PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Trey Hill (young CB) in; Asante Cleveland cut

Status
Not open for further replies.
With 1) Jones, 2) Hall, 3) Kirkpatrick and 4) Dennard (obviously another first round pick), all set at CB for the Bengals, could it have simply been a numbers game with Hill? Seems a bit odd, doesn't it?

I mean, I realize that he was suspended in 2013 for the domestic issues/incident, and that he had some character concerns, but how in the world does someone fall from a round #1 mock draft to going undrafted altogether? Did their mock draft take place 5 years ago or something? This wasn't a case of a La'El Collins or Alfonzo Dennard who ruined their draft stock by doing something (edit: or having accusations) at the last minute. This was an incident from 2013 and by all accounts, a player who had grown into a fine full-time starter? What gives?

You ask what gives with Cincy releasing what seems to be a proven talented gem in the making after what seems to be much much too little time to give up on??? Well here's one explanation: I don't know Cincy's player personnel and coaching staffs very well but ask yourself this: Do they have a lot of former Jet people? :)

In all seriousness you make a good point. A guy making a first round mock doesn't go undrafted without a pretty serious mar in his character report. Does that actually ever happen that one or two or more teams wouldn't try a 5th or 6th or a 7th round pick on a player that is estimated first round talent and has only a minor character report question?? It doesn't happen to the best of my recollection. There has to be an error in the mock(s). The people putting them together must have been on dope....

Darryl Roberts had 18 passes defended last year in CFB and Troy Hill had 19. Hill was 11th in the nation for Passes Defended Per Game.

Edit: Logan Ryan had 21 and 16 Passes defended in his last two seasons. There seems to be a little bit of a pattern there. However it should be noted that Justin Coleman and Dennard didn't have more than ten in either of their last two seasons.

Last edited:
You ask what gives with Cincy releasing what seems to be a proven talented gem in the making after what seems to be much much too little time to give up on??? Well here's one explanation: I don't know Cincy's player personnel and coaching staffs very well but ask yourself this: Do they have a lot of former Jet people? :)

In all seriousness you make a good point. A guy making a first round mock doesn't go undrafted without a pretty serious mar in his character report. Does that actually ever happen that one or two or more teams wouldn't try a 5th or 6th or a 7th round pick on a player that is estimated first round talent and has only a minor character report question?? It doesn't happen to the best of my recollection. There has to be an error in the mock(s). The people putting them together must have been on dope....

The timing of the suspension or character concerns (2013) seems a bit odd, especially considering that he was only a part time player from what I understand. By growing into a full time starter (2014) who had shown good progression and issues that were in the past, it does seem a bit odd that anyone would've projected him as a 1st round draft pick, only to see him fall out of the draft completely.

Oh well, regardless of where he was/wasn't drafted, let's hope that he ends up being a diamond in the rough. I have faith in these types of signings, which are often geared towards the future. I'm certainly not nearly as sold on the CB position for 2016 as some others seem to be once you take out the obvious Butler/Ryan duo, so throwing one more young player with upside can't be a bad thing. Seeing one or both of Roberts and Hill step up would be huge.

With 1) Jones, 2) Hall, 3) Kirkpatrick and 4) Dennard (obviously another first round pick), all set at CB for the Bengals, could it have simply been a numbers game with Hill? Seems a bit odd, doesn't it?

Dennard was put on IR recently. But I guess they wanted the other guy as manxman2601 mentioned.

The timing of the suspension or character concerns (2013) seems a bit odd, especially considering that he was only a part time player from what I understand. By growing into a full time starter (2014) who had shown good progression and issues that were in the past, it does seem a bit odd that anyone would've projected him as a 1st round draft pick, only to see him fall out of the draft completely.

Oh well, regardless of where he was/wasn't drafted, let's hope that he ends up being a diamond in the rough. I have faith in these types of signings, which are often geared towards the future. I'm certainly not nearly as sold on the CB position for 2016 as some others seem to be once you take out the obvious Butler/Ryan duo, so throwing one more young player with upside can't be a bad thing. Seeing one or both of Roberts and Hill step up would be huge.

I did a little searching on Troy and found him on a list of 'undrafted players worth a look'. Of note is that Troy was semi near the top but a few spots down from a UDFA named Justin Coleman.
But if the BB braintrust think he is worth a look then he is worth a look. These young, lower tier, raw CBs seem to need time to bring along to find out how productive they can be. Another one with a glimmer of promise sounds about right to me...

I did a little searching on Troy and found him on a list of 'undrafted players worth a look'. Of note is that Troy was semi near the top but a few spots down from a UDFA named Justin Coleman.
But if the BB braintrust think he is worth a look then he is worth a look. These young, lower tier, raw CBs seem to need time to bring along to find out how productive they can be. Another one with a glimmer of promise sounds about right to me...

Optimistic view:

Guys like Coleman, Johnson, Roberts, and Hill certainly have some potential, so I love the fact that they'll be a part of our developmental prospects category. If one/more rises to the challenge, we'd have at least 3 solid starting CBs next year. I absolutely love the fact that Belichick and company may be making a move or two with an eye towards next year.

Pessimistic view:

I still wouldn't mind another signing/draft selection at the position just the same. We have the old "no player has ever been redshirted due to injury then gone on to have a successful career in NE" angle (Roberts), a couple of JAGS, albeit ones that have played well in their roles so far (Coleman, Johnson), and a guy who may not even be here long (Hill).

Realistic view:

The truth probably lies in the middle. We should be able to get by with at least ONE of the above four CBs making the team next summer, but they're likely to select another CB at some point in the draft, as well as bring in a lower/middle tier FA.

Probably didnt help his drsft stock: Charged with strangling his girlfriend in college. Pled out to"menacing", a misdemeanor.

Probably didnt help his drsft stock: Charged with strangling his girlfriend in college. Pled out to"menacing", a misdemeanor.

Yeah, but that was in 2013 when he was only a part time player. In 2014, he gained full time reps, played very well, and proved that his troubles were in the past. One would think his draft stock would've gone way up, not the other way around.

Yeah, but that was in 2013 when he was only a part time player. In 2014, he gained full time reps, played very well, and proved that his troubles were in the past. One would think his draft stock would've gone way up, not the other way around.

Looking at last year's draft, there were only four CBs drafted that were 5-10 or shorter and under 190lbs. His size plus his maturity questions probably explain why his draft stock was so depressed.

From his NFL.com profile:

SOURCES TELL US
"When you go back in his history, you find out that he's always had a chip on his shoulder and that is what fuels him. He uses it to be a better football player. There are some maturity issues with him that concern me, though." -- NFC director of scouting
NFL COMPARISON
Jayron Hosley
BOTTOM LINE
Improved by leaps and bounds from 2013 to 2014 after becoming a full-time starter. Plays with competitive toughness and improving confidence in coverage. Hill has the athleticism and ball skills to be an NFL cornerback, but his slight frame is a substantial concern. Concerns surrounding his off-field character could hurt his draft stock.

Troy Hill Draft Profile – NFL.com

Tweaking the roster for the "tournament"..

Another guy with a "chip on his shoulder"..

#BostonStrangler

Shutdown corner just garnered a new meaning. :eek:

Here's a clip of his combine workout.
2015 Combine Workout: Oregon DB Troy Hill 

**They did okay with another Oregon guy with a chip on his shoulder.
**As for Chip Kelly not signing him, look at the guys Kelly cut/traded and the success they had this year, DeSean Jackson had 500 yards receiving in 8 games and Maclin and McCoy both had very good years ...
** I wonder if his dropping out of the draft was a result of Greg Hardy and teams being gun shy about drafting anybody with a DV mark on their record because of the PR hit they would take.
** It could also be a result of group think. One guy looks at him and says he has first round talent and another guy looks at his maturity or build and says 5th or 6 th round. A couple latter evaluations and he falls out of the draft... We all know how a 6th or 7th rounder can pan out.....

I mean, I realize that he was suspended in 2013 for the domestic issues/incident, and that he had some character concerns, but how in the world does someone fall from a round #1 mock draft to going undrafted altogether? Did their mock draft take place 5 years ago or something? This wasn't a case of a La'El Collins or Alfonzo Dennard who ruined their draft stock by doing something (edit: or having accusations) at the last minute. This was an incident from 2013 and by all accounts, a player who had grown into a fine full-time starter? What gives?
I had read somewhere he was more of a 4th rounder even if he kep his nose clean.

Usually I'm the one defending PFF in some limited fashion, but part of their shtick to get publicity is being contrarian. They'll say a UDFA should be a 1st rounder based on some justification just to garner buzz. I wouldn't read much into that other than that he was a productive college player.

On Christmas Eve Baltimore, Cincinnati, Jacksonville and New Orleans released players and New Orleans released another on Christmas Day. But, only Belichick is The Grinch for releasing Cleveland.

Here's a clip of his combine workout.
2015 Combine Workout: Oregon DB Troy Hill

**They did okay with another Oregon guy with a chip on his shoulder.
**As for Chip Kelly not signing him, look at the guys Kelly cut/traded and the success they had this year, DeSean Jackson had 500 yards receiving in 8 games and Maclin and McCoy both had very good years ...
** I wonder if his dropping out of the draft was a result of Greg Hardy and teams being gun shy about drafting anybody with a DV mark on their record because of the PR hit they would take.
** It could also be a result of group think. One guy looks at him and says he has first round talent and another guy looks at his maturity or build and says 5th or 6 th round. A couple latter evaluations and he falls out of the draft... We all know how a 6th or 7th rounder can pan out.....
His combine numbers are pretty brutal. Showed zero explosiveness. Terrible vertical, terrible long jump, slow 40. Small hands and very short wingspan (short arms). Add all that and the "maturity issues" and you have your answer.

As we all know though, great combine numbers doesn't always mean a great career, poor combine numbers doesn't mean a players sucks.

They also have Josh Shaw, who they drafted in the 4th round this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes