PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tom and Giselle hob nob with fans at "Concussion" the movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Concussion was excellent. The clinical detail was extraordinary for a film like this. I also did not know that the NFL sent the FBI after Dr. Bennett Omalu's boss in the wake of the journal article on CTE being published. The charges were dropped.

The parallels with Delategate were most interesting, and the movie did not back off from showing Goodell and the NFL as a corrupt organization that goes to any length to ignore the truth and destroy people for their own purposes.

I'm sure Giselle is going to keep a close eye on Tom if he suffers a concussion. I found myself thinking about Wes Welker when they showed clips of players getting blown up.

Go see it. Alec Baldwin, Will Smith, and Albert Brooks were superb.

I read where they completely fabricated and screwed the memory of Dave Duerson.

The Director defended that as "emotionally and spiritually accurate".

Sorry. That completely soured any chance of me seeing this movie. I hope the Duerson family takes all the profits from this movie.

The story is fascinating enough in its true form without having to make things up. it takes away from the credibility. Same with so many of those Oliver Stone films. The truth is the truth.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/17/s...smears-dave-duerson-his-family-says.html?_r=0

".....The film’s director, Peter Landesman, defended it on Wednesday.

“As we were making a feature film and not a documentary, and it’s not a Wikipedia entry, people go to movies not to digest information and data but to have an emotional experience,” Landesman said. “The movie is emotionally and spiritually accurate all the way through.....”

Seriously? Like a pirated version?
I hope not. Just wait for video..."stealing" it will not do you, the movie, or most importantly the people who put their heart and soul into making it any service.

I hardly think that Disney, or anyone associated with Star Wars is going to lose some of those billions because I might decide to watch it free. Besides, I'm providing a service to the consumer. If a movie is any good I'll spread the word for them free of charge, like I have about the Netflix documentary "Making a Murderer", the greatest thing that I've ever seen on film... EVAH! If it's not so good, like The Hateful Eight, I'll spread that word too.

Answer:
Star Wars, Probably
Hoi Polloi, definitely not
Interesting OT conversations, highly unlikely​

Question: Are you likely to find these things in a Jets fan forum? Must be my "inferiority complex" being a native New Englander hard at work :D.

Not sure if I were a football player that I would bring my wife to this movie.. as it could bring the predictable, "honey be careful" to a new and different level..

"Honey Be Careful!!!!!!"
And the Mrs. might ask..."Honey....why are you only taking half salary to get you brain squished?"

I know
Note of interest, at least to me.

Parts of Miss Congeniality was filmed at Samsung Austin Semiconductor, just before I began work there.

In the scene where Benjamin Bratt is putting digital bikinis on Ernie Hudson and everyone is standing around laughing at it, the laughing guys are all co-workers who got to be in the movie.

Regarding Sandra Bullock, my co-workers said she wasn't particularly friendly, but they all loved her stunt double.

I know that building. Right off of Parmer. I used to work for Dell.

Bullock is from Austin.

My buddy sat next to her on a flight. Said she was kinda *****y.

Actually, RayClay is wrong. "Hoi polloi" is, literally, "the people". So you can't hob-nob with the "hoi polloi". I wouldn't have pointed it out, but shame on you PFVa -- nothing worse than a pedant making a mistake, you know!

I don't speak Greek, Mike, so I'm puzzled. This bothers me because I hate for anybody to be more pedantic than me.

If I say in English, for example, that Tom Brady is comfortable with rubbing shoulders with "the people," is that a construction that leaves you grasping for the true meaning?

"The people" is used interchangeably with "The masses" in English - or, to be truly pedantic, "The masses who are not the elite," since the elite, thrown into a great surging throng, would add to its size, and so could be said to be "part of the masses" if we torture grammar enough to elicit this interpretation.

In any event, I have never read or heard hoi polloi, in English, used to connote "the entire people without regard to class." Its use in English either correctly correlates with the above English use of "the people" or "the masses" -- that is, with the understood omission of the elites -- or incorrectly correlates with the elite... the opposite of what hoi polloi means, as an English expression.

Are you saying that hoi polloi, in Greek, is simply a universal term?

Are you contending that it was ever used in this way in English?

I know

Bullock is from Austin.

When I lived in Austin i drove a van for SXSW as a volunteer. Word was, she and McConaghey were extremely loud and rude at a parking garage. For what it's worth.

That was, without Peer, the most shameless Regurgitation ever.

Ever.

But at least there was no JaJa Binks. :rolleyes:

Red Letter Media Star Wars: Episode 1 – The Phantom Menace :
I went to the first Star Wars movie back in the 70's. I went with a date early in our relationship. I remember liking the movie a lot, but the most memorable part of that evening was the sex I had with my future wife. ;) The next 3 were entertaining even if they were intellectually disappointing. Here is my review of the start of this trilogy.

1. I went on a Tuesday afternoon figuring there wouldn't be too many people there. It was packed, and I was lucky to find a seat. Overall I like the movie a lot and saw it as a vast improvement over the last 3 pictures. How's that for a short and concise review.

But here is the real reason for my post, the previews. I couldn't help but notice that EVERY one of the 6 previews before the picture started were for films that were about a future Earth either attacked by aliens or bad guys and the Earth is a dystopian wasteland that someone is trying to either survive or save. All 6 previews peddled noting but fear and devastation about a future world on the verge of destruction.

What is up with that. I was sitting next to a mother who brought her kids (I guess around 9-11) and couldn't help wonder about the message that was being drilled into their minds. I made a comment to her and she agreed.

I know this is totally OT, but since Star Wars was being talked about I thought I'd throw this out there.

I don't speak Greek, Mike, so I'm puzzled. This bothers me because I hate for anybody to be more pedantic than me.

If I say in English, for example, that Tom Brady is comfortable with rubbing shoulders with "the people," is that a construction that leaves you grasping for the true meaning?

"The people" is used interchangeably with "The masses" in English - or, to be truly pedantic, "The masses who are not the elite," since the elite, thrown into a great surging throng, would add to its size, and so could be said to be "part of the masses" if we torture grammar enough to elicit this interpretation.

In any event, I have never read or heard hoi polloi, in English, used to connote "the entire people without regard to class." Its use in English either correctly correlates with the above English use of "the people" or "the masses" -- that is, with the understood omission of the elites -- or incorrectly correlates with the elite... the opposite of what hoi polloi means, as an English expression.

He's using that damned Oxford Dictionary!:D

I read where they completely fabricated and screwed the memory of Dave Duerson.

The Director defended that as "emotionally and spiritually accurate".

Sorry. That completely soured any chance of me seeing this movie. I hope the Duerson family takes all the profits from this movie.

The story is fascinating enough in its true form without having to make things up. it takes away from the credibility. Same with so many of those Oliver Stone films. The truth is the truth.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/17/s...smears-dave-duerson-his-family-says.html?_r=0

".....The film’s director, Peter Landesman, defended it on Wednesday.

“As we were making a feature film and not a documentary, and it’s not a Wikipedia entry, people go to movies not to digest information and data but to have an emotional experience,” Landesman said. “The movie is emotionally and spiritually accurate all the way through.....”

I look at Wikipedia more as a fictional film than a documentary. Once I found out that originally, only 1 person out of the 9 who brought it into the world checked the content, I stopped looking at it as a source of truthful information. Then when Roger Goodell had his employment history altered right before my eyes that cemented my feeling about it.

I spent 2 years watching one tv show that started every single episode with the claim that it was a true story, all of the events took place blah blah blah, and soon I saw by the content that, like everything made in Hollyweird, it was a lie and their interest was more aimed at altering the truth for the people watching, in spite of the false claim that Landesman makes about his film.

I don't want to get too far off topic, but I could give hundreds of examples of lies that I see in shows that call themselves truth.

I know

Bullock is from Austin.

Kinda like the flight I was on with her. She was hitting on me something fierce. Kept telling her I'm married.

When I lived in Austin i drove a van for SXSW as a volunteer. Word was, she and McConaghey were extremely loud and rude at a parking garage. For what it's worth.
I heard that story.

The future ain't what it used to be, Ken

He's using that damned Oxford Dictionary!:D

It's not the size of the quote, it's the mutation of the connotation.

On a related note, I too have a big dictionary, but you gotta know how to use it.

I went to the first Star Wars movie back in the 70's. I went with a date early in our relationship. I remember liking the movie a lot, but the most memorable part of that evening was the sex I had with my future wife. ;) The next 3 were entertaining even if they were intellectually disappointing. Here is my review of the start of this trilogy.

1. I went on a Tuesday afternoon figuring there wouldn't be too many people there. It was packed, and I was lucky to find a seat. Overall I like the movie a lot and saw it as a vast improvement over the last 3 pictures. How's that for a short and concise review.

But here is the real reason for my post, the previews. I couldn't help but notice that EVERY one of the 6 previews before the picture started were for films that were about a future Earth either attacked by aliens or bad guys and the Earth is a dystopian wasteland that someone is trying to either survive or save. All 6 previews peddled noting but fear and devastation about a future world on the verge of destruction.

What is up with that. I was sitting next to a mother who brought her kids (I guess around 9-11) and couldn't help wonder about the message that was being drilled into their minds. I made a comment to her and she agreed.

I know this is totally OT, but since Star Wars was being talked about I thought I'd throw this out there.

This is a topic that is as near and dear to my heart as any, but any discussion of it here will lead to complete and utter destruction of this thread. Let's just say that Hollyweird has an agenda, and it can be seen in various ways in just about everything they produce.

Here's some vintage Star Wars for ya, Ken.
10 vintage photos of you-know-who in the Jabba The Hut slavegirl bikini...

(Apologies to Off The Grid who has a perverse preference for Jar Jar Binks)

Props to the always interesting Instapundit

Don't you dare judge our Love, Mistah Pissah.
harumph.gif

Me sa hit that
Here's some vintage Star Wars for ya, Ken.
10 vintage photos of you-know-who in the Jabba The Hut slavegirl bikini...

Props to the always interesting Instapundit

See post #48, quoted below. (Sorry, I've no idea why I'm in such a pedantic mood today. Only 40 minutes to kick-off!)

Sorry, Ray, but "Hoi" (οἱ) means "the" and "Polloi" (πολλοί) means "many". So hobnobbing with "the hoi polloi" would be hobnobbing with "the the masses".

It's like "Please RSVP" -- which is "Please reply, please".

I look at Wikipedia more as a fictional film than a documentary. Once I found out that originally, only 1 person out of the 9 who brought it into the world checked the content, I stopped looking at it as a source of truthful information. Then when Roger Goodell had his employment history altered right before my eyes that cemented my feeling about it.

I spent 2 years watching one tv show that started every single episode with the claim that it was a true story, all of the events took place blah blah blah, and soon I saw by the content that, like everything made in Hollyweird, it was a lie and their interest was more aimed at altering the truth for the people watching, in spite of the false claim that Landesman makes about his film.

I don't want to get too far off topic, but I could give hundreds of examples of lies that I see in shows that call themselves truth.

So it's ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back