PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Title change: PFT: The NFL salary cap has been set at $177.2 million

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never claimed he wasn’t being upfront with the franchise, I simply said he should be. Imo Gronk has earned the right to do whatever he wants, he doesn’t owe any if us anything. He is, however, part of a team and an organization, and if he did leave them hanging he would be screwing his friends and teammates. If he’s undecided then tell them that, if he wants more money or a trade if they won’t pay it then tell them that, and if he wants to retire then tell them that. That’s all.

All's I am saying is that those are big IF's that the franchise may already have answers to. I just don't expect answers from the Patriots until May. Gronk may tweet out that he's looking forward to 2018 or whatever, but the organization isn't gonna tell us chit one way of the other.

All's I am saying is that those are big IF's that the franchise may already have answers to. I just don't expect answers from the Patriots until May. Gronk may tweet out that he's looking forward to 2018 or whatever, but the organization isn't gonna tell us chit one way of the other.

I don’t disagree with that at all.

Given how pessimistic some voices sound I was sincerely just curious if I maybe missed another point where Gronk said anything.
I haven’t seen many voices that are pessimistic in the sense that anyone has said that he’s not playing. I think people are concerned because it’s something that is undetermined at the moment. To me, that’s not the definition of pessimistic. It’s the definition of concern.

Gronk timeline:

—rumors about him retiring as far back as December, even before the concussion

—those rumors brought to light on the morning of the SB by a major news outlet (NBC)

—Gronkowski confirms rumors after the conclusion of the game and says that he’ll need a couple of weeks to mull it over

—Those couple of weeks will now be a month this Sunday and there’s still no determination

—In the meantime, his wrestling friend comes out and says that it’s a matter of when, not if he joins

—Gronk recently tweets a cryptic message that seems to add more confusion to the situation

—The previous two offseasons he was openly pissed off about making less money

Last December, Rapoport had reported projections around $174M-$178M, so looks like he had a good source, and looks like the numbers ended up in the best-case scenario.

2018 NFL Salary Cap Reportedly Projected to Be Between $174.2-178.1M

it is not that hard to guess because the numbers are already locked into the cba. it is the when, not if the cap would go up.

this is why the ratings dips right now are crucial to the owners leverage for an even more lucrative deal for the next cba due in 2020.

This team needs
I haven’t seen many voices that are pessimistic in the sense that anyone has said that he’s not playing. I think people are concerned because it’s something that is undetermined at the moment. To me, that’s not the definition of pessimistic. It’s the definition of concern.

Gronk timeline:

—rumors about him retiring as far back as December, even before the concussion

—those rumors brought to light on the morning of the SB by a major news outlet (NBC)

—Gronkowski confirms rumors after the conclusion of the game and says that he’ll need a couple of weeks to mull it over

—Those couple of weeks will now be a month this Sunday and there’s still no determination

—In the meantime, his wrestling friend comes out and says that it’s a matter of when, not if he joins

—Gronk recently tweets a cryptic message that seems to add more confusion to the situation

—The previous two offseasons he was openly pissed off about making less money

Still hard to believe that gronk will retire. I think he will get play a couple of more seasons.

This team needs

Still hard to believe that gronk will retire. I think he will get play a couple of more seasons.
I don’t think any of us have much to go on, aside from one reputable poster who says that he’s heard something from the inside. That is a positive.

I do think that money is a factor. If it weren’t and he was as sure as some believe, why play the guessing game almost a month later? Obviously, he’s either doing that because 1) it’s not a sure thing like some want to believe or 2) he’s trying to get more money. The only other option would be that he’s openly trolling everyone for no reason, I guess.

Not that I know of. The tweet was cryptic though, and I get the sense he’s playing some head games with the team. Imo football requires total commitment, and if Gronk wants to move on with his life he has every right to do so,. He should, however, be upfront with the Patriots about his intentions.

Hopefully prior to the draft. Don't do to the Patriots what Ricky Williams did to the LOLphins.

Hopefully prior to the draft. Don't do to the Patriots what Ricky Williams did to the LOLphins.
I think it needs to be sooner than that, Kontra. The start of free agency is important, because we have the two decisions to make on Bennett (due a 2m dollar bonus) as well as Allen.

Also, if they know that Gronk isn’t coming back or get a feel that he might not be coming back, it may force them to adjust their plans with some other key free agents, or even potentially go after someone they weren’t expecting to consider.

I don't believe Gronk's current antics. I do believe he wants to go into acting and wrestling at some point, but I am not buying he's retiring now.

Leverage/contract ploy.

it is not that hard to guess because the numbers are already locked into the cba. it is the when, not if the cap would go up.

this is why the ratings dips right now are crucial to the owners leverage for an even more lucrative deal for the next cba due in 2020.

Yeah, but there is a bit of variance in the range.

Last year, projections were aiming between $166M and $170M, and the final number came in towards the bottom of that range at $167M. In 2015, the NFL projected the cap to be between $138.6M and $141.8M and it came in at $143.28M.

It's in the ballpark, but not an exact science. And sure, it's "only" a few million here or there, but over a few years, that adds up to some real money...

Much ado about nothing. Gronk is under contract for the next 3 years. He hit all his incentives and brought home 10.75m dollars last season. If you are raking in 10 million dollars and complain you're underpaid then your ego is conflicting with reality. Gronk doesn't have to worry about 'feeding his family' with that kind of paycheck.

I'm pretty sure Gronk's contemplation about retiring had a lot more to do with him deciding whether he could continue to take the mental and physical stress of football rather than a few more dollar figures. I know it's the offseason but the Pats have a lot more worrying concerns on their plate than throwing Gronk a few bucks, such as fixing one of the all-time worst superbowl defensive units for instance.

The good news about the new salary cap numbers is that the Pats have an extra 10-11m dollars to play around with. The bad news is that we will also experience some salary inflation to 2018 free agents as a result of it.

Much ado about nothing. Gronk is under contract for the next 3 years. He hit all his incentives and brought home 10.75m dollars last season. If you are raking in 10 million dollars and complain you're underpaid then your ego is conflicting with reality. Gronk doesn't have to worry about 'feeding his family' with that kind of paycheck.

I'm pretty sure Gronk's contemplation about retiring had a lot more to do with him deciding whether he could continue to take the mental and physical stress of football rather than a few more dollar figures. I know it's the offseason but the Pats have a lot more worrying concerns on their plate than throwing Gronk a few bucks, such as fixing one of the all-time worst superbowl defensive units for instance.

The good news about the new salary cap numbers is that the Pats have an extra 10-11m dollars to play around with. The bad news is that we will also experience some salary inflation to 2018 free agents as a result of it.
Apologies if this response seems a but nit picky. Gronk is technically only under contract through the end of 2019, so it would be 2 years, not 3. The team actually only has a total of 10 players under contract for 2020 and Gronk is not one of them.

Although the team gave him some extra money last year, that was 2017, and this is a new season. I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s looking for another bump in pay or even another extension which would give him peace of mind in regards to one more big guaranteed deal vs. his injury history and amount of abuse that his body goes through on a yearly basis. In other words, he goes back to being underpaid again this year, so it’s not out of the realm of possibility to think that he wants more money.

In regards to the salary cap, it’s coming in right where we’ve all expected (178m), so there’s no real “extra 10-11 million dollars” that wasn’t accounted for in everyone’s projections. There’s a rumor that it could climb to 179 or 180m, so there would be an extra couple of million, should that happen.

Let’s just hope the story with Gronk turns out alright and goes the hell away. I think we’ve all had enough at this point.

NFL teams now know what they have to spend.

The NFL salary cap has been set at $177.2 million, Mike Garafolo of NFL Media reports. Teams were informed of the number Monday.

The NFL projected a range of $174.2 million to $178.1 million for cap, and recently there were thoughts it would be at least $178 million and could exceed $179 million.

The $177.2 million number still is a healthy increase from the $168 million last season.

Report: Salary cap set at $177.2 million

So how much ****ing cap room does that give the Pats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Back