too hard on playaction, whereby he'd find himself in no-man's land, that he needed to be replced by Geno in passing situations.

Last edited:
If this is the sort of debate you're going to rever to, then fine. But I think it's clear why I wrote what I did and it had somthing to do with your previous assertion that "Sanders is Rodney's heir apparent at SS, IMO."

Look at Rodney's post season INT totals and tell me he cannot cover. Also, look at his performance against McMichael from a few years ago when Rodney was given ths assignment of shutting him down and tell me Rodney cannot cover.

Again, the premise that Rodney isn't incredible, however you seek to define "incredible," in coverage is pure rubbish.

We're obviously never going to agree on this. I would never point to Harrison as someone who is "incredible" in coverage... that's simply risible stuff. But again, I never said he couldn't cover. If you want to argue against straw men, I'm not one to stop you.

Sanders is not going to be as good a player as Harrison; Rodney is an extraordinarily rare breed. But, in my opinion, Sanders has shown marked progress since he was drafted. At this juncture, unless he suddenly falls off (or, by that token, does not continue to improve), I would feel fine with him as our future starter at SS.

Last edited:
A FS who was poor in coverage and bit too hard on playaction, whereby he'd find himself in no-man's land, that he needed to be replced by Geno in passing situations.

Which is why, for most of the season, when Wilson was healthy... Sanders was in, and Wilson was on the sidelines. And for a safety who was "poor" in coverage, the Pats seemed to do pretty well defending the deep ball this season. But hey, great point.

Last edited:
But again, I never said he couldn't cover. If you want to argue against straw men, I'm not one to stop you.

It's hardly a strawman when I made the point that Sander was poor in coverage, to which you replied with a retort about Rodney's coverage skills. Your inference is clearly there that Rodney's as poor in coverage as Sanders or else why make the comparison? And if it's not a comparison or an analogy, then who's the one putting up a strawman?
Sanders is not going to be as good a player as Harrison; Rodney is an extraordinarily rare breed. But, in my opinion, Sanders has shown marked progress since he was drafted. At this juncture, unless he suddenly falls off (or, by that token, does not continue to improve), I would feel fine with him as our future starter at SS.
And I would not even for next season when Rodney's still on board. As I've said, there are things Sanders does well and there are thing he does poorly. The whole point of this thread is if Ty Law can be worked in to help bolster the DB rotation given that in addition to the probable loss of Asante, the Pats will also lose Geno.

Once Rodney retires, however, I want the Pats to get a better SS - one who'll invoke fear into would be receivers coming over the middle. This is after all a huge reason why most Pats fans loved Rodney and Lawyer before him.

Which is why, for most of the season, when Wilson was healthy... Sanders was in, and Wilson was on the sidelines.

Not true at all. It wasn't until the Cowboys game or Week 5 that Rodney started. In prior weeks, Geno had started at FS and Sanders at SS.
And for a safety who was "poor" in coverage, the Pats seemed to do pretty well defending the deep ball this season. But hey, great point.

You mean like the first offensive play of the game by the Giants in their first meeting this past season in which Sanders bit hard on playaction, found himself in no-man's land on a basic cover two, failed to support Hobbs with the play resulting in a long bomb completion to Plaxico? You might want to lose the sarcasm.:rolleyes:

It's hardly a strawman when I made the point that Sander was poor in coverage, to which you replied with a retort about Rodney's coverage skills. Your inference is clearly there that Rodney's as poor in coverage as Sanders or else why make the comparison? And if it's not a comparison or an analogy, then who's the one putting up a strawman?

Sigh.

I wasn't making a comparison OR an analogy. I merely stated that Rodney is not the bee knees when it comes to coverage. Of course, I would dispute your evaluation of Sanders' coverage skills; but given the picture you seem to have of him, I can see why you came to the conclusion that you did.

And I would not even for next season when Rodney's still on board.

And I would. Harrison/Meriweather on running downs; Sanders/Meriweather on passing downs (loosely).

Once Rodney retires, however, I want the Pats to get a better SS - one who'll invoke fear into would be receivers coming over the middle. This is after all a huge reason why most Pats fans loved Rodney and Lawyer before him.

Don't bet on it.

Not true at all. It wasn't until the Cowboys game or Week 5 that Rodney started. In prior weeks, Geno had started at FS and Sanders at SS.

Is that an example of Wilson playing in lieu of Sanders?

You mean like the first offensive play of the game by the Giants in their first meeting this past season in which Sanders bit hard on playaction, found himself in no-man's land on a basic cover two, failed to support Hobbs with the play resulting in a long bomb completion to Plaxico? You might want to lose the sarcasm.:rolleyes:

You found one example. I was talking about the SEASON. Sanders is still young and developing; it's clear he will make mistakes. How about Rodney Harrison on Kevin Boss?

Last edited:
Of course, I would dispute your evaluation of Sanders' coverage skills

It's really not necessary. All you have to do is watch film to see that the coaching staff often took the guy out in obvious passing downs.

Don't bet on it.
I don't bet but I'll trust my instincts and observations more than yours. ;)

Lastly, I think you really do need to look up Rodney's playoff INT totals. Outside of Ty, there's no guy on the team who's been better in coverage in big time situations. Something tells me you will not though.

It's really not necessary. All you have to do is watch film to see that the coaching staff often took the guy out in obvious passing downs.

I don't believe this is accurate. I'm open to being proven wrong.

Lastly, I think you really do need to look up Rodney's playoff INT totals. Outside of Ty, there's no guy on the team who's been better in coverage in big time situations. Something tells me you will not though.

Sure paid off against the Giants, huh?

Last edited:
Hardly a rebuttal and more of a dismissal actually. Just don't feel like arguing with a******* on the internet.:bricks:

Back on topic-No more retreads.

If we can't spring a hungry backup like Vrable, I say we go with draft picks.

Again, hardly a cop-out and I meant what I said. It's useless and a waste of time correcting guys like you.

Now toss in your chest thumping last word and tell yourself it mattered. And don't forget to edit it just to make yourself look better.

Cheers kid.:rocker:

The Pats need to get younger on D, but getting Law would be a move I would love. Hopefully they can work something out.

Again, hardly a cop-out and I meant what I said. It's useless and a waste of time correcting guys like you.

Another cop out? You'd think if you were CAPABLE of correcting me, you would have by now.

And don't forget to edit it just to make yourself look better.

Yes, because editing totally makes one look all the more impressive.

:rolleyes:

Another cop out? You'd think if you were CAPABLE of correcting me, you would have by now.
Scroll up and learn to read.

You know, this really didn't need to be such a struggle nor did it need to be so acrimonious. Next time, try debating an issue, even one which you disagree with, in good faith. We're all Pats fans here.
:bricks:

Scroll up and learn to read.

You know, this really didn't need to be such a struggle nor did it need to be so acrimonious. Next time, try debating an issue, even one which you disagree with, in good faith. We're all Pats fans here.
:bricks:

A whole lot of irony in a single post. If I wasn't debating, pray tell, what exactly was I doing?

Last edited:
A whole lot of irony in a single post. If I wasn't debating, pray tell, what exactly was I doing?

Again, wrong. It's hardly irony when I'm telling it like it is. And again, scroll up and read your antics here. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back