PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Thoughts on the 2006 Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

dryheat44

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
#21 Lawrence Maroney. I had him as a first round grade, going at #20 in the mock. What's not to like? The most complete RB in the draft. I'm guessing what sold BB on him over Addai and Williams is his blitz pickup skills. He's also only taken 1 1/2 years worth of hits, compared to 4 for Williams.

#36 Chad Jackson. First round grade, #15 in the mock. I don't think Belichick was planning on grabbing him, but I don't think Belichick was planning on him being available. Possibly the highest upside of any WR in the draft, although he may be one of those 3rd year breakout WRs. Any production we get out of him this year will be gravy.

#86 David Thomas. Fourth round grade, #121 in the mock. Versatile guy. Mayock said on Saturday that he watched every Texas game on film, and he didn't see Thomas drop a single pass. And he made some really tough ones. We definitely needed another tight end. I can see Thomas playing a wing position in spot duty this year. Long snapping ability obviously helps.

#106 Garrett Mills. Sixth round grade, #107. I really like this kid from Go to take over Pass' role. His low grade was more a reflection of his tweener status than talent. I think the fact that he was taken early Day 2 shows that lots of teams coveted him. Also long snapping experience.

#118 Stephen Gostkowski. I don't grade kickers. Undrafted in mock. What's to say? I would have much rather waited a round or two and get some position players instead. Obviously Belichick likes him a great deal. I think he almost has to make the team.

#136 Ryan O'Callaghan. Second round grade, #59. Atypical heavy lineman for BB. Good strength, needs some major coaching with his footwork. In college, played every OL position save center. Great value with the pick. Pro Bowl upside.

#191 Jeremy Mincey. Last-minute removal from my board, due to size/speed ratio. #222 in mock. Kid must just ooze intangibles. Seems like a long term project.

#205 Dan Stevenson. Not on my board, undrafted. Didn't like him personally. Seems destined to the PS.

#206 LeKevin Smith. Not on my board, due to character issues and seems to be an ill fit, #148 in the mock. BB says he'll be predominantly a NT. At best, I think he's a PS guy. I thought LaCasse would have been a great pick here.

#229 Willie Andrews. Fifth round grade, undrafted. I like this kid a lot, and was hoping we'd get him in as a UDFA. Leader in the backfield, good tackler, good special teams performer. High intangible, high character guy. Could knock Bethel off the roster.

Fred Roach. Last-minute removal from my draft board, due to my liking other guys better. #123 in the mock. Great UDFA signing. Undersized, but productive. Decent chance of sticking.

Corey Bramlett. Last-minute removal from my draft board, due to my liking other guys better. Nice arm, good family genes. Training camp fodder, with outside chance to be the #3 or #4 (PS) quarterback.

Keon Jackson. Seventh round grade, undrafted. Small school concerns. Seems like a good player. If I were to choose one from the guys signed so far, he'd be my choice to be this year's Randy Gay/Mike Wright.

Randy Hand, Jarvis Herring, Vernell Brown, Matt Shelton, Corey Mays, Erik Davis - Don't know a lot about them, other than Hand. I'd be shocked if any of them stick.

Guys I'd like to sign, who don't appear to be signed yet:

RB DonTrell Moore. He'll need a redshirt year, but he could be a steal if he returns to pre-injury agility.

TE Troy Bienemann. I realize we need another tight end like I need a bag on my hip, but too talented not to try out.

OT Seppo Evwaraye - Native of Finland who just learned how to play football. Strong dude. You ever watch World's Strongest Man competitions? Have you ever noticed how an alarmingly large percentage of those guys are Finns? I've often wondered why Belichick didn't sign two or three to play line. They probably make more money doing what they do. Enormous upside.

Cs Pat Ross, Kyle Roper. We definitely need one. Ross is the more NFL ready.

NTs Gerald Anderson, Chris Herring, Brandon McKinney - Herring's from a small program, so he could be a good PS candidate that pays off. The other two played D-1, but have been accused of taking plays off. If motivated, they could compete for a backup job.

DEs Manaia Brown, Darrell Adams. I'm shocked Brown wasn't drafted. We can never have too many DE candidates.

OLBs Brandon Guillory, John Chick, Ben Ishola. All college DEs with the size and speed to play OLB for us. We can never have too many OLB candidates.

ILB Valentine Chude. Small school prospect who is well worth bringing in to evaluate who mentally acute he is, and how he competes against better-pedigreed talent.

CBs Khalid Naziruddin, Dion Byrum. Good cover guys at their often overlooked schools.

FS Jaxson Appel, Mario Stevenson, Ray Washington. I feel good about Wilson and the rest, but bringing some people to push them is advisable.

K Jon Scifres. Personally, I'm cool if they bring five more kickers in.

Last edited:
Boy, 2002 was just as good as 2006!!! Time for that 2nd cup heatster!!!

PatsChick87 said:
Boy, 2002 was just as good as 2006!!! Time for that 2nd cup heatster!!!
My God....I've spent the last hour puzzled at what you were talking about with 2002.

Thanks. Error will be corrected if I can figure out how. I'm not sure you can edit thread titles.

Last edited:
The Pats finished 2006 with the 7th best offense in the NFL and the 24th best defense in the NFL. Yet BB chose to address the offense. Clearly BB was not happy with the run/pass ratio the Pats used in 2006. Increase the yards per rush, creates benefits in both time of possession and matchups in the opposing secondary, especially if the SS phas to play in the box.
He's indirectly indicating the best way to protect Brady is by building a better running game. And he's also indirectly indicating that regardles of the ankle sprains and the injuries and inexperience on the OL, that Dillion needs to step it up.
With picks 36, 86, 106, 136 and 191 he picked up replacements for departed veterans and with the drafting of Mills, may have sent Pass an indirect message as well.
So why ingnore the defense.
- Because over the last quarter of the season, when everybody was arguably at their healthiest, the defense played great.
- Because he has an army of IR defensive IR players coming back this year, especailly in the secondary.

I'm left feeling that some additional defensive moves are still needed between now and TC. However we are much improved offensively from where we were on April 28th. I'm not sure if we are better offensively than we were on Feb 3rd.

Last edited:
dryheat44 said:
My God....I've spent the last hour puzzled at what you were talking about with 2002.

Thanks. Error will be corrected if I can figure out how. I'm not sure you can edit thread titles.

Sorry to make you worry so!;) By the way great post! Who's the quote by on your sig? Love it!!

PatsChick87 said:
Sorry to make you worry so!;) By the way great post! Who's the quote by on your sig? Love it!!

I wish I remembered. I want to say Ty Warren, but honestly it could have been Seymour, Colvin, McGinest, Graham, or "unnamed Patriots player".

I was expecting Lawson to be our pick, but I'm ok with Maroney. The best scenario probably would have been to trade down. Unfortunately there probably weren't many takers other than the Steelers & that would have been too far. Obviously Jackson was a steal in the 2nd round. We shouldn't have taken a kicker so early, but at least we probably got the best one. Ryan O'Callaghan was another steal on day 2.

Great draft analysis.
Isn't it true that we are limited to 88 players in camp (due to nfle roster exemptions).
Still bring in the talent and evaluate it.

As always, I appreciate the time you take w/ your analysis. I was also thinking of KR/ PR as udfa but I am braindead today. Anyone have any thoughts?

Glad to see that you took the extra trouble to backfill your own industrious work.
Plus ... evidence of your commendable acuity as a forecaster ... lets me feel better about
falling so hard for so much of your hogwash! :p

I join you in seeing Stevenson's ceiling this year as the p/s.

But if you want LaCasse so much ... why didn't you send him to Florida when you had the chance?

Ochmed Jones said:
The Pats finished 2006 with the 7th best offense in the NFL and the 24th best defense in the NFL. Yet BB chose to address the offense. Clearly BB was not happy with the run/pass ratio the Pats used in 2006. Increase the yards per rush, creates benefits in both time of possession and matchups in the opposing secondary, especially if the SS phas to play in the box.
He's indirectly indicating the best way to protect Brady is by building a better running game. And he's also indirectly indicating that regardles of the ankle sprains and the injuries and inexperience on the OL, that Dillion needs to step it up.
With picks 36, 86, 106, 136 and 191 he picked up replacements for departed veterans and with the drafting of Mills, may have sent Pass an indirect message as well.
- Because over the last quarter of the season, when everybody was arguably at their healthiest, the defense played great.
- Because he has an army of IR defensive IR players coming back this year, especailly in the secondary.

I'm left feeling that some additional defensive moves are still needed between now and TC. However we are much improved offensively from where we were on April 28th. I'm not sure if we are better offensively than we were on Feb 3rd.

I agree in '05 we spent a lot of resources on protecting Brady, this year we give him a bunch of offensive tools that will give this team more options and extend the career of Brady...I expect this offense to look completely different. Nothing against Faulk, Pass or Evans, but when Dillon got injured they did not exactly strike fear into the opposing defenses...Maroney will, and give us more options when he gets tired...

flutie2phelan said:

But if you want LaCasse so much ... why didn't you send him to Florida when you had the chance?

I'm a Syracuse alum...they went 1-10 with LaCasse. I couldn't let them go 0-fer.

Update, taking off the signed UDFAs.....

dryheat44 said:
TE Troy Bienemann. I realize we need another tight end like I need a bag on my hip, but too talented not to try out.

NTs Gerald Anderson, Chris Herring - Herring's from a small program, so he could be a good PS candidate that pays off. The other played D-1, but has been accused of taking plays off. If motivated, he could compete for a backup job.

OLBs Brandon Guillory, Ben Ishola. Both college DEs with the size and speed to play OLB for us. We can never have too many OLB candidates.

ILB Valentine Chude. Small school prospect who is well worth bringing in to evaluate who mentally acute he is, and how he competes against better-pedigreed talent.

CBs Khalid Naziruddin. Good cover guy at often overlooked school.

FS Jaxson Appel, Mario Stevenson, Ray Washington. I feel good about Wilson and the rest, but bringing some people to push them is advisable.

K Jon Scifres. Personally, I'm cool if they bring five more kickers in.

I loved the draft overall.... We definately needed to upgrade skill offense positions. My only head-scratching moment was a kicker at #118 in the 4th. As far as I know he's the only kicker drafted...... Couldn't we have used a 6th on him and no offense meant to him or his abilty.....There's were tons of really good players at #118. I'm not in the FO though so I dunno....:confused:

Ochmed Jones said:

Good points, I was thinking it would be a defensive draft, but you're absolutely correct that the defense played very well toward the end of the year. Defensive line is clearly in good shape with good depth. Questions about the secondary are, IMO, largely questions about health. Will Rodney be able to come back strong and can the rest of the secondary stay reasonably healthy? If yes, the secondary will be very solid, though it would be nice to have a true lockdown corner. My biggest defensive question marks are at LB. I think the brain trust thinks it's very difficult to draft a kid out of college who can step in and play LB in the Pat's system; so someone like Lawson at #21 might have great potential down the road but perhaps couldn't step in and help the team right away. And I think they want some first year production from their first round pick. So I think they drafted a DE relatively late with the hopes of grooming him to become an OLB at some point in the future. I suspect they'll bring in 1 or 2 veteren LBs June.

Feep_FLA said:
I loved the draft overall.... We definately needed to upgrade skill offense positions. My only head-scratching moment was a kicker at #118 in the 4th. As far as I know he's the only kicker drafted...... Couldn't we have used a 6th on him and no offense meant to him or his abilty.....There's were tons of really good players at #118. I'm not in the FO though so I dunno....:confused:
I don't think it is relative to his ability or where he probably would have gone. If you really want a player, one certain player, the only way to make sure you get him is to draft him before someone else does. So my guess is that BB wanted this guy enough to draft him before anyone else did.

Which he did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye