PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tom Curran: Patriots used the Colts game to experiment with players

Status
Not open for further replies.
UNFORTUNATELY THERE ARE STYLE POINTS......

BOTH RAVENS (+7) and SQUEELERS (+21) made up ground on the SOV tiebreaker on Pats last night. Houston maintained being IN FRONT OF PATS on SOV tiebreaker.

We dont have enough common games and everybody who can tie with Pats is going to have the same # of AFC wins. SOV is going to be the dealbreaker (except for a 2-way H-H w/ Pitt).

Do you know what "strength of victory" is? It has NOTHING to do with "margin of victory".

SOV is simply the combined record of all the teams you beat (if you beat the same team twice, their record counts twice). A 1-point win counts the same as a 59-point win.

Last edited:
its pretty obvious that they were experimenting...the offense was doing it in the first quarter...running Faulk/Ridley and throwing a deep pass to Branch when you have 3rd and 1.

does anyone think we have Niko whatever his name is and Slater out there in an important game?

An interesting theory. Not sure I buy that he would risk a regular season game like that but it's definitely possible. Some pretty good evidence to support it. Thanks Robo.

Very fun to think about!

Yeah, what was Belichick going to do? Say the Colts aren't that good and he was going to experiment with a bunch of back up with some of them never having played the position they played today? Curran make a far bigger deal that Belichick talked the Colts up too much (he talks up every team they face), but it seems pretty clear that Belichick used this game as a trial run for some players. It is good because now we know that Slater can play safety. We now know McDonald can play center. We know Nate Jones can be a reserve CB.

While no one knows what's going on in Belichick's head, I think everyone can see a wide discrepancy between what he said and what he did - treating the game like a pre-season game in some respects.

My interpretation of this is that Belichick's actions were openly mocking the Colts and telling the NFL that he believes the Colts were purposefully tanking the season.

In a way this is also mocking Goodell who is turning a blind eye to the actions of the Colts to use the "opportunity" of being without Manning to grab the next franchise QB

I still don't expect that Belichick is happy with the 4th Q performance of the offense or the defense in letting the game get that close - but Belichick can also tell the guys in the locker room that he's preparing them for the playoff stretch by giving backups time with starters

So ultimately, as far as the players should be concerned, the answer is yes - Belichick WAS mocking the Colts and Goodell - AND trying to give his team the best chance to win in the long-term as well.

While no one knows what's going on in Belichick's head, I think everyone can see a wide discrepancy between what he said and what he did - treating the game like a pre-season game in some respects.

My interpretation of this is that Belichick's actions were openly mocking the Colts and telling the NFL that he believes the Colts were purposefully tanking the season.

In a way this is also mocking Goodell who is turning a blind eye to the actions of the Colts to use the "opportunity" of being without Manning to grab the next franchise QB
I still don't expect that Belichick is happy with the 4th Q performance of the offense or the defense in letting the game get that close - but Belichick can also tell the guys in the locker room that he's preparing them for the playoff stretch by giving backups time with starters

So ultimately, as far as the players should be concerned, the answer is yes - Belichick WAS mocking the Colts and Goodell - AND trying to give his team the best chance to win in the long-term as well.

BB would totally take any opportunity he could to, in his own little way ;), put something in Goodell's face. I'm sure he took the opportunity to put players in different positions too, he's always liked doing that and this game was a great chance for him to do it. Except for the 4th quarter let-down it was probably BB's favorite game :D

I'm sorry but early on i did. I don't think BB felt that the Colts were much of a threat, after all they haven't won a game all year. Therefore he could take chances with personel he wouldn't normally take.I read he gave several starters an extra week of rest. But in the end it almost came back to bit him. The colts gained some confidence and got into a zone in the fourth quarter after the pats built a Very comfortable lead.....It happens.

Kouivudes (sorry sp) played the other week, So has Special teamer Tracey White. Sterling Moore came right off the practice squad to start at safety. He didn't decide to try a college QB at CB this week. Played Carter and Anderson together with Deaderick at tackle in situations he never did before against the Jets.

Anytime Molden plays is still a damn experiment until proven otherwise IMO. What's different about this game? Was he toying with teams when he cut Meriweather and sanders and started ihedigbo? He's experimenting every game to find combinations in the secondary and front seven he can use in the playoffs.

That's a lot differen than a Borges like, butthurt article implying that BB is disrespecting the lead. He's understaffed in experience and proven ability on defense, so he's going to try everything he can and he's been doing it in the big games too!

What's wrong with using players and keeping it lively? Of course he knows he has an unexciting schedule remaining. Good time to use different combinations.

Here's Curran's lead...
The Patriots didn’t take the Indianapolis Colts seriously.

In fact, they were so amused by the 0-11 Colts ineptitude that they stuck a wide receiver/kick coverage guy at safety for the day

Wow. They used a Sp teamer listed as a WR/S when he was drafted, at safety.

Now they threw in a Jets career special teamer at safety, a Raiders castoff corner, who'd never played as a starting safety and a punt returner/WR college quarterback in at corner. where the mocking all those teams? m No one thinks, with the bodies we have, that Slater might be useful there?

Did people watch the same game i did, with Indy marching down the field and their QB making all the throws. That didn't look like chuckling coming fom BB, he was pissed and chewing out people.

Fortunately, the colts D sucked, but we had our best players on offense and a lot of combos on D, same as every game. Of course maybe BB's mellowed and just takes games for granted now.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::bricks:

Last edited:
im not sure how anyone could argue otherwise...even on offense..the first posession has the pats running Faulk and on 3rd-1 brady is throwing a deep bomb pass to branch.

the pats didnt take the colts seriously IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore