PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Training Camp observations (8/13/18)

Status
Not open for further replies.
For example, he was on the WS of a run play and did not fully engage the DB covering him (did not notice which one), who easily broke free and made a beeline across the field to the scrum pile. Expect he'll be hearing about it when they review practice tape.

I had this problem with Lucien last yr preseason games. Looked like he's only interested in his own gains. Unfortunately his talk today was the same. You rarely hear so much “I“ (and “them“ - meaning coaches who are evaluating “him“) during TC interview anywhere in the league let alone Foxb..

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: PP2
PP2, thanks this was the most informative thing that I've read about the Pats all weekend (taking today off).

Any observations/takeaways on TE's not named Gronk?

Hollister looks poised to make that crucial second year leap. He ran with the first during hurry up and didn't miss a beat. I think he's earned Brady's trust and is going to be a solid #3 behind Gronk/Allen. None of the other TE's stood out to me. I don't think we'll have any surprises at that position this year.

Hollister looks poised to make that crucial second year leap. He ran with the first during hurry up and didn't miss a beat. I think he's earned Brady's trust and is going to be a solid #3 behind Gronk/Allen. None of the other TE's stood out to me. I don't think we'll have any surprises at that position this year.
I’d calll him 2b because since his special teams play means we can activate 3 TEs he and Allen will probably play a similar amount of snaps.

Eting on the field next- his mechanism is much improved but he still has somewhat of a sidearm delivery and doesn't "loft" the ball, something he must learn for the dumpoffs over the middle or the rusher which you want to "float" the ball over to avoid having it get batted down or intercepted.

I strongly disagree with the opinion on Etling's mechanics.

Thanks again for the write-up, PP2. Two questions:

What is "biomechanical imbalance" and how does one avoid it by not participating in warm-ups and stretching?

A 3-4 LB rotation of Hightower, Van Noy and...Roberts? Say it ain't so!

Yes, I expect Allen and Hollister to share the TE2 spot as they complement one another.

Agree they really do.

Use both early and check how opponents adjust for each of them which will most probably be more sub defense against Hollister and more base against Allen.

And then just decide whats the most favorable way to create mismatches and exploit it.

What is "biomechanical imbalance" and how does one avoid it by not participating in warm-ups and stretching?

I don't know the details of Guerrero or why he would talk about "biomechanical imbalance". And no one (who isn't crazy) thinks that warm-ups aren't a good idea.

But these days advanced body-work coaches have moved towards "dynamic" warm-ups, rather than static "stretch and hold" exercises. In so doing, they're going back to Eastern/martial arts practices, as I understand it.

Thanks again for the write-up, PP2. Two questions:

A very basic example would be focusing on stretching and warming up the hamstring muscles at the expense of the quads, or not spending an equal amount of time on the quads. At least that's my understanding of it, and I'm no expert.

The team still engages in some of the old stretch and hold type of warmup and that's where they didn't quite participate. It wasn't overt, but it was noticeable.

A 3-4 LB rotation of Hightower, Van Noy and...Roberts? Say it ain't so!

My guess is it'll be HT, Bentley, KVN, and Roberts.

I think Bentley will be HT's back up and sub in general and comes in on coverage packages.

Roberts was assailed on this board last season, but due to injuries, he was asked to do way more than he was capable of. He is a solid run stopper, but shouldn't have ended up chasing RBs in open space.

Roberts was assailed on this board last season, but due to injuries, he was asked to do way more than he was capable of. He is a solid run stopper, but shouldn't have ended up chasing RBs in open space.
So if he was incapable of doing what he was asked...then...why should he be here again?

Because he's a "solid" run-stopper?

Bentley's already better than he ever was.

And how many more of those run-stopper types do we need, when not one of our LBs is capable (save perhaps for Marquis Flowers...maybe) of chasing RBs & TEs in open space?

Any input on Christian Sam? He looked like a possible diamond in the rough when I dug around after the draft, but I haven't heard a word about him all camp.

Because he's a "solid" run-stopper?

Bentley's already better than he ever was.

And how many more of those run-stopper types do we need, when not one of our LBs is capable (save perhaps for Marquis Flowers...maybe) of chasing RBs & TEs in open space?

This right here is why your posts are often so maddening.

On the one hand you have already decided in your signature over-the-top writing style that Bentley is better than Roberts ever was after Bentley flashed in one preseason game. We ignore 2 years worth of Roberts and how Bentley didn't play a since second of meaningful football yet. He is better. End of story.

But then in your next sentence suddenly you reject the narrative that is building about Bentley looking surprisingly good in coverage and declare that we have no LBs that are capable of working in space.

I have gotten used to the superlatives that you use as everyone is a bust or useless but I don't fully grasp how within 2 sentences you buy the hype about a player but then decide that what the hype is really about (i.e. his coverage ability) is actually ********.

Maddening.

Any input on Christian Sam? He looked like a possible diamond in the rough when I dug around after the draft, but I haven't heard a word about him all camp.

None- there were only so many things I could keep my eyes on, sorry.

And whose fault is that?

Well, McClellin got hurt, HT got hurt, Nink retired at the last minute (he could've helprd on the outside), Harris turned out to be worthless. Then, of course, the DL became a sieve when Valentine got hurt and Branch fell off a cliff, and the rookies couldn't handle it.

Sometimes shyt happens, it's nobody's fault, and all the woulda-coulda-shoulda and retrospective blame-gaming on our part is just self-serving BS.

In THIS case, however, it's entirely MY fault. I foresaw all of this happening and didn't reach out to BB, Caserio et al, to warn them.

Sorry folks. The horrible disaster that was the Pats 2017 season is all on ME. And, I suppose, on anyone else who knew better and didn't say anything to the Pats organization.

"See something, say something." Words to live by.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST