PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Timing issue is BS, Pats WR's not that good

Status
Not open for further replies.
AzPatsFan said:
Baloney. If the receiver was supposed to run an 11 yard out and is actually 9yards out the Pass will be "high". If he runs a 12 yard incut when he was supposed to be an 8 yard incut, the pass will be at his feet, and "low'.

If he cut the wrong way the pass won't be close to him if thrown, at all.

If Brady doesn't know what the receiver was going to do, so he holds it too long; he may thenthrow it away at the WRs feet to insure no INT. I've seen him do that on at least half a dozen failed screens.

Well, you'd be correct if Brady was infallible and every single route the Pats run was a timing route. Brady isn't and the routes aren't. So, the baloney is what you are feeding people here. Not to mention that Brady is supposed to be one of the quickest and best thinkers at QB in the NFL. One would think that he'd be able to adjust for that because based on what he sees his receivers doing.

BTW, There have been plenty of people who have pointed out that Brady has missed the open receivers on more than one occasion. Both with over-throwing and under-throwing the ball. If the player is OPEN, there is no reason for Brady to not hit the guy in the numbers.

There is fault both ways. But, I am sick and tired of people giving Brady a free pass when he isn't playing well. He needs to be held accountable like everyone else.

The one pass in particular I remember was the pass to Gabriel that ended up being intercepted. It wouldn't have mattered if Gabriel was running a 12 yard route vs an 8 yard route. The ball was so terribly over-thrown, it was going to be intercepted whether Gabriel got a hand on it or not. That is Brady.

DaBruinz said:
Well, you'd be correct if Brady was infallible and every single route the Pats run was a timing route. Brady isn't and the routes aren't. So, the baloney is what you are feeding people here. Not to mention that Brady is supposed to be one of the quickest and best thinkers at QB in the NFL. One would think that he'd be able to adjust for that because based on what he sees his receivers doing.

BTW, There have been plenty of people who have pointed out that Brady has missed the open receivers on more than one occasion. Both with over-throwing and under-throwing the ball. If the player is OPEN, there is no reason for Brady to not hit the guy in the numbers.

There is fault both ways. But, I am sick and tired of people giving Brady a free pass when he isn't playing well. He needs to be held accountable like everyone else.

The one pass in particular I remember was the pass to Gabriel that ended up being intercepted. It wouldn't have mattered if Gabriel was running a 12 yard route vs an 8 yard route. The ball was so terribly over-thrown, it was going to be intercepted whether Gabriel got a hand on it or not. That is Brady.

Tell me about it.

I can't believe the lengths some are willing to go to defend Brady.

And don't give me the "You have no right to criticize him because of his past performances" bull****. All that does is go towards explaining why what we're seeing is an anomaly.

AzPatsFan said:
Baloney. If the receiver was supposed to run an 11 yard out and is actually 9yards out the Pass will be "high". If he runs a 12 yard incut when he was supposed to be an 8 yard incut, the pass will be at his feet, and "low'.

If he cut the wrong way the pass won't be close to him if thrown, at all.

If Brady doesn't know what the receiver was going to do, so he holds it too long; he may thenthrow it away at the WRs feet to insure no INT. I've seen him do that on at least half a dozen failed screens.

The problem with most fans here is that they are taking sides. Yeah, the WRs are not running precise routes, and yeah, Brady is not looking quite himself.

I just can't blame everything on the WRs. On the other hand, Brady would clearly look better with his WRs from last year, due to familiarity.

Too take one side or the other is missing the point, IMO. Brady has thrown away some balls to avoid INTs, yes, and he has also made his share of inaccurate throws.

Two sided issue. Everyone needs to work together to clean up the passing game. Enough blame to go around, IMO! :eek:

NEM said:
McDaniels is having the receivers run routes that are not Brady's best......He is afraid of the out routes. It is obvious that he is afraid of interception return down the sidelines for TD. He thrives on inside routes, his adreniline flows in the no huddle quick pasing game inside.

McDaniels is handcuffing him and his accuracy is off.

Due to our running game most of the defenders are in the middle. That's a simple fact. If McDaniels is running pass plays away from that mess it's to SAVE Brady some INTs, not helping to cause any.

If Brady's WR does something he doesn't expect and Brady throws it at his feet or over his head on the outside it clangs off the turf and we all moan. If he throws it short or high over the middle it's a good bet that either a safety or a LB is going to pick it off.

The WRs and Brady's lack of familiarity are 'handcuffing' McDaniels, if anything or anyone is handcuffed on this team.

They are playing the percentages and allowing Brady a margin for error. By the number of incomplete passes this is a good idea. Brady and his WRs are not synched up. By Brady's low INT number it's a doubley good idea. His missed passes are clanging off of the turf or flying out of bounds instead of flying into the teeth of the defense in the middle.

If you think that the passing game should be performing every route and running them successfully with 80% turnover at the WR position and Gabriel and Jackson not even having much TC time then you're simply not being realistic.

Caldwell and Brown are the only WRs on this roster that had a full TC, this is why they have been starting most of the games even as Gabriel and Jackson have gotten healthy. Brown knows what to do. That doesn't mean he's quick enough to do it consistently as a #1 option, but at least he knows what he's doing. Caldwell knows more of what he's doing, but even he is only as far along as Dwight or Davis were last season, and they had the luxury of playing behind Givens, Brown, and Branch.

Any one of Caldwell, Jackson or Gabriel would look a hell of alot better with one or two established vets playing above them on the depthchart and distracting defenses. With only Troy Brown ahead of them the defense isn't being stretched. They're not respecting the deep threat, and why should they? None of our WRs have proven that they are healthy enough to threaten anything deep.

Troy is too old and has lost a step, Caldwell is not a burner, Gabriel has some straightline speed but is also not a 4.3 type, Jackson may have that speed, but with a 90% hammy he's not blazing deep either.

As Jaws said it's hard to find windows in the D when you're only stretching them horizontally and not vertically. None of the healthy WRs have been able to do anything deep yet.

This is why the calls are to the 'safer' areas of the field, not because of any mental handicap of the OC. He's putting the passing game in a position to have some success without alot of risk. And it's worked. 8 TDs, 3 INTs. 54% completions. It's only obvious. Stop blaming the OC and look at the situational football they are playing.

Defenses will be loading up to stop Maroney and Dillon, why throw it right over all those players heads? Why do you want more risk before the offense is more familiar with each other?

The limited formula has worked while they've needed it. As they get better the playcalling will change. And when it does, it'll be because the WRs and Brady are ready for additional risk, not because the OC suddenly started listening to you.

You can already see the offense slowly starting to incorporate more routes like that as they go along, but they're not there yet. You saw more complex routes against the Bengals, then against the Dolphins it was cut back a bit. Brady knows and respects the Dolphins DL and LBs, as does the HC and OC here. So of course they were attempting to pick on the lesser outside of the defense.

It's safer. And it worked.

I still don't get why you're complaining now. If we are still seeing this type of offense in week 12 I'd get it, but so far the reasons for playcalls have been obvious. And the playcalling has allowed the offense to move the ball and score points. This has been the absolute best scenario possible for an offense with 80% turnover at the WR position and yet you still find a way to complain. It amazes me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes