PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tom Martinez, Brady's Coach/Guru, is concerned...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarrylS

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Interesting take from Karen Guregian, hopefully he can overcome what is wrong and return to form.. even though where he is is not all that bad..

Guru speaks up - BostonHerald.com

Tom Martinez knows something is wrong with his star pupil. It jumps off the TV screen when he watches Tom Brady [stats] deliver the football.

And if the visuals and studying of replays weren’t enough evidence, Martinez received a phone call from the Patriots [team stats] quarterback last week, urging him to fly from the West Coast to help fix all the mechanical problems.

While one report has suggested Brady is suffering from a bone bruise near the elbow on his throwing arm, Martinez wouldn’t say definitively what the malady was, claiming the QB doesn’t discuss injuries with him, but that clearly a problem has been affecting passes.

It sounds like Brady is dealing with some pain in his throwing arm.

It sounds like Brady is dealing with some pain in his throwing arm.

that plus a bunch of stiffs at WR other than welker, who is more of a slot guy than a WR, would explain why he's holding onto the ball way too long.

Interesting...he's definately off at times but i'm sure having an actual WR would go along in fixing that problem. Every throw Brady makes has to be made into tight coverage these days so every throw has to be pinpoint accurate.

Thank god for that TE we have..that tall fellow.

Last edited:
As pointed out by Bedard, he does seem to have suffered and injury to his throwing arm, which I assume would impact his accuracy, velocity, etc.

I'm not going to pour over the numbers to look for clues but this is the problem when your QB is one of the most accurate passers in NFL history-his mediocre, marginal games are scrutinized like no one else's.

The pass to Woodhead on the goal line sticks out a little for me. If TB threw it so he would lead him to the front-corner, that would have been an easy TD. Instead, he threw it behind him and was ultimately broken up. Is the injury the root case for that particular throw being off the mark? Maybe.

What I do know it that for 6 straight weeks, TB has been playing defenses that either know their offensive system or are decent defenses in their own right that can get after the passer.

Last edited:
As pointed out by Bedard, he does seem to have suffered and injury to his throwing arm, which I assume would impact his accuracy, velocity, etc.

I'm not going to pour over the numbers to look for clues but this is the problem when your QB is one of the most accurate passers in NFL history-his mediocre, marginal games are scrutinized like no one else's.

The pass to Woodhead on the goal line sticks out a little for me. If TB threw it so he would lead him to the front-corner, that would have been an easy TD. Instead, he threw it behind him and was ultimately broken up. Is the injury the root case for that particular throw being off the mark? Maybe.

What I do know it that for 6 straight weeks, TB has been playing defenses that either know their offensive system or are decent defenses in their own right that can get after the passer.

I vote for Mechanics being the bigger problem over Injury.

Reason being that his 20-30 yard passes seem crisp and accurate, but he keeps throwing ground balls or wild pitches on the screens and dump offs. Watch any of the last 5 game films - - it's a stark difference.

The point of the article is that's not an either-or.

Injury leads you to change your mechanics.

Reason being that his 20-30 yard passes seem crisp and accurate, but he keeps throwing ground balls or wild pitches on the screens and dump offs. Watch any of the last 5 game films - - it's a stark difference.

While I have not watched the game films, I would agree that the passes that require a bit more touch are ones that he seems to have a little more difficulty executing..

Last edited:
The point of the article is that's not an either-or.

Injury leads you to change your mechanics.

I never said it was either-or.

Yes, the injury could very well be affecting those shorter passes more than it affects the longer ones.

But, he's not asking an ailing Tom Martinez to fly cross country because Mr. Martinez is an orthopedic doctor.

Last edited:

Well the guru is watching and he seems to disagree with you as to cause and effect.

I appreciate Martinez, wish him a full recovery and a long life, just getting a little tired of his increasing need to talk about his own significance in Tommy's life... We get it. He's built a nice little cottage industry out of it.

Well the guru is watching and he seems to disagree with you as to cause and effect.

I appreciate Martinez, wish him a full recovery and a long life, just getting a little tired of his increasing need to talk about his own significance in Tommy's life... We get it. He's built a nice little cottage industry out of it.

It's BRADY who talks about him all the time. Martinez is just interested in making it to another day. In fact, he's turned down many request from #12 earlier in the year to fly out to NE. Last I read, Martinez has surprisingly defied the doctors' prognoses (at least for a time) and has been able to rally a bit.

Last edited:
A few factoids about Tom Martinez that might be of interest: He has the most wins in community college football history at the College of San Mateo and was the 1995 California Community Coach of the Year. He's also in the CA State Basketball Coaches Hall of Fame.

He worked with John Elway as a throwing coach, Brady, Matt Cassell and Jamarcus Russell, at the insistence of Al Davis.

In June 2011, Martinez, a brittle diabetic, was given a month to live, but seems to have improved.

See: http://www.footballuniversity.org/66

Last edited:
I'm not going to pour over the numbers

Definition of PORE
intransitive verb
: to gaze intently
: to read or study attentively —usually used with over
: to reflect or meditate steadily

:rolleyes:

It's BRADY who talks about him all the time. Martinez is just interested in making it to another day. In fact, he's turned down many request from #12 earlier in the year to fly out to NE. Last I read, Martinez has surprisingly defied the doctors' prognoses (at least for a time) and has been able to rally a bit.

Brady doesn't talk about him all the time. He does give him tons of credit when the subject comes up. Martinez rallied after some of his well heeled connections got on the horn and got him second and third opinions and treatment from more aggressive facilities. I'll bet you Tom was one if not the driving force among those connections... Martinex doesn't have to take Guregian's calls. But he seems to like to be consulted...

Definition of PORE
intransitive verb
: to gaze intently
: to read or study attentively —usually used with over
: to reflect or meditate steadily

:rolleyes:
Well done. You win today's Pedant of the Day award. Have a coconut :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Well done. You win today's Pedant of the Day award. Have a coconut :rolleyes:

Apparently, we've reached the point where correcting egregious spelling and grammar errors is pedantry. Perhaps grunting and pointing would be a more optimal form of communication? :cool:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents