PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

TNF: Buffalo @ Miami

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that MIA has a tough enough defense, that they could certainly compete for a WC spot if they're able to continue their momentum and "team" kind of play.

They are basically a last second play at DET away from being 7-3, even though I agree with some of what you say for sure. That said, I'd hate to see us lose a game or two, and have them hanging around come 12/14 when they meet again. Unfortunately, there is a decent possibility of that happening.

Ultimately, I think you're right that they do go very far, but my concern is them hanging around, I suppose.

They would have also beaten the Packers if they hadn't fallen prey to a fake spike. They are unspectacular but good. At the moment, I would say Tannehill's scrambling has been the most effective of all the mobile qbs this season. Do not sleep on this team. I will not be shocked whatsover if they beat the Broncos next week.

And that's happened about a bajillion times in football. The Patriots settled for 2 field goals on their first two drives against the Broncos, for crying out loud, while the Broncos began with a pair of 3-and-out drives.

People were overdoing it, IMO, and I'm someone who's been talking about Orton's red zone problems for a while now.

When two teams combine for 9 points in a half, their offenses are struggling. Maybe not to move the ball, but certainly to turn yards into points.

A 16-play drive that ends in a FG is fine when you're trying to put a game away, but not so much when it's 3 all.

They would have also beaten the Packers if they hadn't fallen prey to a fake spike. They are unspectacular but good. At the moment, I would say Tannehill's scrambling has been the most effective of all the mobile qbs this season. Do not sleep on this team. I will not be shocked whatsover if they beat the Broncos next week.

Yeah, good point. Forgot about that Packers game. Wow. Their defense is allowing them to hang around.

I think that MIA has a tough enough defense, that they could certainly compete for a WC spot if they're able to continue their momentum and "team" kind of play.

They are basically a last second play at DET away from being 7-3, even though I agree with some of what you say for sure. That said, I'd hate to see us lose a game or two, and have them hanging around come 12/14 when they meet again. Unfortunately, there is a decent possibility of that happening.

Ultimately, I think you're right that they do not go very far, but my concern is them hanging around, I suppose.

If Miami somehow goes through @Den, @NYJ, Balt unscathed, they would need NE to lose one of their next three for the rematch to mean anything. And even if NE loses two of their next three, beating Miami (extremely likely given what I've seen from both teams) would remove their H2H advantage and put NE up by a game with two to go.

I'm aware of Miami's strengths and it is still very possible that they are a playoff team, but barring a complete collapse on NE's part, the Dolphins have about a 5% chance to stealing the division.

If Miami somehow goes through @Den, @NYJ, Balt unscathed, they would need NE to lose one of their next three for the rematch to mean anything. And even if NE loses two of their next three, beating Miami (extremely likely given what I've seen from both teams) would remove their H2H advantage and put NE up by a game with two to go.

I'm aware of Miami's strengths and it is still very possible that they are a playoff team, but barring a complete collapse on NE's part, the Dolphins have about a 5% chance to stealing the division.

A complete collapse? Colts, Lions, Packers, and Chargers are no gimmes, they are all legitimate teams. Plus, we end the season with 3 division games, right now everyone is like "Oh, they will be easy it's MIA/NYJ/BUF" .... but then once game week comes, everyone says "division games are always tough, all 3 teams always play us tough". The Dolphins already beat us this season, they will be fighting for their lives, I don't really think that game is as clear cut as you make it seem.

- The Dolphins are already finished with Packers, Chargers, and Lions
- The rest of their season isn't really that hard, at least it shouldn't be for a team that wants to go far in playoffs
- They don't have to play the Colts

Also, just something I've noticed on this board ... it's quite interesting how when the Pat's play on TNF and do something poor it's because of a "short week", but when all the other teams who play on TNF do something poor it's because they are "bad".

Last edited:
That was a terrible game, long drives ending in FG, fumble, the second half was a little better. Orton was too conservative with the ball, no play action, only 5 yards passes, awful.

A complete collapse? Colts, Lions, Packers, and Chargers are no gimmes, they are all legitimate teams. Plus, we end the season with 3 division games, right now everyone is like "Oh, they will be easy it's MIA/NYJ/BUF" .... but then once game week comes, everyone is like "division games are always tough, all 3 teams always play us tough". The Dolphins already beat us this season, they will be fighting for their lives, I don't really think that game is as clear cut as you make it seem.

- The Dolphins are already finished with Packers, Chargers, and Lions
- The rest of their season isn't really that hard, at least it shouldn't be for a team that wants to go far in playoffs
- They don't have to play the Colts

Also, just something I've noticed on this board ... it's quite interesting how when the Pat's play on TNF and do something poor it's because of a "short week", but when all the other teams who play on TNF do something poor it's because they are "bad".

You can exaggerate my post - even going so far as to insert comments I didn't make - but I stand by my contention that Miami is not a threat to win the AFCE.

Last edited:

pats_fan.jpg

"Dude, that is so totally BOGUS... dunno 'bout these OTHER guys, but I am 100% unbiased and objective. Can't you tell by the dancing Patriots logo right below me?" :D

pats_fan.jpg

"Dude, that is so totally BOGUS... dunno 'bout these OTHER guys, but I am 100% unbiased and objective. Can't you tell by the dancing Patriots logo right below me?" :D

hahaha :D :D

You can exaggerate my post - even going so far as to insert comments I didn't make - but I stand by my contention that Miami is not a threat to win the AFCE.

Sorry, just the majority of posts I've seen tonight. You did say "beating Miami (extremely likely given what I've seen from both teams)" .. I take it as you also think NYJ/BUF games will be pushovers?

Sorry, just the majority of posts I've seen tonight. You did say "beating Miami (extremely likely given what I've seen from both teams)" .. I take it as you also think NYJ/BUF games will be pushovers?

Both of those games at home will be easier than beating the Jets in Joisey...that's my prediction and I'm sticking with it.

If forced to predict, I think Buffalo will be a relatively easy win. They'll likely be a few weeks removed from playoff elimination and NE always handles them the second time around. They might throw a first half scare in before rolling over in the second half (like 2011), but I doubt that game will come down to the wire.

As for Miami, they'll still be in the thick of things, but these two teams have a long track record of dramatic shifts in quality of play based on locale. Even more so when the Miami game is in early and NE is late. I also don't think he first match has any predictive ability when you consider that, sans RB, every position on the team is playing better now than they were then; most substantially so. Could it be close? Sure, but I still see NE winning that game 8 out of 10 times.

"Collapse" may have been too strong a word, but under the assumption that NE beats Miami, then the Patriots could lose three of their next four games - with Miami winning every game here on out except in Foxboro - and NE would still hold the AFCE tiebreaker with a better division record.

Of course, if Miami wins, then any other loss along the way hands control to the Dolphins. But even that scenario requires that Miami wins out, and I consider them underdogs in three of their next four games (@Den, Bal, @NE).

The only real monkey wrench in my plans is the Jets. NE can afford to lose to any of the upcoming teams (for division purposes only, of course, a loss to Indy would make earning a bye difficult), but NY is always a tough matchup and a loss to them would potentially give Miami the tiebreaker again. The good thing is, Miami also faces NY twice and their history with the Jets is as checkered as NE's is.

Ultimately, Miami would need to start playing a lot better than they have lately or NE would need to revert back to their early season form. I don't see either happening, which is why I don't fear the Dolphins.

Technically the Bills are still "in the hunt". But come on...they play AT Patriots, AT Broncos, Packers, Browns... (how could you not love the Browns right now? Want them to win that division so bad. Sick of the Steelers/Ravens)

And their conference record is: 2-5, Dolphins is 5-2. Bills lost to Chiefs, Patriots, Chargers, Texans. They have no tiebreakers. They'd need all or most of those teams to collapse. No chance.

The Bills, sadly, are toast. They are now my official Binkie in every game they play except the one at Gillette in December. Next up for the Bills are the Jets.

The Bills are one of those decent teams that is not quite ready for prime time that can throw a monkey wrench into the works of playoff contenders. The Denver Broncos host the Bills between a road game at KC and a road game at San Diego. The Bills should circle that one as their Super Bowl and nail those guys who will likely look past the Bills to the trouble in their division.

A couple of really, really, bad calls hurt the Bills last night. Did anyone think that was grounding from the endzone? The receiver was five yards away, you never see that called. The PI call on 3 and long that gave Miami a first and goal was also bogus!

If you get up on Miami, they are toast, that offense can't score enough to compete with good teams.

A couple of really, really, bad calls hurt the Bills last night. Did anyone think that was grounding from the endzone? The receiver was five yards away, you never see that called. The PI call on 3 and long that gave Miami a first and goal was also bogus!

If you get up on Miami, they are toast, that offense can't score enough to compete with good teams.

Yeah, both of those calls were ticky tack and I'd be pissed if I were a Bills fan.

Still, Miami was the better team, so I think the final score was affected more than the standings.

Also Sammy Watkins was invisible last night!! He was open deep once and Orton missed him, but other than that, he was nowhere to be seen.

I wonder is the Bills go back to Manuel now to finish the season, see if he is someone they can work with, or do they have to go back to the drawing board and find a QB.

Also Sammy Watkins was invisible last night!! He was open deep once and Orton missed him, but other than that, he was nowhere to be seen.

I wonder is the Bills go back to Manuel now to finish the season, see if he is someone they can work with, or do they have to go back to the drawing board and find a QB.

You can blame Orton for that. I saw Watkins come open several times only for the throw to let the defender get back into position, or to not get a throw at all.

I can see why Bills fans complain about Marrone's conservative style of football.

And I still don't get the Orton decision. Orton is not a QB that can take a team to the playoffs. Maybe 3 or 4 years ago he was but not today. If they have issues with Manuel then simplify the playbook and let him be a game manager for now. At least he'd be learning something. That at least has more upside down the road than Orton.

The Dolphins really aren't that great a team either. Losing to them again is unacceptable.

I can see why Bills fans complain about Marrone's conservative style of football.

And I still don't get the Orton decision. Orton is not a QB that can take a team to the playoffs. Maybe 3 or 4 years ago he was but not today. If they have issues with Manuel then simplify the playbook and let him be a game manager for now. At least he'd be learning something. That at least has more upside down the road than Orton.

The Dolphins really aren't that great a team either. Losing to them again is unacceptable.

Manuel is a lost cause. He has youth on his side, but he can't throw, can't make good decisions and is terrible under pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes