PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tom and Giselle hob nob with fans at "Concussion" the movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know.....I liked the new movie. I'm no Star Wars expert or anything, the only reason I went to see it was because the kids wanted to go. But I thought the story was interesting and the effects were great. It left me wanting to see the next one when it comes out.

Oh, I don't mean to diss it entirely, speaking for myself: The Regurgitation was shameless ~ well beyond any thing like an Homage ~ but I agree that it was an entertaining and engaging Movie.

Concussion was excellent. The clinical detail was extraordinary for a film like this. I also did not know that the NFL sent the FBI after Dr. Bennett Omalu's boss in the wake of the journal article on CTE being published. The charges were dropped.

The parallels with Delategate were most interesting, and the movie did not back off from showing Goodell and the NFL as a corrupt organization that goes to any length to ignore the truth and destroy people for their own purposes.

I'm sure Giselle is going to keep a close eye on Tom if he suffers a concussion. I found myself thinking about Wes Welker when they showed clips of players getting blown up.

Go see it. Alec Baldwin, Will Smith, and Albert Brooks were superb.

I think this was Giselle's idea.

She may want TB to stop head butting his players (keep him around for the long term).

could be they are friends with Will Smith? Is that kid in the picture wearing a Browns shirt?

My lucky sweatshirt for the Pats is a Browns one from the Pats 2000 visit to Cleveland. The Pats and Belichick were humiliated that day, but I decided that I wanted a keepsake from that game anyway. During the 2001 playoffs I was wearing that sweatshirt and the Pats went on to win the SB, so I decided that it might be lucky.

And then, the Pats won another SB. And then another. And pretty soon that sweatshirt had an incredibly good record, especially in the playoffs where it was undefeated, just like Tommy LomBrady. I kept thinking that the sweatshirt was like Belichick, and that it had great success when it left to come to NE.

But then I misplaced it some time after the 2004 SB season and didn't have it for any of the playoff and SB losses. I actually thought that it was probably placed in the bag with the old clothes that went to Goodwill and I soon forgot about it.

And then I found it last year, hiding deep in the back of a very long closet and put it on again for the playoffs. We all know what happened then.

Concussion was excellent. The clinical detail was extraordinary for a film like this. I also did not know that the NFL sent the FBI after Dr. Bennett Omalu's boss in the wake of the journal article on CTE being published. The charges were dropped.

The parallels with Delategate were most interesting, and the movie did not back off from showing Goodell and the NFL as a corrupt organization that goes to any length to ignore the truth and destroy people for their own purposes.

I'm sure Giselle is going to keep a close eye on Tom if he suffers a concussion. I found myself thinking about Wes Welker when they showed clips of players getting blown up.

Go see it. Alec Baldwin, Will Smith, and Albert Brooks were superb.

It's downloading as I type this.

Plus he got beat up by a girl.

:p

That happens all the time in Hollyweird. My favorite was in the show The Americans, when two 6"2" 200 lb male FBI agents come up behind the 5'5" 120 lb Russian woman spy and instead of getting the best of her, they get the **** beat out of them. She throws a little makeup on her bruises and one of the agents is in bandages for the next two episodes.

Very nice. In this case, they were hob nobbing with the Hoi polloi.

Thank you for understanding your greek terms for classes.

If I had a drachma for every time somebody thought used "hoi polloi" to mean the snooty crowd, I'd have I dunno a lot of drachmas. Or drachmae. Or whatever.

Actually, RayClay is wrong. "Hoi polloi" is, literally, "the people". So you can't hob-nob with the "hoi polloi". I wouldn't have pointed it out, but shame on you PFVa -- nothing worse than a pedant making a mistake, you know!

That happens all the time in Hollyweird. My favorite was in the show The Americans, when two 6"2" 200 lb male FBI agents come up behind the 5'5" 120 lb Russian woman spy and instead of getting the best of her, they get the **** beat out of them. She throws a little makeup on her bruises and one of the agents is in bandages for the next two episodes.
Yea I know. My comment was tongue in cheek.

Watched Miss Congeniality last night. I'd be ok if Sandra Bullock beat me up...:D

My lucky sweatshirt for the Pats is a Browns one from the Pats 2000 visit to Cleveland. The Pats and Belichick were humiliated that day, but I decided that I wanted a keepsake from that game anyway. During the 2001 playoffs I was wearing that sweatshirt and the Pats went on to win the SB, so I decided that it might be lucky.

And then, the Pats won another SB. And then another. And pretty soon that sweatshirt had an incredibly good record, especially in the playoffs where it was undefeated, just like Tommy LomBrady. I kept thinking that the sweatshirt was like Belichick, and that it had great success when it left to come to NE.

But then I misplaced it some time after the 2004 SB season and didn't have it for any of the playoff and SB losses. I actually thought that it was probably placed in the bag with the old clothes that went to Goodwill and I soon forgot about it.

And then I found it last year, hiding deep in the back of a very long closet and put it on again for the playoffs. We all know what happened then.

My NYC cousins sent me an 18–1 T-shirt right after the first Giants Super Bowl to rub it in my face. I didn't wear it.
Then when the second Giants Super Bowl came around, I wore it under my patriots jersey in an effort to exorcise those demons. That was the West Welker drop game. I'm afraid to wear that shirt ever again.

Seriously? Like a pirated version?
I hope not. Just wait for video..."stealing" it will not do you, the movie, or most importantly the people who put their heart and soul into making it any service.

Don't let Goodell catch you. It'll cost the Patriots a couple of draft picks and Ian will get a 4-game suspension.

My NYC cousins sent me an 18–1 T-shirt right after the first Giants Super Bowl to rub it in my face. I didn't wear it.
Then when the second Giants Super Bowl came around, I wore it under my patriots jersey in an effort to exorcise those demons. That was the West Welker drop game. I'm afraid to wear that shirt ever again.

That t-shirt is why God invented fire.

Yea I know. My comment was tongue in cheek.

Watched Miss Congeniality last night. I'd be ok if Sandra Bullock beat me up...:D

Note of interest, at least to me.

Parts of Miss Congeniality was filmed at Samsung Austin Semiconductor, just before I began work there.

In the scene where Benjamin Bratt is putting digital bikinis on Ernie Hudson and everyone is standing around laughing at it, the laughing guys are all co-workers who got to be in the movie.

Regarding Sandra Bullock, my co-workers said she wasn't particularly friendly, but they all loved her stunt double.

Actually, RayClay is wrong. "Hoi polloi" is, literally, "the people". So you can't hob-nob with the "hoi polloi". I wouldn't have pointed it out, but shame on you PFVa -- nothing worse than a pedant making a mistake, you know!

Don't get into a nerd fight with an ex librarian.

Although hobnobbing with the upper classes is the usual meaning, any friendly conversation is a hob nob,per Dic.com [Random house]. The hoi polloi are the masses, or common people, by usage.

Tom is most definitely hobnobbing with the hoi polloi.

Word definitions are not limited to the meaning in ancient Greek, they change by usage and changed meanings are recorded in American and English dictionaries.

Dic.com [Random House]

hobnob

1. to associate on very friendly terms (usually followed by with):
She often hobnobs with royalty.
Archaic. to drink together.
noun
a friendly, informal chat.

Hoi Polloi

plural noun
the common people; the masses (often preceded by the).

Last edited:
Thank you for understanding your greek terms for classes.

If I had a drachma for every time somebody thought used "hoi polloi" to mean the snooty crowd, I'd have I dunno a lot of drachmas. Or drachmae. Or whatever.

Hoi polloi is mostly used incorrectly as the opposite of it's actual meaning [upper, vs lower classes]. I learned it by misusing it myself.:D

I'm on the other side of that. My Browns friend and I have been teasing each other for decades. In the late 80's and early 90's I would call him and when he answered I'd simply say "Ernest Byner" and then hang up. And now I get to remind him that the Brown's sweatshirt that I bought in 2000 while attending a game in Cleveland with him is now the luckiest piece of clothing in NFL history.

Hoi polloi is mostly used incorrectly as the opposite of it's actual meaning [upper, vs lower classes]. I learned it by misusing it myself.:D

I've learned a lot through "oopsies." As William Blake put it, "The cut worm forgives the plow."

Don't get into a nerd fight with an ex librarian.

Although hobnobbing with the upper classes is the usual meaning, any friendly conversation is a hob nob,per Dic.com [Random house]. The hoi polloi are the masses, or common people, by usage.

Sorry, Ray, but "Hoi" (οἱ) means "the" and "Polloi" (πολλοί) means "many". So hobnobbing with "the hoi polloi" would be hobnobbing with "the the masses".

It's like "Please RSVP" -- which is "Please reply, please".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back