15. Joe Dumars, Detroit (NBA)
16. Carl Peterson, Kansas City (NFL)
17. Jim Rutherford, Carolina (NHL)
18. Dave Taylor, Los Angeles (NHL)
19. Rich McKay, Atlanta (NFL)
20. Scott Pioli, New England (NFL)

The link and article are as follows:
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=2788149

I guess you could argue that there's one or two better GMs in the NFL than Pioli, but 8?????

Talk about no respect!

i bolded all the guys that scott pioli is better then, and thats just the NFL...i didnt really bother trying to analyze the other sports...but i think SP is better then all those guys...ill tip my cap to Jerry Jones though

Jay Feaster? Yeah, that $6M for St. Louis, $6.8M for Lecavalier, and $7.6M(!) for Richards look real good right now.

The best NHL GM, Brian Burke, isn't even mentioned in this. Ridiculous.

you're high, he followed the pats blueprint so calling him down is the same as calling down your own organization.

it's not AJ's fault he had to deal with the antichrist of head coaches.

I am not saying he is the worst GM just that he isnt close to #1 in the NFL, and I named 4 guys who I think are better. Do you disagree with the four I mentioned and if you do please explain why you think he is better?

Last edited:
I am not saying he is the worst GM just that he isnt close to #1 in the NFL, and I named 4 guys who I think are better. Do you disagree with the four I mentioned and if you do please explain why you think he is better?
pioli and polian i can understand but newsome and figurehead from denver? we're talking about one guy who can't lock up his talent and another who isn't even really a GM, shanahan runs that show.

with all the cap problems denver always seems to have and the way they always have to trade and now signing graham at 5 year 30 mill 15 guaranteed? AJ smith is way better than that

the dude has gotten 27 guys locked up past 09.

Thanks. This thread makes me want to kill myself.

Guys, this is based on a formula (and a poor one at that IMO), not based on personal rankings. Its most heavily weighed based on how well a team does in respect to the previous GM. So because the TWolves had a winning % of .250 before McHale thats why he's the #1 GM. Its really a bad way to rank GMs but it is just a formula. Obviously its going to be completely wrong when you use a flawed formula to come up with the rankings.

Billy Beene the A's GM is ranked 26th. I am no an A's fan, and they don;t have the type of money the Yankees, Red Sox, Angels, and some other clubs have in baseball, but the A's for some weird reason always finds themselves in the playoffs, and that is some great work on him, and the managers he finds. Beene should be at least top 5.

My top 5 GMs would be
1. Billy Beene - A's(MLB)
2. Scott Pioli - Patriots(NFL)
3. Joe Dumars - Pistons(NBA)
4. Lou Lamoriello - Devils(NHL)
5. Donnie Nelson - Mavericks(NBA)

So the 20th ranked GM is the person who helped create the modern day blueprint that NFL teams are trying to emulate to acheive success! OK so long as I've got that straight.

Man, McHale has one of the best players in the league in KG, but can't even make the playoffs.
I think Forbes should stick to ranking more cut and dry stuff, like the richest people in the world, rather than giving their opinion.

i read the piece and the criteria were "performance vs. the performance of their predecessor, and payroll relative to the league median when compared to their predecessor" with a double weighting to the performance metric.

My conclusion is that this is sloppy analysis that's not worth the paper it's printed on.

My guess is that there's a pretty tight distribution around the median in terms of payroll in the NFL, so that statistic would be more or less meaningless. the metric has a bias towards small market teams and most of the GM's ahead of Pioli are generally from small markets (exceptions Chicago and Dallas). if they compared payroll to revenues, you'd have more large market teams move up the list and Pioli would move up.

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that they crunched the numbers on the W/L percentages correctly, but otherwise i'm not sure how valid the measure is given strength of schedule and how bad a team actually was under the "predecessor." I guess the fact that Pioli put together teams that won more championships than the six teams ahead of him COMBINED didn't count for much.

it's amazing that people manage to get paid for junk analysis like this.

Last edited:
I always thought Pioli was Vice President of Player Personnel!

SP only at n. 20 ???

I just think it is hilarious that their top 2 NBA GMs (#s 1 and 3 overall, no less) are 2 GMs the Sorts Guy routinely kills in his articles. They're easily 2 of the 3 worst GMs in the league. I have no clue how Isiah didn't make the top 10.

yeah I know, worthless analysis blah blah blah. I feel bad for the person/people who had to crunch these numbers, no doubt knowing just how pointless it was.

I'm sorry maybe I missed something when the #%@ did any of these stiffs EVER win a championship?? EVER??

Give me a break. This is ridiculous and WTF is with all the NHL GM's? How good can they be when they collectively destroyed the sport?

I'd wipe my ass with this but its not worthy.

1. Kevin McHale, Minnesota (NBA)
3. Billy King, Philadelphia (NBA)
4. A.J. Smith, San Diego (NFL)
6. Don Waddell, Atlanta (NHL)
7. Marty Hurney, Carolina (NFL)
8. Jerry Angelo, Chicago (NFL)
10. John Paxson Chicago (NBA)
11. Geoff Petrie Sacramento (NBA)
16. Carl Peterson, Kansas City (NFL)
17. Jim Rutherford, Carolina (NHL)
18. Dave Taylor, Los Angeles (NHL)
19. Rich McKay, Atlanta (NFL)