PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Twelve (12) Patriots listed as questionable?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hayneworth (illness)? Wonder what he came down with... or is that just code for "not fully participating because he's kinda fat and out of shape"?

I know I'm a bit of a homer, but that list could be a lot worse. We'll miss Vollmer a lot if he can't go, and Haynesworth goes without saying, but the rest of list I don't think we'll miss that much on a one game basis.

Also, Brady not being on the injury report makes me happy! I always imagined his arm flying off or something in the middle of a game due to his "injury." :bricks:

Wow, 12 people with the "questionable" designation of the Injury Report?..... How disconcerting. I'm mean, we know how serious that Bill Belichick takes that thing. He would never put someone on that list unless something was seriously wrong with them. :confused:

Really guys...... This is not our first year watching the Patriots, is it? It's amazing how we still get all ampted up about this thing. Everyone on that list practiced in full pads on Wednesday and Thursday and were present Friday. Yet there they all are....

Questionable is more serious than probable. It means a 50-50 chance of playing. I believe a while back that the league got on BB's case about no more fudging with the injury report, so this might be taken at face value.

Last edited:
It's a good thing the players can't practice as much anymore or the Pats would be lucky to field a team on game day.

Are people really reading into this?

As an engineer, I'll do a bit of math analysis here...

Pats need 11 on defense and 11 on offense, plus maybe a kicker gives 23

53 roster
-12 questionable
====
41 available

Have 41, need 23 or so

We're good to go!

What, no "Brady, Probable, Shoulder?"

Let me give you my explanation for this.

A few years ago, BB listed a player with an injury as "probable" for an away game and then the player didn't even take the trip with the team. BB was questioned by the NFL about this and told them it was a coaches' decision (not related to the injury) to not take the player (a regular starter) on the trip.

The NFL disagreed with this reasoning and fined BB for listing a player as probable and then not bringing the player on the trip.

The upshot of this is that the NFL has essentially mandated that coaches' decisions (i.e. whether a coach decides a player should be on the active 46) are a relevant factor in the injury report!

So, since that time, BB lists all players (particularly for road games) that have an injury that may or may not end up playing due to a coaches' decision. That is, it's not the injury that makes a lot of these players questionable, it's the coaches' decision. But they do have an injury so they need to be listed. But they can't be listed as probable and then a number of them not play without BB risking another fine so they are listed as questionable.

Bizarre but true. BB is just doing his best to follow the rules the way the NFL office prescribes. :eek:

I know I'm a bit of a homer, but that list could be a lot worse. We'll miss Vollmer a lot if he can't go, and Haynesworth goes without saying, but the rest of list I don't think we'll miss that much on a one game basis.

saved me typing. a lot of meh, otherwise.

Questionable is more serious than probable. It means a 50-50 chance of playing. I believe a while back that the league got on BB's case about no more fudging with the injury report, so this might be taken at face value.

I doubt it..... see below

A few years ago, BB listed a player with an injury as "probable" for an away game and then the player didn't even take the trip with the team. BB was questioned by the NFL about this and told them it was a coaches' decision (not related to the injury) to not take the player (a regular starter) on the trip.

The NFL disagreed with this reasoning and fined BB for listing a player as probable and then not bringing the player on the trip.

The upshot of this is that the NFL has essentially mandated that coaches' decisions (i.e. whether a coach decides a player should be on the active 46) are a relevant factor in the injury report!

So, since that time, BB lists all players (particularly for road games) that have an injury that may or may not end up playing due to a coaches' decision. That is, it's not the injury that makes a lot of these players questionable, it's the coaches' decision. But they do have an injury so they need to be listed. But they can't be listed as probable and then a number of them not play without BB risking another fine so they are listed as questionable.

Bizarre but true. BB is just doing his best to follow the rules the way the NFL office prescribes. :eek:

I've noticed this too. It's probably related.

I doubt it..... see below

I've noticed this too. It's probably related.

Might be conjecture, it should be interesting to follow as the season progresses. But if this is the case, why would anyone designate an injured player as "probable"? Why not just lump everyone in the "questionable" category?

It will be interesting to learn who flies down with the team and who stays home. I hope that Al is on that plane, even if it does cause balance issues.

Do you really think Bill Belichick is worried about fines from the home office for his injury report? I doubt it. He's complying to some extent but mostly messing with the opposition coaching staff. "Out" or "Doubtful" signals more than the entirely questionable designation of..."questionable." Patjew (Can we call you Patjew without being anti-semitic?) is correct - let's see who gets on the plane.

The Haynesworth listing is annoying because we really want to see that Ellis-Carter-Big Vince-Fat Albert foursome pushing an opposing offensive line down the field. It's an old group, but could be fun to see gel as a pocket crusher.

Last edited:
Do you really think Bill Belichick is worried about fines from the home office for his injury report? I doubt it. He's complying to some extent but mostly messing with the opposition coaching staff. "Out" or "Doubtful" signals more than the entirely questionable designation of..."questionable." Patjew (Can we call you Patjew without being anti-semitic?) is correct - let's see who gets on the plane.

I think that BB is playing the injury list game - and that the NFL has given him not only an excuse but a mandate to play the game in this particular way. BB is more than happy to comply.

Easy folks. We are talking about The Patriots injury report.

There are so many reasons to love Belichick.

This is yet another.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes