PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Trade with Cowboys possible, Pioli in Dallas, Cowboy scout here

Status
Not open for further replies.
huskeralk said:
One by one you shall all see the light. I should be an NFL GM.
I don't know why it is in this context, but reading ALK's claim that he should be an "NFL GM" has me thinking I should write, "not that there's anything wrong with that." :confused:

First, I just want to say hi to all you Patriots fans. I'm a Cowboy fan, visiting to get your take on this prospective trade. I won't be one of your regular visitors, but thought I would throw a couple things your way.

Box_O_Rocks said:
This thread must be what it's like trying to open a store for the day after Thanksgiving shoppers...:eek:

Tackles on roster: Light, Gorin, Kaczur, O'Callaghan, Britt, Hand
Guards: Mankins, Neal, Hochstein, Mruczkowski, Yates, Stevenson, Barthelmes, Hand

But before we get too excited about swapping one of the tackles, where is our beloved Drew most susceptible to the pass rush? Those of you singing "Heh diddle diddle straight up the middle" get a gold star. If I recall correctly, Dallas was desperate enough last season to move one of their more functional tackles inside to protect Drew - of course this is my memory and I'm still looking for the mind I misplaced. As long as we're living in fantasy land, lets send Billy Yates home to Texas shore up their middle. If not, Britt and Hand are expendable, Gorin would be a show me the money deal if that was who they wanted. As much as he disappoints with his pass protection gaffes, he is still a proven game day commodity compared to O'Callaghan, and I expect him to start the season at RT, no matter who ends it.

Or we could make NEM really happy and swap Light for Ware, move Mankins outside until Kaczur is healthy, and run Mruczkowski at LG. Heh, this is the fantasy thread, right?

I think you have a good point about the middle. Rivera and Kosier are set, but the depth there is rookies or young guys yet to take a snap. Gurode backs up RG, but he's the only real experience there is at backup.

Another speculation has been NT, because Parcells isn't completely happy with the depth behind Ferguson. Not much experience at all.

We're generally satisfied with what we have starting at tackle, but the depth is still a concern because there's youth/inexperience there as well. When Jacob Rogers wimped away into the sunset and Adams went down last, we were left with a late round rookie at RT, and a UFA who played RG in college, then RT in 2004 moved to LT, where he'd never played. Right now we have Adams and Colombo who are trying to get back in the swing of things, Pettiti, who's improved and Fabini, who's been less than impressive. If we cut Fabini loose, we have Adams, Colombo, Pettiti, and the rook McQuistan who's been pretty good, but isn't ready to step in.

The players being "showcased" Saturday were Shanle and Kenyon Coleman, and it's thought they're the primary bait. They're looking at an extension for Bradie James, and Ayodele has been making a good adjustment inside. Shanle will never be a pro bowl player or anything but he doesn't make many mistakes at all, and he's a solid player. I like the kid, he always brings it 100% and I feel he's still got some upside. Not the sky's the limit mind you, but he hasn't reached full potential. He was thrown into the fire with little experience and responded well.

Coleman's a good player against the run, but he's not much of a pass rush threat. He can also play some tackle in a pinch. I highly doubt you all are interested regardless.

A wild, and I do mean wild card is Ellis. We've got a few guys who can play the strong side, so he may get his wish and be traded. He's 1st string over there but Carpenter was drafted to play there at some point, Singleton plays there and Junior Glymph has been playing there and has been coming on. We would still have Singleton to play there until the younger guys are ready, and Ellis' contract isn't prohibitive to a trade. Not saying it would happen, but who knows?

Oh, and no WRs looking for big extensions. We've already got you know who, and Terry Glenn signed an extension in the spring. Any WRs we do look at will likely be #3,#4 type guys.

Last edited:
Scouts, Inc:

"Has good top-end speed and adequate range...can pursue and get through traffic quickly with hands...breaks down in space, wraps upon contact, and is a reliable openfield tackler...non-stop motor...can cover kicks...more effective against run than pass...doesn't have much upside...lacks ideal lateral mobility...doesn't explode out of cuts...lacks cover skills to match up against most backs and TE's man-to-man...lacks bulk, OL engulf him at the point of attack...is vunerable to wearing down when consistently run at..."

Box_O_Rocks said:
This thread must be what it's like trying to open a store for the day after Thanksgiving shoppers...:eek:

Tackles on roster: Light, Gorin, Kaczur, O'Callaghan, Britt, Hand
Guards: Mankins, Neal, Hochstein, Mruczkowski, Yates, Stevenson, Barthelmes, Hand

But before we get too excited about swapping one of the tackles, where is our beloved Drew most susceptible to the pass rush? Those of you singing "Heh diddle diddle straight up the middle" get a gold star. If I recall correctly, Dallas was desperate enough last season to move one of their more functional tackles inside to protect Drew - of course this is my memory and I'm still looking for the mind I misplaced. As long as we're living in fantasy land, lets send Billy Yates home to Texas shore up their middle. If not, Britt and Hand are expendable, Gorin would be a show me the money deal if that was who they wanted. As much as he disappoints with his pass protection gaffes, he is still a proven game day commodity compared to O'Callaghan, and I expect him to start the season at RT, no matter who ends it.

The other side of the coin is that Dallas worked out Lincoln Kennedy, who hasn't played in two years, for tackle. You smell that? Whew...Desperation.

Greybrd said:
First, I just want to say hi to all you Patriots fans. I'm a Cowboy fan, visiting to get your take on this prospective trade. I won't be one of your regular visitors, but thought I would throw a couple things your way.
Thanks for stopping by! Remember to limit the facts in your post so as to not confuse the wet diaper crowd. :D

dryheat44 said:
The other side of the coin is that Dallas worked out Lincoln Kennedy, who hasn't played in two years, for tackle. You smell that? Whew...Desperation.
Mighty strong stench alright, okay, I'll settle for a 2nd for Gorin. :D

Greybrd said:

I think you have a good point about the middle. Rivera and Kosier are set, but the depth there is rookies or young guys yet to take a snap. Gurode backs up RG, but he's the only real experience there is at backup.

Another speculation has been NT, because Parcells isn't completely happy with the depth behind Ferguson. Not much experience at all.

We're generally satisfied with what we have starting at tackle, but the depth is still a concern because there's youth/inexperience there as well. When Jacob Rogers wimped away into the sunset and Adams went down last, we were left with a late round rookie at RT, and a UFA who played RG in college, then RT in 2004 moved to LT, where he'd never played. Right now we have Adams and Colombo who are trying to get back in the swing of things, Pettiti, who's improved and Fabini, who's been less than impressive. If we cut Fabini loose, we have Adams, Colombo, Pettiti, and the rook McQuistan who's been pretty good, but isn't ready to step in.

The players being "showcased" Saturday were Shanle and Kenyon Coleman, and it's thought they're the primary bait. They're looking at an extension for Bradie James, and Ayodele has been making a good adjustment inside. Shanle will never be a pro bowl player or anything but he doesn't make many mistakes at all, and he's a solid player. I like the kid, he always brings it 100% and I feel he's still got some upside. Not the sky's the limit mind you, but he hasn't reached full potential. He was thrown into the fire with little experience and responded well.

Coleman's a good player against the run, but he's not much of a pass rush threat. He can also play some tackle in a pinch. I highly doubt you all are interested regardless.

A wild, and I do mean wild card is Ellis. We've got a few guys who can play the strong side, so he may get his wish and be traded. He's 1st string over there but Carpenter was drafted to play there at some point, Singleton plays there and Junior Glymph has been playing there and has been coming on. We would still have Singleton to play there until the younger guys are ready, and Ellis' contract isn't prohibitive to a trade. Not saying it would happen, but who knows?

Oh, and no WRs looking for big extensions. We've already got you know who, and Terry Glenn signed an extension in the spring. Any WRs we do look at will likely be #3,#4 type guys.

Thanks for checking in. Gorin is great, very underrated. And you need a backup NT?

Check out Sullivan. Former first rounder, very low mileage. Mostly trips back and forth to the buffet table.:D

My 2 cents - it's Graham that the Tuna wants. Yeah, yeah, he just drafted Fasano, but that may be the point: Parcells wants a 'player' NOW so he can double the TE's and pound Barber and Jones more often, taking the pressure off Bledose and laying the groundwork for a grind-it-out-then-throw-the-bomb game plan the Tuna used to get Bledsoe to his first SB.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys, Cowboys fan checking in.

Just a couple of things that I saw in this thread that I wanted to comment on.

We will not trade Bradie James. He really stepped up last year, becoming the leader of that unit, he makes all the pre-snap defensive adjustments. Overall, he really came into his own on the field and most Cowboys fans would tell you that he has Pro Bowl potential. A guy like Gorin simply isn't enough to get someone of his caliber.

We also won't trade Akin Ayodele. He looks to be making a smooth transition from OLB in the 4-3 to ILB in the 3-4, and no way we pay and eat his signing bonus without him ever playing a regular season down for us.

Shanle is a solid player. Unfortunately for him, he has a very slim chance of making our team. I would honestly say that he is probably the 10th best LB on our team. Yes, we are that loaded at that position. As someone already said, he's not going to be a Pro Bowl player or be all over the field, but he will be good enough that you aren't watching and cursing his mistakes (except for a blown tackle that he had in Week 2 last year that led to the Redskins first TD in that disasterous MNF game, but that's a whole other story...:mad: )

What are your thoughts on Gorin? Is he capable of playing LT as well as RT?

Last edited by a moderator:
Brady'sButtBoy said:
My 2 cents - it's Graham that the Tuna wants. Yeah, yeah, he just drafted Fasano, but that may be the point: Parcells wants a 'player' NOW so he can double the TE's and pound Barber and Jones more often, taking the pressure off Bledose and laying the groundwork for a grind-it-out-then-throw-the-bomb game plan the Tuna used to get Bledsoe to his first SB.

The Cowboys also have Witten and Ryan Hannam (from the Seahawks). I doubt that Tuna is looking to double the TEs the way the Pats are looking.

Just talked to a close friend that has his ear to the team and belives that B. James isn't going anywhere..

edit: I forgot to add that he was shocked about them looking for OL. He thought they had good depth..

Last edited:
mcsully said:
Just talked to a close friend that has his ear to the team and belives that B. James isn't going anywhere..
That's because he isn't. Any sane Cowboys fan could tell you that.

eman721 said:
That's because he isn't. Any sane Cowboys fan could tell you that.

Unfort I don't have the opprotunity to watch them all the time. So I wasn't aware of how highly they had James rated..

mcsully said:
Unfort I don't have the opprotunity to watch them all the time. So I wasn't aware of how highly they had James rated..
Sorry, I didn't mean for my post to come off as hostile as it looked. :eat3:

I posted my thoughts on Bradie about 2 posts before yours, but you may have not read it.

dryheat44 said:

He's the one that contacted the Cowboys to gauge their interest, not the other way around. He didn't even work out. The tackle depth isn't terrible, but there's too much in the way of unknowns.

Will Pettiti take the next step and improve his pass protection?
Is Colombo recovered and can he get back into the swing of playing?
Is Adams' knee going to hold up?
Is Fabini fully recovered from that torn pectoral, and is he even worth keeping around?

After them there's two rooks, though one's starting to look like a keeper.

RayClay said:
Thanks for checking in. Gorin is great, very underrated. And you need a backup NT?

Check out Sullivan. Former first rounder, very low mileage. Mostly trips back and forth to the buffet table.:D

Our depth behind Ferguson is a 2nd year guy who was UFA out of Middle Tennessee St. who hasn't seen much PT, and hadn't played as a true NT until he got to Dallas. The other guy is a 6th round rookie from Louisville who also has never played the nose.

Actually, someone at one of the Cowboys boards mentioned Sullivan. I don't know myself. I haven't followed him much.

RayClay said:
Thanks for checking in. Gorin is great, very underrated.

Are you being facetious or are you deranged? IMO Gorin is, at best, adequate. But even if you think more highly of him than I, "great" is absurd. You're joking, right?

Let me re-state the following inanities:

The Pats dealing Branch.

The Cowboys dealing James.

The Cowboys dealing Carpenter (good LORD, you people).

The Patriots dealing O'Callaghan.

If this deal goes, it's Gorin for Shanle, almost surely. Those others are RIDICULOUS. Be serious.

Greybrd said:
Our depth behind Ferguson is a 2nd year guy who was UFA out of Middle Tennessee St. who hasn't seen much PT, and hadn't played as a true NT until he got to Dallas. The other guy is a 6th round rookie from Louisville who also has never played the nose.

Actually, someone at one of the Cowboys boards mentioned Sullivan. I don't know myself. I haven't followed him much.
I was pulling for the Pats to grab that 6th round rookie you got, such is life.

patsox23 said:
Let me re-state the following inanities:

The Pats dealing Branch.

The Cowboys dealing James.

The Cowboys dealing Carpenter (good LORD, you people).

The Patriots dealing O'Callaghan.

If this deal goes, it's Gorin for Shanle, almost surely. Those others are RIDICULOUS. Be serious.

But the ridiculous is so much fun to think about! Branch and O'Callaghan for TO and Carpenter! Belichick for Parcells! I'm on a freaking roll.....:singing:

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft