PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Trey Hill (young CB) in; Asante Cleveland cut

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fencer

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Patriots waive TE Asante Cleveland on Christmas; similar to Super Bowl move

The Bengals had a young PS CB named Trey Hill, promoted him to the active roster, used him mainly on STs for about 3 games, and waived him. The Pats claimed him, and cut Cleveland to make room.

Cleveland is yet another example that getting praised by BB for your work on a specific play (usually on STs) in his videos with Zolak is no guarantee of keeping your job. Even getting a number of regular-down snaps isn't.

PFF had Troy Hill as the Pats first rounder in a mock of theirs (via Rich Hill).

The Patriots have lost a number of corners through free agency and should look to address that need here. There is an emphasis on what corners can do in this draft but Hill is consistently in good position in coverage and with the ability to make plays on the ball for pass defenses, notching 11 during his final season with the Ducks.

CFF Mock Draft: Round 1

i'd say cleveland was the best asante i can remember us having.

Guessing this means Chandler is healthy.

I like this guy a lot. Hopefully he sticks around, keeps his head on straight and becomes something.

Butler/Ryan/Roberts/Hill/Coleman are 5 very promising, young CBs.

I like this guy a lot. Hopefully he sticks around, keeps his head on straight and becomes something.

Butler/Ryan/Roberts/Hill/Coleman are 5 very promising, young CBs.
Johnson is another young guy who has played alright in his role, too. This CB group seems filled with potential, two VERY solid starters and a ton of guy who can provide depth for potentially any role.

And they're all dirt cheap for the moment. Not only do I think we can possibly win it all again this year, but our future outlook on defense looks exceptional.

At minimum, two of HT, Collins, and Jones will be retained long term, potentially all 3, Brown looks like a stud as a run stuffer with 3 down potential in his future, Easley, IMO was one of the best (in the league) Interior DL pass rushers until he went on IR, DMC is locked up long term and Chung I'd guess doesn't want to leave either after his last out-of-NE experience.

Last edited:
Never say no to a promising young CB. Hopefully he can turn into something.

PFF had Troy Hill as the Pats first rounder in a mock of theirs (via Rich Hill).

CFF Mock Draft: Round 1

With 1) Jones, 2) Hall, 3) Kirkpatrick and 4) Dennard (obviously another first round pick), all set at CB for the Bengals, could it have simply been a numbers game with Hill? Seems a bit odd, doesn't it?

I mean, I realize that he was suspended in 2013 for the domestic issues/incident, and that he had some character concerns, but how in the world does someone fall from a round #1 mock draft to going undrafted altogether? Did their mock draft take place 5 years ago or something? This wasn't a case of a La'El Collins or Alfonzo Dennard who ruined their draft stock by doing something (edit: or having accusations) at the last minute. This was an incident from 2013 and by all accounts, a player who had grown into a fine full-time starter? What gives?

Cleveland technically and payroll wise did lose a spot (and that sucks for Cleveland). However, it is unlikely he has certainly lost a spot in the near future or longer term future. Any PS player on the Patriots (and probably other teams) needs to know: (a) on the PS you are probably week to week every week, and (b) if you are cut from the PS you are probably still week to week unless you catch on elsewhere or just bombed out.
Cleveland was called up and I believe he even started a game. I assume this means he showed something while on the PS. So unless he did something quite bad in the eyes of the coaches, I assume he remains on the PS possibility chart in the short term future. ((I'm guessing a successful Iosefa debut made Cleveland a step even further down the chart.))

With 1) Jones, 2) Hall, 3) Kirkpatrick and 4) Dennard (obviously another first round pick), all set at CB for the Bengals, could it have simply been a numbers game with Hill? Seems a bit odd, doesn't it?

I mean, I realize that he was suspended in 2013 for the domestic issues/incident, and that he had some character concerns, but how in the world does someone fall from a round #1 mock draft to going undrafted altogether? Did their mock draft take place 5 years ago or something? This wasn't a case of a La'El Collins or Alfonzo Dennard who ruined their draft stock by doing something (edit: or having accusations) at the last minute. This was an incident from 2013 and by all accounts, a player who had grown into a fine full-time starter? What gives?

I follow a Bengals guy on Twitter called Joe Goodberry and this is his theory:

Cleveland technically and payroll wise did lose a spot (and that sucks for Cleveland). However, it is unlikely he has certainly lost a spot in the near future or longer term future. Any PS player on the Patriots (and probably other teams) needs to know: (a) on the PS you are probably week to week every week, and (b) if you are cut from the PS you are probably still week to week unless you catch on elsewhere or just bombed out.
Cleveland was called up and I believe he even started a game. I assume this means he showed something while on the PS. So unless he did something quite bad in the eyes of the coaches, I assume he remains on the PS possibility chart in the short term future. ((I'm guessing a successful Iosefa debut made Cleveland a step even further down the chart.))

As for Troy Hill falling in the draft, remember that PFF are grading , largely on on field production whereas most in the draft grade on projecting to the NFL. I'm not sure Hill was a first rounder for anyone else. I must admit, I never watched him so can't really comment. Only thing I would say is that the value of 5'10, 180lb CBs that run 4.5 plus and play in a non-press scheme is somewhat diminished.

Edit: Rich Hill was a big fan of his FWIW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News