PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Three Cheers for Pierre Woods

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a great piece...read that months ago..and couldn't find it..Woods is the guy!!!

Very cool Post.
REAL PEOPLE baby!

Thanks for posting that link. He sure sounds like a character guy; I love to read that kind of stuff about these guys. Makes me want him to succeed all the more.

Thanks for the post!

I have never seen him play a down but for some reason, I have a feeling that this kid will way surpass expections. Pats seem to have their share of players that have had some hard knocks outside of football, but always pull through. I guess you'll find them if you go after the real 'character' guys.

Was there something that caused teams to pass on him in the draft?

He'll probably be waived in an hour and replaced by another lb.

Man, that's hard stuff. I feel for the guy. But he shows hella HEART. I love that. I hope he makes an impact.

Is he the only undrafted FA to make the team?

I ran into Pierre after the Michigan game yesterday. Talked with him briefly and wished him well for the upcoming season. He is ecstatic to have made the roster thusfar, and had high expectations for the season. Pierre said that he'll bring his SB ring to the opener next year. :D

Other than Mike Wright, Eric Alexander, Randall Gay, not sure about Mruczkowski, Evans. Neal was never drafted.

Alexander came off the practice squad for a game or two last year. As did Bam Childress.

Woods is the only udfa from this year's draft class.

Urgent said:
Woods is the only udfa from this year's draft class.
Thank you, that's what I meant.

His mom's name is Jacqueline Tatum. Or, shortened, Jac Tatum.

That seems like a good sign to me, even if he's not a safety.

after his soph season he was projected to be a high round draft pick
but then he didnt do much his jr and sr year

he def has always showed the ability
i LOVED it when i heard they were giving him a chance as i posted in here months ago, and now i LOVE it even more that hes made the team

this guy could be a big time playmaker a couple yrs from now

I was very intrigued by his size and that he played at Michigan. I remember that he was a big time prospect, who either got hurt, or under performed his last 2 years. He is definately the BB type of LB, ex-Dlineman, with good size and speed. I thought Mincey would make it too, but obviously Woods out performed him. Hopefully, the next Vrabel. Michigan Dave, it's too cool that you get to talk to these guys, were you pals with Brady when he went to Michigan ?

scott99 said:
I was very intrigued by his size and that he played at Michigan. I remember that he was a big time prospect, who either got hurt, or under performed his last 2 years. He is definately the BB type of LB, ex-Dlineman, with good size and speed. I thought Mincey would make it too, but obviously Woods out performed him. Hopefully, the next Vrabel. Michigan Dave, it's too cool that you get to talk to these guys, were you pals with Brady when he went to Michigan ?

Pierre didn't get hurt- he got into Lloyd Carr's doghouse. There was never issues with talent with Pierre- heck, in 2003 he was a beast- but he didn't always come to play, and Lloyd hated that. He rode Pierre, and never really played him his last 2 years. It sucked, because when he played he usually played very well. Pierre seemed to "get it" the end of last year, and sounded yesterday like he really got it.

Yeah, Tommy was probably my best friend from the UM team when I was there. I was with the team from 98-00, so I know those guys pretty well, and then talk to the new kids every once in a while. The guys in the league usually show up for week 1 or their bye week, so it's nice to see them come back.

Michigan Dave said:
Pierre didn't get hurt- he got into Lloyd Carr's doghouse. There was never issues with talent with Pierre- heck, in 2003 he was a beast- but he didn't always come to play, and Lloyd hated that. He rode Pierre, and never really played him his last 2 years. It sucked, because when he played he usually played very well. Pierre seemed to "get it" the end of last year, and sounded yesterday like he really got it.

Yeah, Tommy was probably my best friend from the UM team when I was there. I was with the team from 98-00, so I know those guys pretty well, and then talk to the new kids every once in a while. The guys in the league usually show up for week 1 or their bye week, so it's nice to see them come back.

Michigan Dave, what position did you play ?

Michigan Dave said:

oh nice
were u a player or with the team in some other fashion

from BB's pressconf today ... via Chris Price's blog:

Q: Pierre Woods was a special teams captain at Michigan. Was that a big reason why you kept him, his ability to play on the kicking team?

BB: Sure, that helped him. No question that helped him.

Q: With a player like that, would special teams almost take precedent because he could maybe compete there earlier than he would be able to on defense?

BB: I think it's a factor. I'm not sure exactly how that would be weighted, but it's definitely a factor. But his ability on defense is a factor too. He has improved over the course of the preseason and training camp, so I think that's good. That's kind of what you want to see. How far that is going to go, we don't know. Maybe we’re just starting or maybe we’re close to the end. That's what will determine it. But he's made a lot of progress in both phases of the game, special teams and defense. I think he has some skill. He’s shown some ability to rush the passer. He’s shown some ability to play the run. He’s shown he can cover kicks and block a little bit in the open field. I feel like he's a good guy to work with and that had a lot to do with him making the final roster. Now how much he’ll be able to contribute or how long that lasts, that will depend on how his performance is.

flutie2phelan said:
from BB's pressconf today ... via Chris Price's blog:

Q: Pierre Woods was a special teams captain at Michigan. Was that a big reason why you kept him, his ability to play on the kicking team?

BB: Sure, that helped him. No question that helped him.

Q: With a player like that, would special teams almost take precedent because he could maybe compete there earlier than he would be able to on defense?

BB: I think it's a factor. I'm not sure exactly how that would be weighted, but it's definitely a factor. But his ability on defense is a factor too. He has improved over the course of the preseason and training camp, so I think that's good. That's kind of what you want to see. How far that is going to go, we don't know. Maybe we’re just starting or maybe we’re close to the end. That's what will determine it. But he's made a lot of progress in both phases of the game, special teams and defense. I think he has some skill. He’s shown some ability to rush the passer. He’s shown some ability to play the run. He’s shown he can cover kicks and block a little bit in the open field. I feel like he's a good guy to work with and that had a lot to do with him making the final roster. Now how much he’ll be able to contribute or how long that lasts, that will depend on how his performance is.

in other words this guy made the team because he can play some defense and he will get a chance to do so
FRICKIN AWESOME

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back