PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Trade with Cowboys possible, Pioli in Dallas, Cowboy scout here

Status
Not open for further replies.
captain stone said:
Of course, the Seau matter could make all of this a moot point...

I dont think so.

Even if we do sign Seau, there's still roster space for Shanle:

NT (2) Wilfork, Smith
DE (5) Seymour, Warren, Green, Wright, Hill
OLB (4) Vrabel, Colvin, TBC, Mincey
ILB (6) Bruschi, Seau, Beisel, Shanle, Izzo, Davis
CB (4) Hobbs, Samuel, Wilson, Gay/Scott
S (5) Harrison, Hawk, Sanders, Jones, Scott

The two who lose out are Gardner and either Alexander or Woods.

Chad Brown istead of Hill, I think.

rookBoston said:
I dont think so.

NT (2) Wilfork, Smith

...Chad Brown?

Last edited by a moderator:
rookBoston said:
I dont think so.

NT (2) Wilfork, Smith

You're right, Rook; there's room for Shanle (or somebody else) even if Seau is signed. However, I am hoping that the two who lose out are Izzo and Davis. Gardner and Alexander can not only replace their declining production on STs, but also actually play a little LB, which LI and DD have shown to be incapable of doing. Especially in the 3-4; They just aren't big enough, strong enough, fast enough, good enough.

captain stone said:
You're right, Rook; there's room for Shanle (or somebody else) even if Seau is signed. However, I am hoping that the two who lose out are Izzo and Davis. Gardner and Alexander can not only replace their declining production on STs, but also actually play a little LB, which LI and DD have shown to be incapable of doing. Especially in the 3-4; They just aren't big enough, strong enough, fast enough, good enough.

No. Izzo and Davis are going to give the Pats 10x better special teams production on special teams, nevermind being veteran leaders. Once you get down the 3rd string, how well they can play in the 3-4 gets less important, as their main contribution will be on special teams.

pats1 said:
No. Izzo and Davis are going to give the Pats 10x better special teams production on special teams, nevermind being veteran leaders. Once you get down the 3rd string, how well they can play in the 3-4 gets less important, as their main contribution will be on special teams.
Should be the case. Izzo and Davis can't play forever, so maybe the cap'n is making a guess that this is the year. But there doesn't seem to be much indication really that it would be this year. Izzo is 31 and it seems very unlikely that his skills have declined enough yet to detract from the capability that has made him a top special teams captain. Davis is 33 and so that may begin to be a little bit more of a question mark. Belichick is pretty pragmatic (ruthless?) about competition, so if one of the young guys (LB or DB) steps up really big preseason, Davis might be on the bubble. (Izzo and Davis turn a year older come September/October).

rookBoston said:
I dont think so.

NT (2) Wilfork, Smith

I wouldn't give a plug nickle for Larry Izzo's chances right now; and even Davis might be in trouble too, but I think his locker room leadership carries the day...

Plus Davis is pretty versatile...hasn't he played some safety for us too? His spot is safe.

Is there a market for trading a ST ace like Izzo???? His salary is reasonable. His skills have not declined all that much. He's servicable for a year or two.

AzPatsFan said:
I wouldn't give a plug nickle for Larry Izzo's chances right now; and even Davis might be in trouble too, but I think his locker room leadership carries the day...

Izzo is as safe as they get based on his great ST ability and the depth he provides as a coverage ILB. He can't shed a block and help much against the running game, but he has usefulness outside of the kicking game covering HB/TE out of the backfield.

Dragda said:
Izzo is as safe as they get based on his great ST ability and the depth he provides as a coverage ILB. He can't shed a block and help much against the running game, but he has usefulness outside of the kicking game covering HB/TE out of the backfield.

Yup. When I think of keepers, I think Brady, Seymour, Maroney, Bruschi, Izzo. No doubt.

Charlie Adams failed his physical and returns to the Broncos.

pats1 said:
Charlie Adams failed his physical and returns to the Broncos.

Wow. First Suggs, now Adams. These physicals are a b!tch.

Then again, how did Sully pass his?

P.S.: In reply to the Davis and Izzo thoughts, my feeling is that these two are just not that good on STs anymore. Do I think that the coverage/return units would be that much worse without them? No, I don't. I tape the games that are on local TV here in Hershey, and I watch the kickoffs and punts, more than once. Neither one can bust a wedge in coverage. I feel that it's time for some new blood and some young blood. Keep one of them, if you must. But please, for the love of god, don't keep both, again.
Just had to get that off my chest. Thanks.

After week 8, we swap BB for Parcells and see who wins the most games. it's like switching ends of the field.

In the meantime, Gorin for Gary Shandling?

Bridget for a cheerleader TBNL?

captain stone said:
Wow. First Suggs, now Adams. These physicals are a b!tch.

Then again, how did Sully pass his?

P.S.: In reply to the Davis and Izzo thoughts, my feeling is that these two are just not that good on STs anymore. Do I think that the coverage/return units would be that much worse without them? No, I don't. I tape the games that are on local TV here in Hershey, and I watch the kickoffs and punts, more than once. Neither one can bust a wedge in coverage. I feel that it's time for some new blood and some young blood. Keep one of them, if you must. But please, for the love of god, don't keep both, again.

Pierre Woods busted wedges at UM. For my part, I have Davis making the cut, Izzo not.

Who else will be watching tonights Cowboys game with an eye towards Scott Shanle?

IMHO just becuase they went and signed Seau doesn't mean they are finished with LB moves. I think a trade for Gorin is a possiblity. A serviceable starter is still a need.

dryheat44 said:
Pierre Woods busted wedges at UM. For my part, I have Davis making the cut, Izzo not.

That's my thought too.

pats1 said:

Gardener and Alexander are good ST players. So were Davis and Izzo even if they are getting very old. But Gardener is currently the #3 ILB and Alexander isan ex SS, and has some coverage ability for a LB, same as Davis. I think Izzo goes, and Davis survives for his last season, before going on as a Coach assistant.

captain stone said:

I agree, I know Larry Izzo is a special teams "Ace" but frankly the special teams coverage and return teams have been poor for the last couple of seasons. Keep either Izzo or Davis if you must but please, please, please not both.

There, said it, feel better already. Thank you Captain Stone.

dryheat44 said:
Pierre Woods busted wedges at UM.

Some people may not understand your meaning.

Might have included "on kickoffs" so they don't get the wrong impression of Pierre.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
Back